2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD - oil filter rec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the dealer isn't able to put the correct viscosity oil in my ATS 2.0T it looks like I'm going to change the oil myself going forward.

As usual I'm targeting the Fram XG, unless there's someone that can provide a better alternative to the XG10060?

You bought a Cadillac then put one of the cheapest made filters on it? Ok then... I would rather use the Fram Ultra, AC Delco, WIX.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
You bought a Cadillac then put one of the cheapest made filters on it? Ok then... I would rather use the Fram Ultra, AC Delco, WIX.

Fram Ultra = Fram XG

My question was if there was anything better suited to the application.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Fram Ultra = Fram XG

My question was if there was anything better suited to the application.
My bad, thought that was the Extra Guard. I would use the Ultra on the application. Nothing wrong with it.

What is your OCI? Obviously, bang for the buck it is nearly impossible to beat a FRAM Ultra, but there are many other filters that will suffice if your OCI is not a long one. WIX and FRAM Tough Guard come to mind for a shorter OCI than a XG is rated.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
What is your OCI? Obviously, bang for the buck it is nearly impossible to beat a FRAM Ultra, but there are many other filters that will suffice if your OCI is not a long one. WIX and FRAM Tough Guard come to mind for a shorter OCI than a XG is rated.

Was planning on letting the OLM tell me when to change it. Any idea what that may be?

The manual states no more than 12k (7.5k miles) between OCIs. With the Ultra being rated at 20k miles, would it make sense to leave it on for 2 OCI?

In the grand scheme of life the cost of a great oil filter and oil will not make much of a difference money wise over 10 years. I would go with a Fram Ultra and a tasty synthetic. That way you will be assured that the engine is happy and you will sleep well at night knowing you made the best choice for your investment.

Was planning on letting the OLM tell me when to change it. Any idea what that may be?

The manual states no more than 12k (7.5k miles) between OCIs. With the Ultra being rated at 20k miles, would it make sense to leave it on for 2 OCI?
Most iOLMs are conservative, but in the interest of your warranty, I would follow the requirements which probably do not allow for two OCs with the same filter. Grab a WIX or Tough Guard for 5-7K and call it good.

Most iOLMs are conservative, but in the interest of your warranty, I would follow the requirements which probably do not allow for two OCs with the same filter. Grab a WIX or Tough Guard for 5-7K and call it good.

Agreed. There's no language accommodating two OCIs per filter in the manual. I'll be changing it out with an Ultra XG10060 each time.

12K. No. You need to go 6000 to 8000, that was based of my oil analysis of the oil in the Malibu, which is the same engine. I go 4000. Change your filter. Please don't cheap out.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
12K. No. You need to go 6000 to 8000, that was based of my oil analysis of the oil in the Malibu, which is the same engine. I go 4000. Change your filter. Please don't cheap out.

AMEN!
thumbsup2.gif

Just completed the oil change. Hallelujah to GM and their filter placement. One of the easiest locations ever.

I changed the oil on my parents Suzuki SX4. If you haven't changed the oil filter on that car, you're lucky. That car gets one filter every year. It's the worst filter location I have ever come across.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

Are we talking miles or kilometers? 4k KM seems too early. If you're talking miles, that's about 6.4k KM.

Do you have the link to your UOAs?

Just completed the oil change. Hallelujah to GM and their filter placement. One of the easiest locations ever.

I changed the oil on my parents Suzuki SX4. If you haven't changed the oil filter on that car, you're lucky. That car gets one filter every year. It's the worst filter location I have ever come across.

Sounds like a candidate for an Ultra used for multiple oil changes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I agree with Z06, EXCEPT for the multiple OCI's on the same filter. The FU is now rated up to 20K miles, correct? Use it for that length, maybe less, along with a good synthetic oil to match the FU's mileage.

Correct. I installed an FU on it with AFE 0w30 on the last OCI. I plan on leaving that filter on for two OCI. My parents do maybe 7.5k miles per year.

Seriously though, check out some videos on the filter placement on that car. It's insane. You need small elf hands to get to it.

Correct. I installed an FU on it with AFE 0w30 on the last OCI. I plan on leaving that filter on for two OCI. My parents do maybe 7.5k miles per year.

Seriously though, check out some videos on the filter placement on that car. It's insane. You need small elf hands to get to it.

I checked out a video on YT about the oil filter location and how to remove/install it. It looks like a lot of fun......but, I wouldn't change it until the engine is cooled down!
BTW, I would NEVER use the same filter for multiple OCI's! But, that's just me.
cool.gif

Research on various GM forums indicates that there may be a higher bypass on the PF64 of around 20-22 psi. The Fram XG10060 states 9-12 psi.

Is that something to be concerned about? I certainly don't want a filter going into bypass more than absolutely necessary with this engine.

This engine has a Two-Stage, Variable-Displacement Oil Pump, as per the specs at:

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/2l-ltg.html

Here's also a TSB that warns against after market oil filters:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm35ot0wxbxoq8l/oil_filters_requirement.pdf?dl=0

Quote:

"New technologies have increased oil flow rate, resulting in higher engine pressure differentials across the oil filter, requiring oil filters with higher oil filter bypass settings. Oil filters made by different manufacturers may have significantly lower oil filter bypass settings than required by today’s GM engines, resulting in unfiltered oil to the engine bearings, resulting in accelerated bearing wear and potential bearing damage."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back