2017-2019 Toyotas: what OCI do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 2017 Camry XLE 4 cylinder with 10,000 miles. It only has 7 months of new car warranty left. OM calls for 10K mile oil changes with 0w-20 synthetic oil. Toyota owners: what say ye?

10,000 mile OCI with a quality name brand synthetic and an OEM or a premium filter from one of the well known brands.

Why are you asking? It is too late, you already bought the Camry.
If you don't trust the recommended OCI, then you can always do it more often.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

He's not asking if he should purchase the vehicle. He's asking about the validity of the 10k OCI spec.

I'm old but still have a hard time with 10k.
Tonight I changed the oil on our 16 4Runner.
6.5k OCI and the oil was really not that dirty to the eye.
I use OEM filters and tonight was Mobil1 0w20.

I can't wrap my head around 16K Km OCI, no matter how hard I try so I follow the 8K Km or severe use.
This has served me well with the 16 or so cars I've owned and never had any engine problems on any of them.

I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and been following the 10k OCI. Any reason I shouldn't? Other than the severe service schedule?

There Are a majority of late model Toyota's running the Recomended OCI. It seems to be working out fine..

Personally I have some hang ups keeping me closer to the severe intervals such as some severe driving conditions.

Originally Posted by NH73
I have a 2017 RAV4 Hybrid and been following the 10k OCI. Any reason I shouldn't? Other than the severe service schedule?

Nope. Keep on motoring.

Originally Posted by JMJNet

I was only polling current Toyota owners to see what they do. I appreciate the feedback.

Well, this is what UOAs are for. Run it out for 10K change and test and see if you like the numbers. You won't break your car.

I tested a different car with a 10K OM. I thought based on the test that 10K was cutting it too close. So now I change at about 7,500 mi. Considerable margin of error but not OCD.

More to the point, I have a change interval based on data not old wives' tales.

Your car probably has break in metals still, so I would do a couple of 5K changes before testing.

5k OCI for our Toyotas, which is about every 6 months for each vehicle. OM calls for 10k OCI with 0W-20 on both. I know 10k is probably fine but I'm just not entirely comfortable with it.

Got a new Highlander in Oct. Wifes daily driver. Just did first change at 3200 miles. Plan to do 7500 from now on with 5w20 synthetic. Book says 0w20 is ideal but 5w is acceptable. My truck takes 5w20 so I just buy that (three 5 qt jugs gets me one oil change on both vehicles). Driven mostly highway, about 16 or 17k miles per year.

Though they won't admit it (some don't even understand it), the vast majority of people qualify for the "severe conditions" driving OCI's. As such, I do 5k OCI's on all my vehicles. I don't trust the generic car computer algorithms, etc. To me "mostly highway" is at least 51%. Personally, if I'm being honest with myself, I never come close to 51% highway, and anything less than that is severe duty. To each his own however...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meulenms
GM got into some trouble with their algorithms, to long of an interval, so did Hyundai.

Toyota has been recommending 10K mile OCIs for +10 years now? If it was going to be an issue it would've manifested by now. Lot's of high-mile Toyota engines on the road that have had 10K mile OCIs.

My 2019 Lexus RX calls for 10K mile OCIs. I changed the FF at 5K miles and will change again at 10K miles and then I'll go 10K mile OCI from there on out. It's easy to remember and will happen about once per year and I have no reason to second guess Toyota here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back