2016 Nissan Rogue oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend just got a 2016 Nissan Rogue with the 2.5L engine (QR25DE). I will be doing the oil changes on her Rouge as I told her NOT to get the stupid service contract. Since the QR25DE engine is probably unchanged from 2015, but I don't want to buy an aftermarket oil filter until the filter makers list the filter in their manuals.

Since it is a 2016 only Wix has the proper filter listed on their website. The Wix 51358 is like $13 at the auto parts stores.

I called the Nissan dealer and the parts guy said the 2016 Rogue takes the same oil filter at the 2015. I asked him for a price for the Nissan oil filter (part # 1520865F0E), and they want $5.83 each. This seems like a good price on am OEM filter. I gather Nissan OEM oil filters are just as good as the other filters.

Thanks.

5.83 is not bad. I use Fram Ultra 6607's in my Rogue. an M1-108 also works well. right now at advance you can get a 5qt jug of Penzz Plat with a KN filter for $30.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
5.83 is not bad. I use Fram Ultra 6607's in my Rogue. an M1-108 also works well. right now at advance you can get a 5qt jug of Penzz Plat with a KN filter for $30.

What year is your Rogue?

What type of drain plug thread and gasket does the Rogue use? It looks like they use some copper gasket. Are these "special" gaskets or will any drain plug gasket work?

Thanks.

The Wix 51358 also is listed for my M35. Nothing wrong with Nissan oil filters. I used up a case of 10 on my car. But if you're going to use full synthetic and want to save some money on a very good filter, you can buy the Fram Pro Series Synthetic filter (FPS6607) on eBay for less than $36 for a case of six, including shipping. Its nearly identical to the Fram Ultra, without the black end grip.

If the new Rogue is like so many other Nissan models, it uses a copper crush washer. Dealers usually charge about a buck, but they are less on eBay in packs of 5 or 10.

While under warranty, stick with Nissan filters. At $5.83, it's worth it. I'm using the 65F0E filter and it's fine. Nissans use a copper crush washer. My dealer includes one with each filter.

Last edited:
$ 5.83 is a fine price for the Nissan filter. I would just buy them because they can't find any fault with using their OEM filters. On my Nissan I use the upsize 7317 Fram Ultra. Same bypass psi and everything else. It most likely has a higher efficiency and holding capacity than the Nissan filter. But hey, for less than $6 for the OEM you can't beat that either really. Ohh and beware of the CVT on that rogue. Been some difficulties with the JATCO CVTs in the last couple of years.

2016 - although I just picked it up and have not changed the oil yet. I'm basing my knowledge on my experience with my Sentra; which I did pick up a bag of the proper crush washers for the Sentra on ebay, but admittedly I have (so far) re-used what came with the car.

I always pick up the proper crush washers (when used) and o-rings for my equipment - but rarely change it until I suspect that the condition is questionable. many sources sell the proper washers - likely any of them would work.

I picked up a case of the Fram professional filters that are equivalent to the Ultra. Based on your post, I did check many online oil filter lookups and many dont have a listing for the 2016 filter yet - even if they do list the proper oil. (Mobil 1, Fram, Amsoil) The Autozone site does list the same 6607 filter for a 2016. I, too, was tempted to simply buy filters from the dealer - but I have always believed that we can get equal or better filters. besides, my next door neighbor works for Fram.

Obviously you are likely aware that the CVT's are not universally loved; but I dont believe that the new ones are as fragile as some internet hype would lead you to believe. The CVT allows me to get great mileage in my Sentra (40 hwy; which is better than my echo) - and I am no hypermiler. From what I can tell, the CVT does not help the mileage on the Rogue compared to its competition - but I dont have a track record on mine yet. I haven't even added it to my sig yet.

Last edited:
FWIW, I'm using Amsoil SS 0W-20 in my Nissan's; although I may switch to SS 5-30 in the summer. so far my Sentra has only seen 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
While under warranty, stick with Nissan filters. .

This is just wrong...next advice will be to use Nissan oil during warranty...

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
2016 - although I just picked it up and have not changed the oil yet. I'm basing my knowledge on my experience with my Sentra; which I did pick up a bag of the proper crush washers for the Sentra on ebay, but admittedly I have (so far) re-used what came with the car.

I always pick up the proper crush washers (when used) and o-rings for my equipment - but rarely change it until I suspect that the condition is questionable. many sources sell the proper washers - likely any of them would work.

I picked up a case of the Fram professional filters that are equivalent to the Ultra. Based on your post, I did check many online oil filter lookups and many dont have a listing for the 2016 filter yet - even if they do list the proper oil. (Mobil 1, Fram, Amsoil) The Autozone site does list the same 6607 filter for a 2016. I, too, was tempted to simply buy filters from the dealer - but I have always believed that we can get equal or better filters. besides, my next door neighbor works for Fram.

Obviously you are likely aware that the CVT's are not universally loved; but I dont believe that the new ones are as fragile as some internet hype would lead you to believe. The CVT allows me to get great mileage in my Sentra (40 hwy; which is better than my echo) - and I am no hypermiler. From what I can tell, the CVT does not help the mileage on the Rogue compared to its competition - but I dont have a track record on mine yet. I haven't even added it to my sig yet.

It is her vehicle. I have driven it and I don't see why people hate on CVTs. I think they hate on them because other people have told them they suck. As long as the thing works and gets good mileage. From what I have understood, a CVT is in almost every way superior to an automatic(fewer moving parts, easier to manufacture, more efficient).

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: mclasser
While under warranty, stick with Nissan filters. .

This is just wrong...next advice will be to use Nissan oil during warranty...
Like the Nissan ester oil for $14.41 a QT?http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nissan-Fluid-999MP-5W30EP-Engine/dp/B00AKYORGE

CVTs are hated on BITOG because they just are. There are not any rational reasons. Like DEF for diesel emissions, lane departure warnings, backup cameras, the CVTs they are becoming more popular for gas millage reasons.

Personally, I'd rather have a CVT than a 8 or 10 speed automatic transmission.

Last edited:
Backup cameras are overrated though. Parking Sensors are the way to go. I'd rather keep my head on a swivel and listen for obstructions than have to look at a small screen for them. Those should be standard instead of cameras like some of the manufacturers are implementing.

Originally Posted By: Fordai
Backup cameras are overrated though. Parking Sensors are the way to go. I'd rather keep my head on a swivel and listen for obstructions than have to look at a small screen for them. Those should be standard instead of cameras like some of the manufacturers are implementing.

I was no fan of the camera, until I got one. I think they are great. No one is stopping me from "swiveling" my head as necessary..

Originally Posted By: stchman

It is her vehicle. I have driven it and I don't see why people hate on CVTs. I think they hate on them because other people have told them they suck. As long as the thing works and gets good mileage. From what I have understood, a CVT is in almost every way superior to an automatic(fewer moving parts, easier to manufacture, more efficient).

I agree. I owned a Mitsubishi Outlander with a CVT for 7 years before I traded it in on my 2015 Rogue which also has a CVT. It took a short while to get used to not having shift shock, but now the CVT is second nature. Nissan's problem with their 1st generation CVT (in 2008-2013 Rogues) was related to overheating, which has been corrected in their 2nd gen version.

The OEM filter I took off my wife's 2014 Rogue was made in China. It said so right on the can. No thanks. I use the Microgard filter on it, it works just fine with M1 AFE 0W20. Her Rogue also calls for a new crush washer on the drain plug at every oil change. I bought a bag of 10 at the Nissan dealer for about $7.00.

Mrs. Jimmy loves her car and we both love the back up camera. The only problem I have had with the car is there is no aftermarket air filter for it yet, not that I can find anyway. I bought a new one not long ago at the dealer, it cost about $18.00. I hope there is a Wix equivalent available when it comes time to change it out again.

The newer CVTs are documented in having more issues than the 08-12 versions. I like my car and its CVT a lot. It has very good power on demand with the 3.5 motor.

The newer ones were trying to improve and yet there have been issues. True delta shows that the 13,14,15 Nissans CVTs are having much more trouble than the previous generation. On the Nissan Infiniti site its talked about has well. JATCO has had some issues with the 5th generation CVT.

It may not be a super high percentage problem say 15% or more but its obviously high enough that it more than it should be too. Say 5-10%.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The newer CVTs are documented in having more issues than the 08-12 versions. I like my car and its CVT a lot. It has very good power on demand with the 3.5 motor.

The newer ones were trying to improve and yet there have been issues. True delta shows that the 13,14,15 Nissans CVTs are having much more trouble than the previous generation. On the Nissan Infiniti site its talked about has well. JATCO has had some issues with the 5th generation CVT.

It may not be a super high percentage problem say 15% or more but its obviously high enough that it more than it should be too. Say 5-10%.

It was mentioned elsewhere on this site that Nissan spec'ed their own CVT transmissions from their vendor (JATCO) and did a lot of cost cutting with internal parts of the transmission. Hence, the issues cropped up. In other cars with CVT (Subarus for example) the complaints have been very few and far between.

Last edited:
Makes no sense to go out of your way to buy a Nissan OEM filter, unless it's a good deal. The one I took off the wife's 2015 Murano was made in Mexico.

The microgard at OReilly's is under $5. It's built like a tank. Alternatively, if there is a Carquest nearby, keep an eye out on their master pack specials where you can find them for under $2 each for the Champ-made house brand filter.

And of course thrre's always Walmart....

The rogue needs nothing special for their recommended 5k OCI.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back