2021 Nissan Rogue Oil/Filter Change

I think you will be fine with ramps. We have a 2005 Jeep GC that has the drain plug facing the passenger side rear portion of the drain pan. I have put the passenger side up on ramps and it drains fine. I have put both front tires up on ramps and all the oil drains fine. The engine takes 5 quarts and every time I add 5 quarts and the level is correct.

just my $0.02
Thanks for sharing. That makes me feel confident that the 2021 Nissan Rogue will also drain completely when lifted on both front tires.

That splash shield will be a pain. Too bad Nissan didn’t think of a access panel while they were planning that monstrosity.
I agree it is a monstrosity. Our other vehicles which are Mazda3, CX-5 and CX-9 do have a full shield, but they also have an additional smaller shield that is removed to access oil pan and filter and only has a handful of plastic fasteners/screws. Not sure why Nissan did not do the same thing with 2021 Nissan Rogue. I wonder if they just try to make things difficult so that owners end up having to go to the dealer for oil changes.

They probably won't take it off, but rather remove just enough fasteners to bend the crap out of the shield to do the change and make a big mess - seen that going ons before. :(
I will never take any of our cars to quick lube places. Besides the dealers, I also use a local small privately owned shop to do most of my oil changes. They are very honest, reasonably priced, and do accept my own filter and oil. I usually keep an eye on them while working on my cars and they always seem to do the job right. As you know, not all shops allow you to bring your own parts.

Wow. If someone takes this into a “quick lube”, easy $20-30 up charge to take off the splash shield. Why, Nissan, why…
That is a good question, why? Makes no sense whatsoever. It is nice to have a protective shield underneath vehicles, but please, also have a separate shield to have access to the oil pan and filter.

Just watched two yt vids on topic engine oil and filter change. First thought, what a stupid, diy unfriendly design! ~20 plastic push pin clips and two 10mm bolts to remove the belly pan/shroud before doing anything else. :(

Watching the one vid, even though the plug is on the side it is mostly toward the rearward part of the pan. Without seeing it up close, difficult to determine if using ramps would result in 'significantly' less oil drained than a level orientation.

I guess I'd say what's the alternative for diy. No way "I" would use four ramps or four jack stands to do what should be a simple oil and filter change. What I see and with no more information, I'd likely use front ramps, and make the best of it. My .02
Definitely a lot of work needs to be done before having access to plug and filter. I would never use more than 2 ramps either. As someone else said in this thread, their Jeep GC also has the same orientation towards one side of the vehicle and the oil drains just fine lifting both front wheels.

When I had my 2019 miata, it was similar but on the passenger side. If you jack up the opposite side slightly higher after pulling the plug, a little more will come out. Nothing major though.

Back