2016 Mazda 2016 trans fluid change

The wife's CX5 has about 110k miles on it. I figure it is about time to change the trans fluid. I checked it and it was a gray color but smelled OK. Mazda says it does not need changing but it seems like it should be. I will probably do a dump and refill and get about half of it out and maybe do that twice and maybe every two or 3 yrs after that. It runs fine and we have even pulled a packed 5x8 cargot trailer to and from Florida with no ill effects. I am just trying to prevent problems. It used special FZ fluid and I think the only accpetable fluid is ASIN who makes the transmission and most likely the same stuff rebranded for Mazda. Any opinions on this?

Worked good up to this point. Just buy the OEM fluid at the Mazda dealer...No guessing.

Worked good up to this point. Just buy the OEM fluid at the Mazda dealer...No guessing.
Ok a Mazda dealer. The guy that actually walks to the counter gets reemed. Sorta like the guy that pays cash at the doctor's office.

I used the Aisin FZ in our CX-30 and it's running fine. It's also blue like the OE stuff which doesn't matter for yours since you're out of warranty.

I am wondering why anyone would need to change the fluid before the warranty runs out.

I am wondering why anyone would need to change the fluid before the warranty runs out.
I buy new vehicles with the intention of running them 300K miles. I've never did what I intended to do because the new car bug bites me eventually. Whoever buys my used vehicles is the one who benefits from my oil, ATF. coolant changes etc....By changing ATF every 30 or 40K I'm thinking long term reliability and trying to avoid expensive transmission repairs/replacement.

I expect most will last 200k miles on the factory fill but most likely it is done after that. My two Mazdas are just getting old enough for the full treatment. Antifreeze is next.

I just did 2 drain / refills on 2018 CX5 @ 80K miles.

I bought the FZ on Amazon and it’s very simple to do, no need to replace the filter.
I suggest you remove the air box for easy access to fill plug / dip stick.
It took 3.5 quarts to refill.

7 quarts of fresh ATF will get about 90% of the old fluid out.

Back