Change trans fluid with 219,000 miles on vehicle?

Pull the dipstick and check the condition. There would be an external filter. I’d be more concerned about the timing belt if there’s no service history. If it was changed when she bought it. It may be time for another change. The six speed is extremely easy to do. Measure what comes out cold. Add that amount back in. Start her up till the fan kicks on. Shut it off and check the level. I use Amsoil SS blue cap ATF in my wife’s 19.

if I could, I would pull maybe one or two quarts out of the dipstick with a siphon. as many of you know I have had great success with the hot shot shift restore and I would use that product at the specified treatment which can go anywhere from 1.5% up to 2.4% and then top off with a factory OEM fluid. if there was any easy to get to external filters like a warmer like on the CVT transmission housing I would replace that. so roughly you would have two quarts replaced and then I would drive it and then probably do a drain and fill within about 5,000 miles. I don't know if I would feel comfortable removing the pan and I don't know if there's a bolt or a nut that can be loosened so that it drains out like a standard oil change.

Service that bad boy. Drive a few hunnerd miles and service it again. Then at the next oil change.
I agree. Drain and fill. Drive a couple hundred miles and D&F again both times with DW-1.
Not going to hurt it.
Check in with Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forum Or Pilot Forum, both use the same transmission

Last edited:
Reactions: wlk
It totally depends on the relationship with you and the friend. In general, I’m in agreement with all of the posts above - “if it were mine, I’d do a few gentle drain-fills, spaced apart…. someone else’s I’ll generally leave it alone…”. …unless they are wanting to do it themselves and ask me to help them.

That said, there are a couple of folks who trust me pretty implicitly to take care of their cars, and I help them with things besides cars too. It’s a very small number, and only the folks whom I trust deeply who wouldn’t try to take advantage of me if something went wrong. In their case, not only will I do the work, I’ll buy the supplies…. BUT, it’s a small group. Trust and relationship is Important.

Back