2016 Honda Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Looks like a nice bland SUV for someone who doesn't really care about cars and just wants an SUV that's Japanese.

+1
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Looks like a nice bland SUV for someone who doesn't really care about cars and just wants an SUV that's Japanese.

+1
smile.gif

I've never spoken to nor come to any conclusion that any individual has ever purposely chosen to buy an SUV because the person "doesn't really care about cars and just wants an SUV that's Japanese."

But....maybe it happens.

Last edited:
The thing is what has propelled CUVS in part has been the ability to ride higher than surrounding vehicles and the perceived utility.

So Mrs. Soccer mom goes down to the Honda Dealer and gets in the CUV/Uni - body SUV and notices the visibility and that she can fit a stroller behind the third seat. That is all she cares about.

So I would still agree with hattaresguy on his point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: glock19
Way better than the previous generation. They finally did away with the dual screen/control knob interface, and got rid of the stupid dash mounted gear selector. Exterior is a little bland, but again, much better than the previous gen.

Originally Posted By: glock19
In the Pilot, the shifter is large and sticks out from the dash much too far. It's an eyesore and it gets in the way when trying to use the climate controls.

I agree with you after seeing the picture. There is no way I will buy this SUV with this stupid dash mounted gear selector if I ever in market for an SUV.

I like the new design far better than the old one. The old design was unnecessarily like a Lego brick, and the chassis couldn't cash the check the body was trying to sell (rugged/muscular). The Pilot is not an off-road vehicle, has never been intended to be an off-road vehicle, and is not sold as an off-road vehicle. So don't make it look like an off-road vehicle.

The new one is clearly based on the new MDX platform, or at least certainly appears to be. The wheelbase is much longer, and the thing weighs much less than the old Pilot. This is a tremendous advantage that few reviews acknowledge: while many new cars keep adding the pounds, Honda's been LIGHTENING their new generation vehicles (Accord, MDX, now Pilot as well).

The preview video also hinted at an AWD system that is proactive instead of reactive. Does that mean that they're putting the MDX's excellent SH-AWD system into the Pilot as well? If so, then sign me up. I'm always on the look-out for vehicles we'd consider if one of ours was wrecked or otherwise taken off the road unexpectedly. The previous generation Pilot was never a consideration. The dash photo posted previous is one big reason: it's an ergonomic mess. A Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer is much more appealing. But the new Pilot returns this vehicle to our list of possibles.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Honda really needs to do something about it's styling. That thing looks like an oversize cr-v to me.

I agree. It looks a lot like our 2013 CR-V.

i've been lol'ing ever since my first post (days later now). in short, its a far cry from the masculine current pilot, might as well have gave it 2000 cc's of estrogen and stuck on lady parts and call it a day. great job honda.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i've been lol'ing ever since my first post (days later now). in short, its a far cry from the masculine current pilot, might as well have gave it 2000 cc's of estrogen and stuck on lady parts and call it a day. great job honda.

You are actually in the minority as Honda came to realize that it's current Pilot didn't attract buyers as expected. The styling was not widely seen as muscular as much as it was just plain ugly.

The new one is a departure from that for good reason. Is it better looking? Subjective question for sure. Better one would be...will it's looks and features attract buyer better than the previous one.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

I don't get it. I see a minivan. Of sorts.

?

Originally Posted By: supton
I don't get it. I see a minivan. Of sorts.

?

Some SUVs are jacked up station wagons. Some other SUVs are jacked up minivans.
smile.gif

I honestly prefer the looks of the 2003-2008 Pilot compared to any of the newer designs.

The new one will probably sell pretty well though....especially if it's power train and other internals function well.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I honestly prefer the looks of the 2003-2008 Pilot compared to any of the newer designs.

Me, too. The very first generation of Pilot had much more "honest" styling to me. "Honest" meaning it wasn't faking masculinity and it wasn't faking off-roadability. I liked the first generation a lot, similar to how I FAR prefer the previous generation 4Runner to the current one. The current one looks far too gaudy to me, even if its body-on-frame construction can sort of match its looks. The styling on the current (2015) Pilot is a real turn-off to me, and the interior is a mess. I like Hondas, and I'd never buy a current generation Pilot.

The 2016 Pilot is no different than the GM Lambda SUVs or the Ford Explorer -- these are all large SUVs catering to the crowd who want 7 or 8 seats in a somewhat efficient vehicle that doesn't look like a minivan. This market is pretty big, and there's room enough for a number of great vehicles. GM's Lambda SUVs are great vehicles. Toyota's Highlander is a great vehicle. Ford's Explorer is a great vehicle. And the new Pilot will be a great vehicle as well.

The real treat to the Pilot...if they really do put their SH-AWD system under it (I'm not sure if they will or not)...is it will drive like no other large SUV or minivan. I was completely blown away by my folks' new MDX (on which the Pilot appears to be based). It's a FWD-based platform, but the SH-AWD transforms the vehicle into something that will really hustle around a corner. It grips and powers through a corner with chassis neutrality like no FWD-based vehicle should be able to do. It's not tail-happy like my brother's C5. It's not push-happy like my Northstar Cadillacs were. It just STICKS and GOES. I was astounded.

Hopefully they fix the ponderous clumsy handing of the previous generation. The Ody and MDX(platform cousins) are somewhat engaging to drive for a minivan and SUV. The prior Pilot simply a mess.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Me, too. The very first generation of Pilot had much more "honest" styling to me. "Honest" meaning it wasn't faking masculinity and it wasn't faking off-roadability. I liked the first generation a lot, similar to how I FAR prefer the previous generation 4Runner to the current one. The current one looks far too gaudy to me, even if its body-on-frame construction can sort of match its looks. The styling on the current (2015) Pilot is a real turn-off to me, and the interior is a mess. I like Hondas, and I'd never buy a current generation Pilot.

The 2016 Pilot is no different than the GM Lambda SUVs or the Ford Explorer -- these are all large SUVs catering to the crowd who want 7 or 8 seats in a somewhat efficient vehicle that doesn't look like a minivan. This market is pretty big, and there's room enough for a number of great vehicles. GM's Lambda SUVs are great vehicles. Toyota's Highlander is a great vehicle. Ford's Explorer is a great vehicle. And the new Pilot will be a great vehicle as well.

The real treat to the Pilot...if they really do put their SH-AWD system under it (I'm not sure if they will or not)...is it will drive like no other large SUV or minivan. I was completely blown away by my folks' new MDX (on which the Pilot appears to be based). It's a FWD-based platform, but the SH-AWD transforms the vehicle into something that will really hustle around a corner. It grips and powers through a corner with chassis neutrality like no FWD-based vehicle should be able to do. It's not tail-happy like my brother's C5. It's not push-happy like my Northstar Cadillacs were. It just STICKS and GOES. I was astounded.

Good post Hokie...and I especially agree about your take on the first generation.

It was a very 'honest' design. No perceived pretense. When I see them on the road, my first thought is...why did they deviate so far away from that attractive design??

Yes...I'm sure the new Pilot is a much better vehicle. Time will tell though. I think it looks ok...but certainly not an SUV to admire for it's lines.

I like the styling of the first generation Acura MDX (ours) better than the newer ones, too. These earlier MDXes and Pilots just have a tidy and trim look about them...not over-bodied like some SUVs look today. They don't have 19" or 20" wheels fitted into the wheel wells (costing a thousand dollars at tire replacement time).

The 2004-2006 MDX and 2005+ Pilot have the updated transmission which is pretty durable, none of them from this generation have the variable cylinder management system on the engine, and the AWD system is the versatile VTM+4 (which proactively applies torque to the rear, before slip is detected). They have pretty reliable powertrains and classic styling that doesn't seem to go out of date.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I believe the 9 speed transmission is made by ZF.

It is. It's the same ZF 9HP transmission used in the Acura TLX, Chrysler 200, Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster City, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport, and probably a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back