2016 Ford Fiesta ST, oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST with the 1.6L Ecoboost engine. Going to do the first change at around 1000 miles. It uses 5w-20 and I want to put in a synthetic oil. My driving style is moderately aggressive.

Any suggestions? Is Ford Motorcraft oil a good choice or something else? This is my first new car so I'd really like to start it right from the beginning.

Last edited:
Is there a specific Ford spec that an oil needs to meet, according to your owner's manual? Since you are under warranty, I'd stick to that.

There is nothing wrong with Motorcraft oil, as far as I know.

Congrats on a new ride. Post some pics!

Cheapest oil that meets requirements set forth in owner's manual. If you search the UOAs on this site, someone used Magnatec in their ecoboost F150 and got excellent results.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Is there a specific Ford spec that an oil needs to meet, according to your owner's manual? Since you are under warranty, I'd stick to that.

This is a good point. Let me look at the owners manual and go from there.

Any suggestions on an oil filter? Is there much difference between an OE Ford filter and say a Wix or similar?

Originally Posted By: Matt_V
Hello all,

I just recently purchased a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST with the 1.6L Ecoboost engine. Going to do the first change at around 1000 miles. It uses 5w-20 and I want to put in a synthetic oil. My driving style is moderately aggressive.

Any suggestions? Is Ford Motorcraft oil a good choice or something else? This is my first new car so I'd really like to start it right from the beginning.

I almost bought one but they were charging as much for the Fiesta as they were the Focus and I was like, "this is the reason I never overpaid for a Mustang V6 cause they price gouged everyone on those pi$$ poor Mustang V6 engines of "back in the day" lore. Now give me a V8 in manual circa 2002 ish. MAke it a Shelby Boss.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This is a good point. Let me look at the owners manual and go from there.

Any suggestions on an oil filter? Is there much difference between an OE Ford filter and say a Wix or similar?

Yes. Use the Motorcraft filter. It's more efficient, cheaper, and will ensure no warranty issues.

If it were mine i would let the engine break in before I did anything else. Change whats in there at 1000 with motorcraft 5w20 semi syn and change at 3000. Change again at 6000. I would run either motorcraft, napa silver, or carquest reds for your break in period.

Once you hit 6000 then bump it up to full syn if thats what you desire.

If you follow UOAs you will see that wear metals trend down with time. No sense in leaving high wear metals in for long periods of time with expensive synthetics.

I stuck with the Motorcraft semi-syn for the first 1000 mile change after that Penzoil syn and Motorcraft filter . I know cars come factory fill with syn but I'm stubborn.Also your going to need a Cap style oil filter removal tool, It's tight between the radiator and surrounded by hoses. Do you plan on any mods? I did the intake hose , Drop in filter and Cobb AccessPort and tune by Randy Robles of Mountune. Amazing difference. The rear motor mount is a must even stock.Don't bother with CAI or exhaust nothing to be gained with stock turbo. Enjoy it , Their great little cars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I actually plan on getting an AccessPort and drop in filter. Probably the entire Stage 1 kit.

That's dumb.

From the owners manual page 182
Quote:

Do not use supplemental engine oil
additives because they are unnecessary
and could lead to engine damage that may
not be covered by your vehicle warranty.

Page 241-242 in the owners manual.
It takes 4.3QT of 5w20 with spec WSS-M2C945-A
they of course recommend motorcraft brand.

Why is that dumb?

Because 3/4 his posts are basically trolling ignore works good.

On the other hand.. the "woven cotton filter" is just bad.
Accessport will void warranty as well..

so perhaps that is why rather than just calling you dumb an actual reason would be nice.

Is the Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend a good oil? I've noticed there is also a 5W-20 full synthetic but it is only available in individual quarts and not 5 quart jugs.

Congrats OP, I really like the Fiesta and Focus ST. I would love to have a full bolt on Fiesta with a little bigger turbo (just to surprise the [censored] out of people.)

Originally Posted By: Rand
On the other hand.. the "woven cotton filter" is just bad.
Accessport will void warranty as well..

so perhaps that is why rather than just calling you dumb an actual reason would be nice.

If you use Mountune you won't void the warranty, they have been approved (if you like Mountune). So he has some options if he wants to modify.

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
I almost bought one but they were charging as much for the Fiesta as they were the Focus and I was like, "this is the reason I never overpaid for a Mustang V6 cause they price gouged everyone on those pi$$ poor Mustang V6 engines of "back in the day" lore. Now give me a V8 in manual circa 2002 ish. MAke it a Shelby Boss.

I hope you're joking, because in 99-04 they didn't make a Shelby.

Last edited:
Is the Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend a good oil? I've noticed there is also a 5W-20 full synthetic but it is only available in individual quarts and not 5 quart jugs.

I've been using the Motorcraft 5W-20 blend in my 2014 Mustang GT since new and it now has 18,700 miles on it and it runs fine. No unusual noises and oil stays clean the entire oil change. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. The full synthetic Motorcraft oil is harder to get and more expensive.

Wayne

Thanks for the advice. I actually plan on getting an AccessPort and drop in filter. Probably the entire Stage 1 kit.

Here is a picture of mine:

http://oi64.tinypic.com/rtqc03.jpg

They look great in that 'Magnetic' color offered this year.
thumbsup2.gif

These cars would be even cooler yet if they sold them here in the 2 door hatch versions available in the UK/Europe.

Nice car. I have a 15 ST running stage 1 with the full Mountune intake system and an FSWERKS CBE. Love it.

If your driving conditions are severe, change factory fill at 3,000 miles. If they're not severe, change it at 5,000.

Motorcraft synthetic blend is fine but I'd personally go with a full synthetic since this is an engine you likely will run very hard. My personal choices for your car would be Valvoline SynPower or Castrol Edge. Change every 5,000 miles with a Motorcraft filter. I also recommend FRAM Tough Guard & Ultra Synthetic filters. You could maybe extend oil changes past 5K if you do lots of easy driving but I know EcoBoosts are very often hard on oil as far as fuel dilution & shearing goes.

MC oil is ConoccoPhilips and is good quality. I am partial to Castrol and their Magnatec has had a few stellar UOA's on BITOG in a 3.5 Ecoboost engine which is known for being very hard on oil. And the 5w-30 in the UOA's is a blend, not full synthetic. For your car, the Magnatec 5w-20 is a full synthetic. I've used Edge in the past on Ecoboost and GDI engines and been happy with the results as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back