Oil for '16 Fiesta ST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ford specifies 5w-30 semi- or full-synthetic for the 3.5-liter, direct-injected, turbocharged engine in my 2016 Explorer. Ford specifies 5w-20 for normally aspirated Explorers. Don't know why they'd spec a lighter oil for the DI turbocharged Fiesta ST.

Run the factory ff,run 5w20 M1,PUP for 5K. Do a oil analysis and go from there.I ran 5w30 PUP in my GDi Hyundai and it seemed fine. Adding boost/nitrous applications I would run 5w30 in winter,5w40 summer. Just drive it easy for the first 1000 miles,enjoy your car and go from there.

Opinions are great but nobody here is going to be helping you with their pocketbook on the off chance you have a warranty issue and get pushback for not following the owners manual recommendations.

Not saying others are wrong with their recommendations of other weights but while in warranty, use what is recommended and then play engineer after warranty.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: bvance554
The people who designed, engineered, built the car told me to use this, but I know better and I want to use this. Is that what you're saying?

Also, this car was engineered in Germany, so I am actually curious to see what is recommended for the car there.

Yeah, I dunno about that. In any case, your turbocharged engine has a pretty beefy oil-cooler. The Police Interceptor SHO is the same way requiring only a synblend (which all 5W-20 pretty much is)..

Quote:
It is also heavily speculated by many here that if it were not for CAFE standards in the US, 20 weight oils probably would not have become so widely used. This is evidenced by the exact model being sold in other countries recommending heavier oils. So even if a heavier oil is recommended for the exact same car then, most likely it will do no harm.

Some also "speculate" that the use of 5W-20 oils predates CAFE. They weren't very good initially, but then, I have an old Quaker State lubrication guide stating that some manufacturers recommended not using 5W-30 in sustained highway applications in the 1980's. The use of SAE20 oils were used in commercial and military trucking prior to multi-weight motor oils and Ford and Honda have run on 5W-20's for two decades now without any significant problems while cars requiring heavier oils (like Toyota 1.8L's) have sometimes developed oil consumption problems in some cases...

Quote:
Also, sarcasm really isn't conducive to answering my inquiry. If you have nothing of value to contribute, maybe you should find another thread where your reply actually adds to the discussion?

I understand no one likes sarcasm in their threads, but at the same time, if you're just starting one to read a sounding-board to validate what you wanted to do anyways rather than looking at other opinions then why even start a thread?

Personally I'd run Mobil 1 0W-20 EP with a high PAO content and call it a day to insure there are no warranty issues. But if 5W-30 makes you feel better than by all means have at it...

Originally Posted By: Miller88

And the Hondas and Toyotas that use 20 grade oil absolutely do not hold up.

Really? Any source for this? Most of the Toyotas that have issues called for 5W-30 and allowed for 10W-30...

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: Miller88

And the Hondas and Toyotas that use 20 grade oil absolutely do not hold up.

Really? Any source for this? Most of the Toyotas that have issues called for 5W-30 and allowed for 10W-30...

He was being sarcastic

No. Miller was talking about MY personal cars
smile.gif

Castrol Magnatec 5W-20. Very thick 20 weight, borderline of being a 5W-30. Full synthetic. Change every 5K & you'll have a happy engine. I don't know the specifics on viscosity but I remember researching this oil for a friend's 1.6L EcoBoost in her '13 Escape.

Either that or just use a normal 5W-30 if you don't care about your oil being spot on for the warranty.

Originally Posted By: Exit32
Ford specifies 5w-30 semi- or full-synthetic for the 3.5-liter, direct-injected, turbocharged engine in my 2016 Explorer. Ford specifies 5w-20 for normally aspirated Explorers. Don't know why they'd spec a lighter oil for the DI turbocharged Fiesta ST.

Because the engine is designed differently and has different operating conditions.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: bvance554
The people who designed, engineered, built the car told me to use this, but I know better and I want to use this. Is that what you're saying?

Also, this car was engineered in Germany, so I am actually curious to see what is recommended for the car there.

It is also heavily speculated by many here that if it were not for CAFE standards in the US, 20 weight oils probably would not have become so widely used. This is evidenced by the exact model being sold in other countries recommending heavier oils. So even if a heavier oil is recommended for the exact same car then, most likely it will do no harm.

Also, sarcasm really isn't conducive to answering my inquiry. If you have nothing of value to contribute, maybe you should find another thread where your reply actually adds to the discussion?

It wasn't sarcasm. I was contributing to your thread. You're just too hubristic to get it apparently.

I would like to know this as well as I just purchased a black 2016
smile.gif
Harsh Canadian climate in the winter time is making me think a 0w may be a good idea?

Its interesting how in Europe and Australia these cars call for 5w30....would one run into warranty issues if they used this oil?

Please clarify something for me:

"Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend". Are you referring to the Owner's Manual, or a Ford Employee?

I own a Focus ST, which came with a supplement to the Owner's Manual that specifies 5W-30 for the turbocharged, D.I. 2.0.

I'm a little surprised your owner's manual (or supplement, if the Fiesta ST comes with one) would recommend 5W-20.

The reason I ask: More than a few guys on the Focus ST forum complain about their dealerships not paying any attention to the fact that the ST is different, and filling their STs with 5W-20 and having to go back to have it remedied.

What's your source of info? Not at all trying to be a smart-a. I'm genuinely interested, and a little surprised by this.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Please clarify something for me:

"Ford recommends Motorcraft 5w-20 syn blend". Are you referring to the Owner's Manual, or a Ford Employee?

I own a Focus ST, which came with a supplement to the Owner's Manual that specifies 5W-30 for the turbocharged, D.I. 2.0.

I'm a little surprised your owner's manual (or supplement, if the Fiesta ST comes with one) would recommend 5W-20.

The reason I ask: More than a few guys on the Focus ST forum complain about their dealerships not paying any attention to the fact that the ST is different, and filling their STs with 5W-20 and having to go back to have it remedied.

What's your source of info? Not at all trying to be a smart-a. I'm genuinely interested, and a little surprised by this.

It's in the supplement . Page 24

Go 5w30 for sure, turbo DI = tons of fuel dilution. It'll be a 20 weight oil by the end of the interval. If you drive hard or race it, 5w40 would be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back