2016 Ford Fiesta ST, oil suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Matt_V
What would you guys think of using 0W-20 in place of 5W-20?
because?

You could, but I would stick to 5W-20 for warranty purposes. In the real world, 0W-20 is a 100% acceptable replacement for 5W-20 but that's not the way Ford sees it. Ford said to use 5W-20 so 5W-20 is it.

I don't see why you would need a 0W-20 in your region anyway. I am sure a quality 5W-20 Synthetic Blend or full synthetic oil will do great in your climate.

Matt, you're overthinking or over expecting. I have a FiST that sees track time and see no relevance in oil preference from UOAs. If it's street only and no tune use any Ford approved 5w20. If you expect track time on occasion use a heavy 5w20 (Castrol) and if turbo or ecu tuned use a 30wt. 0w20 outside the Arctic OR if you have another 0w20 application have at it.

Edge EP 5w20 or Mobil 1 EP 0w20. Can't go wrong with any decent 20 grade.

Opted to change my oil at 150 miles today. I used a Motorcraft FL-910S filter and Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-20 full synthetic.

150 miles? Wowzers. I too, like to change factory fill early but usually go at least 1500 miles. To me, it would almost seem like any break in "junk" you want out would still be going on with the new Castrol you put in there.

I agree it's a little early but I wanted to switch it to synthetic asap. I will change again around 3k miles or in a few months.

Wowzers X2

Anybody think it could it be doing more harm than good by dumping the factory fill at 150 miles? FF oil is usually loaded with additives and now they're all gone, so soon

Hey nice car man..I have a 2015 ST..I too dumped the factory fill pretty early...around 1k miles I believe. I've ran pennzoil platinum 520 for two changes..Toyota 0w20 for a few changes, and now I have BMW 5w30 in it...I have about 60qts of Toyota 0w20 so I will be running that until I'm out. I drive a lot..I've had the car 7 months and I have 25k miles on it. It doesn't consume enough oil for the level to drop on the dipstick so I don't think my initial early change had any effect on proper ring seating.enjoy your new car..it can hang with cars that cost 3x as much on a tight twisty road

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Wowzers X2

Anybody think it could it be doing more harm than good by dumping the factory fill at 150 miles? FF oil is usually loaded with additives and now they're all gone, so soon

Wowzers X3... Ford claims factory fill is just straight Motorcraft synthetic blend with no extra break in additives. I'd have definitely left that factory oil in for at least 3K but whatever, not my car...

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75

Matt, you're overthinking or over expecting. I have a FiST that sees track time and see no relevance in oil preference from UOAs. If it's street only and no tune use any Ford approved 5w20. If you expect track time on occasion use a heavy 5w20 (Castrol) and if turbo or ecu tuned use a 30wt. 0w20 outside the Arctic OR if you have another 0w20 application have at it.

+1

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
Wowzers X2

No harm will be done.

Awesome. Thanks guys! I think next change at around 4-5k miles I'll switch to PP.

5k on synthetic, isn't that wasting oil?

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Awesome. Thanks guys! I think next change at around 4-5k miles I'll switch to PP.

5k on synthetic, isn't that wasting oil?

GDi Turbo

motorcraft oil and filter. Both good quality and there wont be any issues with the warranty etc. They also have a full syn version but the semi is easier to find at Walmart and other auto stores. It is also usually in the flyers for Autozone and Advance auto but Walmart is your best bet for price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back