2016 Ford F 150 2.7 Ecoboost Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danmark
Traded in my Toyota Tacoma (2010) for an F 150. Needed more towing power and better fuel mileage. Love the truck! I'm puzzled by Ford's oil recommendation which is for [of course] their own oil, Motorcraft, but a synthetic BLEND 5W-30, rather than full synthetic. Since I'm an 'old timer' who comes from the old school, 'change oil and filter every 3000 miles' kind of thinking, it has been with difficulty that I have accepted the fact that technology has changed, that there is good reason to listen to new information. It was difficult to accept that my 2006 Porsche could go 15,000 miles between oil changes with full synthetic. I 'get' that Ford's recommendation of 10,000 miles or less [if the computer tells you to] for oil changes in the F 150. But I do not understand the recommendation for a synthetic blend rather than full synthetic. I went ahead and bought 10 qts of the Motorcraft blend, 5W-30 as recommended, partly due to price, but have questions for the future in order of importance:

1. Is there ANY circumstance in which a blended synthetic is preferred to a full synthetic, price considerations aside?
2. Is there any benefit to a full synthetic over a blended synthetic other than a longer change interval?
3. Another 'old school' consideration: First Oil Change. The manual makes no mention of an early oil change after the break in period. I'm inclined to change the initial oil at about 2000 miles, then go with the recommended interval.
4. I'm also thinking more frequent changes with a blend rather than longer intervals with full synthetic. I'm planning my annual snowbird trek to San Felipe, Baja, Mexico, pulling a small trailer. I'll probably do the first oil change just before I leave. Using full synthetic makes more sense if I want to avoid fussing with an oil change while on the road and when towing.
5. The new, expensive Castrol Edge would probably be my choice if I wanted to extend the interval.

Hey there, Danmark - Since you are considering a full synthetic for you next oil change, we wanted to offer you an opportunity to try Pennzoil Synthetics. We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program this year, and we'd love for you to participate. Through this study, you'll receive a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics to be tested in your vehicle along with complimentary and unbiased lab results from Blackstone. If you're interested in participating, please send us a private message for more details. Looking forward to your response! - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: WhoKnows
Danmark, you'd better set up a turbotimer to avoid any problems with your turbo. It's pretty hot thing, especially some points so keep in mind that it'd be better to run your engine 1 extra minute after you stopped.
All these blends are mixed with high percents of group 2 base stocks, not the best choice for v6 turbo. I think it would be better to use something on GTL from SOPUS( PUP, QSUD) or ester based(Red line) in such an engine where thermal&oxidation oil stability is much more important than in non-charged engine.
So you can make shorter OCIs till your blend 5-30 ends

Thanks! I didn't know much about GTL oil, so I did some reading. As I understand it, Shell (and therefore Pennzoil) has a proprietary process for turning natural gas into oil, a synthetic purer than possible when starting with crude petroleum. This is why BMW stopped its long association with Castrol and now specifies Royal Dutch (Shell). As far as I can tell, Pennzoil is the only brand that offers 5W30 GTL commercially in the U.S. Since it exceeds API SN, GF-5, and Ford's WSSM2C946-A specs, I can see my way clear to spending the extra $7 per 5 qts.

Traded in my Toyota Tacoma (2010) for an F 150. Needed more towing power and better fuel mileage. Love the truck! I'm puzzled by Ford's oil recommendation which is for [of course] their own oil, Motorcraft, but a synthetic BLEND 5W-30, rather than full synthetic. Since I'm an 'old timer' who comes from the old school, 'change oil and filter every 3000 miles' kind of thinking, it has been with difficulty that I have accepted the fact that technology has changed, that there is good reason to listen to new information. It was difficult to accept that my 2006 Porsche could go 15,000 miles between oil changes with full synthetic. I 'get' that Ford's recommendation of 10,000 miles or less [if the computer tells you to] for oil changes in the F 150. But I do not understand the recommendation for a synthetic blend rather than full synthetic. I went ahead and bought 10 qts of the Motorcraft blend, 5W-30 as recommended, partly due to price, but have questions for the future in order of importance:

1. Is there ANY circumstance in which a blended synthetic is preferred to a full synthetic, price considerations aside?
2. Is there any benefit to a full synthetic over a blended synthetic other than a longer change interval?

Probably no on both. Personally, I'd run a full synthetic.

Probably one of the reasons Ford marked Motorcraft as a syn-blend is that most SN rated "conventional" oils probably contain at least some Group III, especially in 5W-20. They're far from the only company that has dropped the "conventional oil" moniker simply because they 5W-20 HAD to be a syn-blend...

Quote:

Hey there, Danmark - Since you are considering a full synthetic for you next oil change, we wanted to offer you an opportunity to try Pennzoil Synthetics. We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program this year, and we'd love for you to participate. Through this study, you'll receive a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics to be tested in your vehicle along with complimentary and unbiased lab results from Blackstone. If you're interested in participating, please send us a private message for more details. Looking forward to your response! - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Thanks! PM sent

Do not read too much into Motorcraft being a blend. Their specification is met by plenty of conventional oils. You certainly are welcome to use a synthetic, and that may be a lot simpler than playing around and trying to find a synthetic blend (particularly one that isn't a high mileage).

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
. . . Hey there, Danmark - Since you are considering a full synthetic for you next oil change, we wanted to offer you an opportunity to try Pennzoil Synthetics. We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program this year, and we'd love for you to participate. Through this study, you'll receive a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics to be tested in your vehicle along with complimentary and unbiased lab results from Blackstone. If you're interested in participating, please send us a private message for more details. Looking forward to your response! - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Wow! This is really impressive. When's the last time a major oil company stepped up and extended an offer like this to a new vehicle owner? I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing how Pennzoil's GTL synthetics perform in this Ford F-150 2.7 Ecoboost motor.

Gena, you're a stand up "guy"!

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
. . . Hey there, Danmark - Since you are considering a full synthetic for you next oil change, we wanted to offer you an opportunity to try Pennzoil Synthetics. We are currently running our Pennzoil Used Oil Analysis Program this year, and we'd love for you to participate. Through this study, you'll receive a sample of Pennzoil Synthetics to be tested in your vehicle along with complimentary and unbiased lab results from Blackstone. If you're interested in participating, please send us a private message for more details. Looking forward to your response! - Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Wow! This is really impressive. When's the last time a major oil company stepped up and extended an offer like this to a new vehicle owner? I, for one, am really looking forward to seeing how Pennzoil's GTL synthetics perform in this Ford F-150 2.7 Ecoboost motor.

Gena, you're a stand up "guy"!
Here is a uoa with the Flagship https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...00_#Post4184063

I'm running PP in my 2.7L ecoboost now. I ran M1 before and had... results. Hard to tell if they were good or bad since I spent a lot of time towing above 85% GCVWR. One thing to watch out for is that the intelligent oil life monitor is just counting down miles. It will turn to 99% at 50 miles after the OCI and then drop 1% every 100 miles after that. I would look in the manual and follow the "expected" oil change suitable for your driving before getting a UOA to confirm engine health.

Enjoy the truck and engine, it is a absolute blast to drive.

3. Another 'old school' consideration: First Oil Change. The manual makes no mention of an early oil change after the break in period. I'm inclined to change the initial oil at about 2000 miles, then go with the recommended interval.
4. I'm also thinking more frequent changes with a blend rather than longer intervals with full synthetic. I'm planning my annual snowbird trek to San Felipe, Baja, Mexico, pulling a small trailer. I'll probably do the first oil change just before I leave. Using full synthetic makes more sense if I want to avoid fussing with an oil change while on the road and when towing.
5. The new, expensive Castrol Edge would probably be my choice if I wanted to extend the interval.
I run a 2.7 eco in my 2016 F150 Supercab. I'm running Quaker State Ultimate Durability for two reasons; low volatility, and quiet, smooth operation. Castrol Magnatec has returned some impressive used oil analysis as posted on this site. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back