2016.5 Mazda CX-5, AMSOIL 0W-20 Signature, 13,382/60,382 Miles with TBN Analysis

Its an ok report, personally I feel the engine would have done just as well if not better with any brand oil. Viscosity increase and Iron although acceptable, is just that, acceptable. Premium cost oil returning marginal results when any oil would do the same or better.

Amsoil uses quite a bit more Mg than other oils that are using the Mg/Ca combination. Amsoil SS is around 989ppm of Mg and M1 is around 689 ppm of Mg. Random observation.

Sorry to open an older thread but this UOA gives me confidence to stretch the OCI interval on our 2.5 'Skyactive' if circumstances make it necessary. Due to GDI I had figured on about a 6500 mile OCI....now I feel OK if it went a bit further...like 7500 miles....using regular synthetics (not boutique brands)...PS: I'll still aim for 6500 miles.

Sorry to open an older thread but this UOA gives me confidence to stretch the OCI interval on our 2.5 'Skyactive' if circumstances make it necessary. Due to GDI I had figured on about a 6500 mile OCI....now I feel OK if it went a bit further...like 7500 miles....using regular synthetics (not boutique brands)...PS: I'll still aim for 6500 miles.
Having a 1000 mile “range” (on changing oil) is ideal for fitting into schedule or weather etc …

Mazda’s Skyactiv has no e at the end.

Your driving style and conditions may vary from the OP and this UOA report. You can’t really compare your engine to his but it does help you better understand the particular engine family as a whole.

Does your car have an adjustable maintenance reminder setting where you can choose between “flexible” or a fixed mileage? I wonder what your oil life shows at 6,500 miles

Its an ok report, personally I feel the engine would have done just as well if not better with any brand oil. Viscosity increase and Iron although acceptable, is just that, acceptable. Premium cost oil returning marginal results when any oil would do the same or better.

Yea but… what if the driving style / conditions are SO HARSH that Amsoil was barely able to keep things lubricated and any other el cheapo China mart oil wouldn’t have come close and wear would have been HIGHER! Did you think about that? 🤨😤

Yea but… what if the driving style / conditions are SO HARSH that Amsoil was barely able to keep things lubricated and any other el cheapo China mart oil wouldn’t have come close and wear would have been HIGHER! Did you think about that? 🤨😤
I think your looking at it in a biased way. You think Amsoil is a superior oil because it was "barely able to keep things lubricated?"
Your wrong in your statement that cheaper oil wouldnt "have come close and wear would have been HIGHER!"

1. An engines lubrication system keeps things lubricated, the manufacturer of the engine is the one who correctly engineers at engine with a proper lubrication system for long life using the correct API rated oil.
2. All oils of the same API meet all the requirements of the oil that the engine maker requires, if they thought there was a superior oil out there that would perform better it would have been part of the recommendation.
3. All oils are equal at any price if they are the same API specification and carry whatever secondary specifications the engine maker requires, everything else is hearsay and most stuff in here is oil company marketing making you believe one oil is superior over the other yet offers no solid concrete proof.

Millions of vehicles on the road, most of America has their oil changed by a service center using any "cheapo" API rated oil, the engine outlives the vehicle, meaning associated components attached to the engine and vehicle systems break down way before an engine.
There is no proof that any oil of the same specifications is superior when it comes to wear no matter the cost.

Many DECADES ago things were a bit different, a time when multi viscosity oils were just coming to market and API ratings still young and not as advanced as they are today. There was even a time when Consumer Reports Magazine would do motor oil tests based on wear testing on the lab. That infamous ball wear test. They dont even bother anymore because results are always the same and can no longer find significant differences between oils so they say to choose the correct API and your good to go.

How long an engine lasts depends on the engineering of the engine, not the oil that oil companies market to you.
AS far as the OP, I only wish he would try Super Tech from Walmart or Sams club private brand or Costco private brand for a UOA, it will be a perfect example as his UOA will be no different.
Oil additives are made by a handful of companies, then sold to motor oil retail marketing.
Refiners also under contract produce oils for a whole host of bands names/store names. Some of these refiners such as Warren even have their oil oil brand on stores shelves as well as producing oil for Walmart and up to a dozen private label brands.
Im not saying Amsoil is a bad oil or has no good qualities, I am saying there is no proof other then words and it is known, proof or not as being a quality oil, I am sure it is, will it matter over someone who goes to Jiffy Lube for oils changes his whole life? I haven't seen proof of that.
Use what makes one happy!

Last edited:
Trying to infer wear from a cheap UOA is like reading the tea leaves to predict the lottery numbers accurately.

Back