2015 Nissan Versa had some exhaust work done.

JTK

My 2015 Nissan Versa sedan was due for state inspection this month and it just so happened my daughter mentioned it was "loud lately". This car is basically used only by her for college and work. It's got about 51K on the ticker. Well she wasn't making it up that it was LOUD. I really couldn't get a good look under it because we've got about 2ft of snow and the temps are in the teens, but the flange between the center pipe and rear muffler was rotted completely away. Wound up being about $550 from a local shop to replace the full cat back system. I could have done it myself for under $300 with parts from the Rock or whatnot, but dreaded even attempting it this time of year. Man those parts are pricey for something that looks like it's for a Briggs and Stratton engine. Just venting like an old rusted exhaust because I haven't owned a vehicle long enough to need exhaust work in like 30yrs! I guess I was due.

It's a weak spot on those models (pun intended). I looked at one for a co-worker several years ago and the flange rotted on the muffler side so I only had to replace the muffler assembly, gasket and hardware. As a comparison my '07 Nissan still has the original exhaust and I only live about 75 miles from you.

Reactions: JTK
That’s only a 5-6 year old car. But it’s Buffalo the rust belt and gets even more snow than here in New Hampshire. You are also talking about one of the least expensive cars on the market. Plus you’re a dad. I have had minor exhaust flange and a bit of pipe repair done on 2006 Corolla for $90 by my local guy keeping the same muffler. My mechanic will not sell you a muffler if the current one is OK. A complete model-specific cat-back on a Versa for $550 installed, in the dead of winter is not out of line. You did not get rooked. You could go 10 years you got all new everything. My guy will do a muffler and pipes for $300 but he is old school and a real welder, fabricates the pipes and uses good quality but generic mufflers and does not replace sound metal but fixes everything needs fixing. A lot of mechanics these days don’t like that sort of work any more but like to sell the whole cat back unit and easier for them and more profitable.

Mechanics have to make a living too you know.

Probably the big issue is it's a car that's almost 7 years old that's probably mostly been taken on short trips judging by the mileage, the problem is that the muffler gets condensation inside and it never gets warm enough to dry out completely and ends up rusting through, my dad had a muffler replaced several times under warranty on one car and that he only used for getting around town and it kept rusting through in a short while.

What caused it to rot with such low miles?
Low miles and living in the salt belt. Short trip vehicles hold a lot of water in the exhaust especially in cold winter climates so you have corrosion coming from inside and road salt causing it from outside. Most OE will go 10+ but aftermarket about 5 years if you are lucky.

Edit: I see the previous poster has the same idea, I didn't read the thread to the end.

That sucks it rotted that quickly. That’s why I’m glad I don’t live in the rust belt. My Mazda truck still has the original exhaust 32 years later and so does the Beetle too actually all of my cars have the original exhaust so I’d be pretty mad if mine went out that fast.

Thanks fellas. Everyone touched on something relevant here.

I bought the car ~20 months ago from it's original owner w/ 41K miles on it. It's pretty darn clean and rust free throughout. I have had to re-attach about every heat shield on the darn thing by adding fender washers or whatnot and what ever steel wonderful Nissan used for the exhaust is junk on these. There's been a baffle or tube rattling at times in the rear muffler since we bought it and that area that let go has looked a bit sketchy for awhile. It's crazy small diameter exhaust tubing on this roller skate. One of the fist things I do with my vehicles is slightly increase the diameter of the muffler drain holes, because the factory drains usually plug solid in no time with rust, etc.. I did that on this car as well.

I don't even know of a shop that would repair an exhaust these days unless it was a really suitable solution. Your typical rust belt shop that I know of in my area will use Napa or the likes or OEM parts and change out what's broke as an assembly.

I've fluid filmed and woolwaxed the underbelly and nooks and crannies of this little car a few times too. The only other thing I've replaced are front brakes, changed the ATF in the old school 4-spd auto in it a few times, etc. The base model sedan like this one could still be had with the 4AT up till 2017.

Spent $120 last weekend on the Escape just a muffler and it was simple job. Can't remember the last time I had exhaust work done so don't know how the price ranks... and it was the weekend and wanted it done.

I have had good luck with no guarantee $50-$75 exhaust work from competent mechanic . Always lasted on my 2007 MDX and 2005 Legacy GT the three years after.

I have had good luck with no guarantee $50-$75 exhaust work from competent mechanic . Always lasted on my 2007 MDX and 2005 Legacy GT the three years after.

That shop is a keeper.

Had there been more intact pipe on mine and the muffler didn't rattle internally, I would have begged and pleaded for a patch job. Maybe they would have. I dunno.

The other part that makes Versii tough on exhaust is they don't have a typical flex joint like you see on most all FWD vehicles these days. If you cue up a "nissan versa sedan exhaust", you'll see the only place movement is allowed is at the spring/bolt joint between the catalytic converter pipe and the resonator pipe section. It's a 3-section exhaust. The CC section, the resonator section and then the muffler. Like I say, you can mail order the resonator and muffler assemblies w/ gaskets for around $200. I think the only thing extra you might need is the bolts and springs for another $25 or so.

These cheap Nissans use inferior metal. You can thank Ghosn for that. I've moved a dozen Versa and Sentras within the last few months the first things to rot away are the exhaust then followed closely by the exhaust heat shields. Road salt definitely accelerates the rust but alot of this stuff is rusting inside out from moisture build up.

These cheap Nissans use inferior metal. You can thank Ghosn for that. I've moved a dozen Versa and Sentras within the last few months the first things to rot away are the exhaust then followed closely by the exhaust heat shields. Road salt definitely accelerates the rust but alot of this stuff is rusting inside out from moisture build up.

Oh for sure on that. The heat shields are the very first thing to have issues with on Versas. Not the whole shield assemblies, but the mounting holes corrode and wallow out. You can either remove them or just add big fender washers over the holes like I did.

The cheapo exhaust has got to be the second issue that will happen.

The only saving grace is they are very basic, relatively uncomplicated vehicles, with cheap aftermarket parts available. I'm still kicking myself for not toughing it out and doing the exhaust myself and saving ~$250.

Back