2015 Nissan Versa had some exhaust work done.

The only saving grace is they are very basic, relatively uncomplicated vehicles, with cheap aftermarket parts available. I'm still kicking myself for not toughing it out and doing the exhaust myself and saving ~$250.
My dad's 2002 Bravada took a dump recently, and we were looking around for one since they're pretty simple cars and get good gas mileage, but the thing that sucks is they stopped putting the 4 speed in them at some point during the 2017 model year so now I wouldn't buy one because I still don't have much faith in Jatco CVTs.

My dad's 2002 Bravada took a dump recently, and we were looking around for one since they're pretty simple cars and get good gas mileage, but the thing that sucks is they stopped putting the 4 speed in them at some point during the 2017 model year so now I wouldn't buy one because I still don't have much faith in Jatco CVTs.

Yeah, you can still find them with the 4AT but they're scarce. I've seen them listed as being CVT and they're not. You can't tell from looking under the hood. On the ~2013-2017, the trans cases, pans and capped dipstick look identical between the CVT and 4AT models. The only way to tell other than deciphering the VIN is by looking at the floor shifter. If it goes PRNDL it's a CVT. If it's PRND21, it's the 4AT. The dude I bought my 2015 from had no clue.

Yeah, you can still find them with the 4AT but they're scarce. I've seen them listed as being CVT and they're not. You can't tell from looking under the hood. On the ~2013-2017, the trans cases, pans and capped dipstick look identical between the CVT and 4AT models. The only way to tell other than deciphering the VIN is by looking at the floor shifter. If it goes PRNDL it's a CVT. If it's PRND21, it's the 4AT. The dude I bought my 2015 from had no clue.
We gave up looking for one because we kept thinking we found one with the 4AT, and planned to drive down to look at it on the next day my dad had off, and every time they'd update the description to say it was a CVT model or 5MT model.

Oh for sure on that. The heat shields are the very first thing to have issues with on Versas. Not the whole shield assemblies, but the mounting holes corrode and wallow out. You can either remove them or just add big fender washers over the holes like I did.

The cheapo exhaust has got to be the second issue that will happen.

The only saving grace is they are very basic, relatively uncomplicated vehicles, with cheap aftermarket parts available. I'm still kicking myself for not toughing it out and doing the exhaust myself and saving ~$250.

well, you'll probably get an opportunity to do it yourself eventually, even though you just replaced it :sneaky:

then, you can get the stainless catback! :D

That shop is a keeper.

Had there been more intact pipe on mine and the muffler didn't rattle internally, I would have begged and pleaded for a patch job. Maybe they would have. I dunno.

The other part that makes Versii tough on exhaust is they don't have a typical flex joint like you see on most all FWD vehicles these days. If you cue up a "nissan versa sedan exhaust", you'll see the only place movement is allowed is at the spring/bolt joint between the catalytic converter pipe and the resonator pipe section. It's a 3-section exhaust. The CC section, the resonator section and then the muffler. Like I say, you can mail order the resonator and muffler assemblies w/ gaskets for around $200. I think the only thing extra you might need is the bolts and springs for another $25 or so.
Mine had same issue at 55k. Local Meineke guy did the weld repair. Charged me around $75. Repair has lasted 25k. Got lucky with a good local shop. Still a great local beater. I’m hanging onto it!

Just updating this old thread. The rust belt blues..

This cat-back replacement system from Napa lasted 23 months and barely 20K miles. Again my daughter mentioned the car was loud. I checked it out to find the inlet pipe to the rear muffler rotted right off. It's still connected to the muffler, but basically just shoved in there. The muffler is very rusty as well. The rest of the system doesn't look horrible, but I'm considering just mail ordering the whole cat-back kit w/ a stainless steel muffler off the rock for $175 and have my local shop install it for me in Feb, when it goes in for it's yearly state inspection.

This cat-back replacement system from Napa lasted 23 months and barely 20K miles.
The original isn't stainless? I sold this one off my 112K parts car last year. Still looked good.

Nissan 2012 Versa #3 cat back exhaust.jpg

The original isn't stainless? I sold this one off my 112K parts car last year. Still looked good.

View attachment 134621
Buffalo is probably the worst case scenario for almost any car exhaust, the road salt situation is likely much worse than in the DC area, and if the car sees a lot of short trips the condensation is likely a lot worse because the colder temperatures.

The original isn't stainless?...

It could have been, but the factory muffler was rusty and had something internal rattling badly. The flange upstream of the muffler had rotted off and been replaced with a sleeve and clamps prior to me buying the vehicle in 2019 with 40K miles on it.

I see napa exhaust parts have "lifetime" warranties on them, but I'm not sure if the shop that put this system on would be able to work that out or not and if it would be worth it in the end. I had even drilled a weep hole in the low spot on the muffler for water to drain.

The cat back Walker system with the "stainless steel" muffler on the Rock is ~$170, but shipping is $85. Good grief.

It could have been, but the factory muffler was rusty and had something internal rattling badly. The flange upstream of the muffler had rotted off and been replaced with a sleeve and clamps prior to me buying the vehicle in 2019 with 40K miles on it.

I see napa exhaust parts have "lifetime" warranties on them, but I'm not sure if the shop that put this system on would be able to work that out or not and if it would be worth it in the end. I had even drilled a weep hole in the low spot on the muffler for water to drain.

The cat back Walker system with the "stainless steel" muffler on the Rock is ~$170, but shipping is $85. Good grief.

Is there a good muffler shop nearby? They can fabricate an exhaust made with 304 :unsure:

Reactions: JTK

View attachment 134621

They use way more salt in Upstate New York than around your parts. Anything driving around older than 10 years gets pretty rare.

Even the exhaust system on my 2021 Toyota looks worse than that, and I'm pretty anal about keeping things washed in Winter.

Nissan….coupled to a budget car using low quality parts unfortunately to get an MSRP of under $13k.

IMO, most of the problem with the exhaust on these is there is no flex pipe. All movement has to be from the spring bolt flange at the front catalytic converter outlet. This causes lots of vibration on the whole exhaust system. Couple that with thin/cheap exhaust components and you have very short lifespan.

It's a cheap car for sure. The bodies on them hold up remarkably well in the rust belt. Exhaust, hose clamps, nuts/bolts and some of the underpinnings, not so much.

I didn't realize NY had state inspections, everytime I'm in upstate NY I see some real rust buckets. Ohio is bad too.

If they pass the OBD scan free and clear then they can just get a lick and stick place to do it. Happens here in PA all the time since I live in a non-emission county (CEL light will fail in those counties).

Back