Nissan Versa replacement battery

JTK

I had an interesting experience purchasing a replacement battery for our 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 base model sedan the other day. All the parts store and online sources say the Versii uses a 51R and I nearly bought this size. This battery isn't even close. The physical size is different and the mounting system is different. These particular Nissans require a lip/flange around the base of the battery for a hold down. You shove the bottom rear of the battery under a lip on the battery tray and the bottom/front uses a metal brace held down by a 13mm bolt.

The 51R would work, but there's no way to secure it down. Based on what I've seen online, this recommended replacement size has been wrong for about 10yrs and many people online say they've found that when shops had replaced their batteries, they just dropped in a 51R and just set it in place unsecured. Sad.

Our Versa still had it's factory battery in it. I had just purchased an inexpensive Topdon automotive battery tester and this was the only battery in my fleet that failed at 11.7v. I figured it was due because of age anyway. The factory battery had no markings other than a nissan p/n, made in mexico and a puny 470cca rating.

After further research, I found that a T4 is the proper fit. I couldn't find a T4 on the shelves at my local Wallys, but they had T5's which are 600cca. That's what I went with. ~$150+tax. for a T5 EverStart Maxx. It's a little bit longer than OEM, so the factory battery cozy won't fit over it. So be it.

I had an interesting experience purchasing a replacement battery for our 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 base model sedan the other day. All the parts store and online sources say the Versii uses a 51R and I nearly bought this size. This battery isn't even close. The physical size is different and the mounting system is different. These particular Nissans require a lip/flange around the base of the battery for a hold down. You shove the bottom rear of the battery under a lip on the battery tray and the bottom/front uses a metal brace held down by a 13mm bolt.

The 51R would work, but there's no way to secure it down. Based on what I've seen online, this recommended replacement size has been wrong for about 10yrs and many people online say they've found that when shops had replaced their batteries, they just dropped in a 51R and just set it in place unsecured. Sad.

Our Versa still had it's factory battery in it. I had just purchased an inexpensive Topdon automotive battery tester and this was the only battery in my fleet that failed at 11.7v. I figured it was due because of age anyway. The factory battery had no markings other than a nissan p/n, made in mexico and a puny 470cca rating.
G
After further research, I found that a T4 is the proper fit. I couldn't find a T4 on the shelves at my local Wallys, but they had T5's which are 600cca. That's what I went with. ~$150+tax. for a T5 EverStart Maxx. It's a little bit longer than OEM, so the factory battery cozy won't fit over it. So be it.
I went through this a few years ago and IIRC, I went with a Group 47. As you already mentioned @JTK, catalogues were all incorrect.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Yikes, another 1.6 Versa out there. I have a AAA in mine that is 4 years old. Probably due. Maybe I’ll take a picture of it. I’m sure you know more than me in regards to it.

So here’s what I got courtesy of AAA fours years ago.

Attachments

• 7C63176B-CF7C-4C70-8A8B-19E2A1A0B706.jpeg
    7C63176B-CF7C-4C70-8A8B-19E2A1A0B706.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 9687BADF-BE20-4014-890F-F0C4D45FF371.jpeg
    9687BADF-BE20-4014-890F-F0C4D45FF371.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 150
@Aredeeem as long as that 47E size doesn't move when you try to wiggle it, AAA did good.

There's nothing in the owner's manual that tells you what battery size to use. I did find a "T4" embossed into the OEM insulation wrap that's supposed to slip over the battery. It will only fit a T4.

Our 2015 cranks over with authority now. I have a feeling that OEM battery has been weak for some time. Not enough to cause any obvious problems .

I will say my little topdon AB101 car battery tester is pretty neat for a homeowner grade tool.

Hi JTK, would you trust this battery over next winter and beyond?

Hot climates seem to do batteries in more so than cooler ones. I'd test your battery to know for sure. I my climate (Buffalo NY), it's not uncommon to get 6-7yrs out of a factory battery. Maybe 4-5 out of a typical replacement.

I had the same problem when I still had my versa, 96R fit best, books and computer showed 51R.

Back