Oversized battery Install in 2015 Escape 2.5L

So I replaced the battery in my dad's 2015 Escape today.
We'd looked around, all the stock size 96R batteries were $100+ everywhere, Wallyworld doesn't do a Value battery in the size only the Plus and no Maxx or AGM, so after looking online, I found a guide on a Ford Escape specific forum about fitting a Group 94R/H7 battery in the stock battery box, you just have to pop out the two spacers in the box, in the past people would've had to modify the stock hold down bracket to make it fit, but in 2017 Ford added stop start to some models of the Escape, so if you buy the Hold down part#DV6Z-10718-A you can fit a group H6(with the appropriate spacer) or H7 battery in the box and it fits like it was intended to be there from the factory. Decided to go for the Everstart AGM because they now have a 4 year replacement warranty instead of the 5year 3/2 warranty, and my dad intends to keep this vehicle long term, also since the terminals are tucked away and hard to inspect it's nicer to have the AGM battery that shouldn't spew acid vapor on the terminals.
1642212828207.png

Yeah just curious...
By the looks of that battery case I'd lean towards it being a East Penn AGM battery.

In my area East Penn made the AGM batteries at Walmart.,. And at $149 that is $60-$80 cheaper vs parts stores.

Being in Indiana Johnson Controls is probably the prefered vendor because of proximity. My Value Power battery in my car is made by Johnson Controls.

I think they're Johnson controlls, I believe the particular light grey color, the design of the case are specific to Johnson Control made AGM batteries.

Why a need for a larger battery than OEM stock? If you are having charging issues like mega blaster car stereos then you need a larger alternator. A stock grocery-getter will be fine on the stock OEM battery.

Why a need for a larger battery than OEM stock? If you are having charging issues like mega blaster car stereos then you need a larger alternator. A stock grocery-getter will be fine on the stock OEM battery.
Because we wanted a battery with at least a 3 year warranty, and since it costs the same whether you buy the small battery or the big battery might as well buy the big one.

Because we wanted a battery with at least a 3 year warranty, and since it costs the same whether you buy the small battery or the big battery might as well buy the big one.
Larger batteries are normally heavier. Leads towards less MPG. Look for an industrial battery store. They offer batteries for fork lifts and other non car stuff. Golf carts and so on.

First, the slight difference in weight has a practically, immeasurably low difference in fuel economy. 2015 Escape curb weight is about 3600lbs, while a ~4lb difference in battery weight, is only 0.1% more, offset by more aggravation and driving to replace batteries more often.

A larger battery with higher capacity (or more room for plates in a lower than high end model) will last longer. It doesn't discharge as low in typical use (and unused/parked) events, and retains the minimum needed (starting) current capacity longer due to starting its life with a higher current capacity. Suppose the vehicle needs 150A to start at a particular temperature. Smaller battery may drop below this minimum, a year+ sooner.

Yes, it would be "fine" with the stock battery size. It will be even better, with a larger, higher capacity battery, all else equal. I would even pay a bit more for a larger size group, within reason, and like to use group 65 where they will fit because it's such a common size and price:capacity ratio tends to be lower than some other now-common OEM factory sizes.

The higher the voltage a battery can maintain during starting, the less stress on the starter, and any substandard connections to it.

So bigger battery wins.
A 51r, such as in my Sister 2005 crv, is a tiny, very expensive battery, and not always so readily available.

I was not there to stuff a larger battery inside, when she last needed a battery for it, but I see a Honda branded battery in there now, and she apparently paid about double what a much larger group 24, non valuepower battery at wally world, would cost. It was also loose in its tray with whatever honda tech did the work.

In Florida she gets about 2.5 years from a battery. The last one was an Interstate 51r.

A small battery has much less thermal mass than a larger battery, and will heat up faster when exposed to underhood engine heat.

Every 10c degrees increase of battery temperature, doubles the rate at which the electrolyte chews up the plates, so a larger battery will not heat up as fast, and should degrade at a slower rate because of that alone.

Of course a larger battery can degrade much more before being unable to do its task of starting the engine.
It also will maintain higher voltage each start, reducing cumulative stress on the starter.
It can be left unattended for longer before parasitic draw and self discharge takes into into the danger zone where it sulfates faster and has more time for the sulfates to harden, occluding the plates, reducing the surface area for the chemical reaction to occur.

Basically, the ONLY reason to go for a smaller lighter battery is weight savings, and the tiny increase in MPG and acceleration that might happen.

if the tiny battery costs the same as the larger battery, and can fit easily enough............

Higher amperage rated alternators, in the same size casing do not guarantee more output at idle. Often the higher rated alternator in same size casing does more poorly at hot idle rpm and only at higher rpms do they have an advantage in output potential, when the loads are there to utilize it.

A significant percentage of the stereo boom boom crowd, understand so very little on the topic which they spout and shout so loudly about.

Looks like you had room, probably could have stuffed an H8 battery in there, only about 1.5 inches longer than the H7. They are a bit more money though.

Looks like you had room, probably could have stuffed an H8 battery in there, only about 1.5 inches longer than the H7. They are a bit more money though.
The Everstart Platinum H8 is the same price as the H7 but, the H7 is the largest that'll fit in that box, it sits all the way back in the box and there's no more room in front either it pretty much rests against the lip that the front door of the battery box sits on.

Johnson Controls sold the business in 2019 so the batteries at your Walmart shouldn't show that on the label...the one's I've seen around suburban ChicagoLand have Clarios on them and have for years...I know Clarios is the name of the company that bought the business from Johnson Controls but it is confusing when people still mention JCI as the battery they would buy when JCI no longer is in the business...

9aryIQaRSr2Wb7BNA39kSA.jpg

Back