2015 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
And the drag racers need to note that independent suspension can run with the best of them these days, I'll take mine in red!

It certainly can, although it's more work to set it up well.

Nobody would want for a V8 with a 3.5 Ecoboost, at least as far as acceleration goes. With F150s modified into the 12 second quarter mile range you can imagine what could be done in a lighter mustang. Give it a few more years of development and who knows how absurdly high the horsepower numbers will be on a 3.5L

The V6 puts out more power than the V8's did up until probably a few years ago.

How much more does the 5.0 weigh over the Ecoboost? Probably what 50-80 pounds? That's more weight up front, so with the smaller engine your weight distribution is probably a lot better. I bet the smaller engined cars will actually be faster in the real world.

Jay Leno made the same argument last year, that GM should put a boosted V6 in the Camaro to try to take some mass out of it. It seems like Ford reached the same conclusion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
I wouldn't buy a 6 cyl mustang, If you want to own a mustang go GT or better.

However, the V6 Mustang is a very good value for people who want affordable V6 power. The base Mustang has always been one of the lowest priced V6 cars, and after introduction of the 3.7L DOHC motor, also one of the fastest V6 powered vehicles. You effectively get honest V6 power at Mazda Miata or Subaru BRZ prices. What other 6-cylinder options exist for under 30 grand? Accord Coupe/Sedan: too expensive. Infiniti G Coupe/Sedan: too expensive. Genesis coupe: too expensive. All start at 30K or more with a V6. A base V6 Mustang will be priced in the low 20s and nicely equipped one will cost under 30-grand still.

I agree though that the top spec Mustang should be a V8 powered car instead of turbo V6. Ford understands this and this is why there is no V6 Ecoboost on Mustang.

Last edited:
I look at the 4-cylinder Ecoboost with a great suspicion. Ford Fusion with 2.0 Ecoboost is no faster that V6 powered competitors (contrary to Ford's assertions) and gets a lower real life mpg than the competition. I willing to bet that the V6 Mustang, specially with a manual transmission, will be a better car than Mustang with 2.3L Ecoboost. However, obviously Ford wants to sell more Ecoboost models because of CAFE requirements. I suspect if ecoboost cars sell well, they will kill the V6 option sadly.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
The reason the new Mustang might "look euro" is that for the first time it will be sold by Ford in Europe

Not with the big V8 engines, we will only get the Ecoboost engines

Mustangs were sold in Europe in the '60s to early '70s. They were just called "T5"s

IMG_2709.jpg

I like the idea of an ecoboost 4 Mustang. I don't know if the actual car will live up to my expectations though

I want it to be a modern SVO. I have a feeling it'll be more like a 3.8 Mustang.

I love the power of the EB F150, Taurus and Escape 2.0, not to mention the absolute fun of the Focus ST.

"IF" the '15 'stang is light enough, the 305HP 2.3 EcoBoost should be an absolute blast. It's a light engine, the car has IRS and revised front suspension. That is a wonderful combination.

Plus, as everybody knows, turbo's can be easily modified to produce far more HP. Hope the core engine is tough enough to support serious mods.

I hope my 2008 lives a happy and healthy life.
Not liking it at all, especially the front end and the headlights. IMO, totally disregarded the heritage of the vehicle. It looks like the Japanese translation of a ponycar.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
You'll be able to get a really nicely equipped V-6 model for the price of a bare bones V-8... if I'm going to live with a car for a couple hundred thousand miles I wouldn't mind a toy or two in it.

I, for one, HOPE that they actually offer a V-8 pony TOTALLY de-contented/'club sported'/lightweight version, like the coming Z/28.

I do not want one loaded up and weighted down with all that bells and whistles carp, especially an NA V-6/EcoBoost 4 version, let alone a V-8 (EVEN for 250K miles!!!)!
31.gif

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Not liking it at all, especially the front end and the headlights. IMO, totally disregarded the heritage of the vehicle. It looks like the Japanese translation of a ponycar.

Wow, I'm not seeing the Japanese influence. In fact, I think it looks very American, and very good, at least in the pictures. In fact, it has many heritage carryovers. Failure to change would result in failure to sell. I think Ford played it safe with this one. Instead of the very different concept cars we've been seeing.

The front does bear a very passing resemblence to some older Scion TC's but with more aggressive angles.

But I like it very much.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I think the front and sides are absolutely gorgeous. Not too keen on the rear view, but I wasn't with the last gen either and this resembles that.

+1

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Mykl
You'll be able to get a really nicely equipped V-6 model for the price of a bare bones V-8... if I'm going to live with a car for a couple hundred thousand miles I wouldn't mind a toy or two in it.

I, for one, HOPE that they actually offer a V-8 pony TOTALLY de-contented/'club sported'/lightweight version, like the coming Z/28.

I do not want one loaded up and weighted down with all that bells and whistles carp, especially an NA V-6/EcoBoost 4 version, let alone a V-8 (EVEN for 250K miles!!!)!
31.gif

Me too, more options = good. If I lived on a race track or it was a pure toy that's the option I'd want, but if I have to live with a car day in and day out I'm happy with the extra weight.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Wow, I'm not seeing the Japanese influence. In fact, I think it looks very American, and very good, at least in the pictures. In fact, it has many heritage carryovers. Failure to change would result in failure to sell. I think Ford played it safe with this one. Instead of the very different concept cars we've been seeing.

Yes, I see MUCH MORE Aston martin influence (a VERY GOOD thing!) than any Nippon styling cues.
thumbsup2.gif

I love the new design. I dislike retro designs, to me that just means they have run out of new ideas of where to take the vehicle.

Aston Martin and Porsche for that matter are very good at this, and if I remember correctly a former Aston Martin designer is working at Ford now.

GM never boxed themselves in like this with the Corvette, they have just been constantly tweaking the design over the past 40 years, very much like what Porsche has been doing to the 911. Which is why they are such good designs. Even the newest C7 and 991 look like a Porsche and Corvette at a glance. This new Mustang does that as well, it looks like a Mustang, I think even none car people will know its a Mustang in a parking lot.

Last edited:
The Corvette at one time in it's evolution was going to be a mid-engined car, and it was only the traditionalist owners/enthusiasts (and maybe the bean counters) which kept it a front engine machine.

This is about as far as the 'retro' has gone on the y body, save for round tail lights, and the Stingray moniker on the C7s.

The irony is that the 'grandfather' of the y bodies, Zora Arkus Dontov (despite any others claiming Harley Earle to have this honor), was the main and major proponent of a mid-engined Vette, but he was struck down when presenting that design.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Plus, as everybody knows, turbo's can be easily modified to produce far more HP. Hope the core engine is tough enough to support serious mods.

The tuning capacity of the engine depends on how much head room was left from the factory. One really telling statistic is the specific output of the engine (HP per liter). If the EB Mustang gets 300HP or more from factory, that's at at least 130HP per liter of displacement. That's a lot, so I suspect the tuning potential is more limited compared to say early BMW 3.0L turbo engine or VW's 1.8T engines, which originally came with like 100HP per liter of displacement. It seems to me that Ford has taken a great pain to overboost the 2.3L EB to make sure it has nominally more power than the 3.7L V6 at least on paper.

Here is another odd fact: in Lincoln's product line-up, the MKS with 2.0L Ecoboost engine is marketed as the base engine, while the 3.7L V6 is the "premium" engine. So clearly even Ford views the 3.7L V6 as a better engine than 2.0L Ecoboost. The 2.3L EB probably has roughly as much, or maybe a little bit more power than the V6, and you probably need to put premium fuel into EB to get the rated output.

Last edited:
This 2.3 may be based on the engine in the Mazdaspeed 3, from some rumors floating around. If so, there are guys making 600+ HP out of those things. Plenty of "headroom".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back