2015 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L Pentastar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't have a ton of luck searching for Pentastar or Wrangler on here and finding a lot on that engine. I know a lot of other vehicles in the FCA fleet use it, but can you fine folk suggest an oil to use in this fella?

I plan on using LC20 until I use up the two gallons I have.. I haven't decided if I'll renew my stock.. so if an oil with a good additive pack doesn't break my wallet I'll just do that, FYI.

Last edited:
Pennzoil is the factory fill, and you can't go wrong with that take your pick, PYB, PP, PUP in 5w20. I use PU 5W30 in my 2016, which according to the owners manual is fine too. Oil filters: Mopar MO-349, Fram CH-11665, or Fram XG-11665. Of the three I'd suggest the XG-11665.

Any oil that meets the MS6395 spec will keep the warranty people happy.

I've put all kinds of name brand oils in my two pentas. VWB, Valvoline Full Syn, QSGB, QSUD, PUP, PYB, Havoline, NAPA Synthetic, and Trop-Artic. No problems with any of those listed.

The initial recommendation for the engine (in my 2012 manual) was 5W-30, which I continue to use. Later they changed to 5W-20.
I use a group IV synthetic SN/GF-5, changing once a year or when the light comes on

My wife has a 2012 Dodge GC with the Pentastar. I use CQ or ST FS 5w-30 and a MO-744. Her mileage was way down, so I replaced the plugs. The OEM ones were still in at 125K! We bought it at 90K. Not hard to do, but time consuming. I got a good look at the valves, and they were clean. Highway mileage is up to 24.5 now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crispysea
Her mileage was way down, so I replaced the plugs....... Not hard to do, but time consuming.

Just checking : You're saying replacing the plugs was time consuming?

I do hope so. I love to hear stuff like this about new cars.

Just so long as I don't have to have one.

Last edited:
I run Kendall GT-1 FS 5w30 in both of my vans. For filters the '13 gets an OE MO-744 while the '14 gets the new FU XG11665.

Anything 5W-20 that's MS-6395 until you're out of warranty if you aren't already. Lots of UOAs on Pentastars that look good on both xW-20/xW-30 weights in both syn and conventional flavor. I typically go 5k on conventional but that's because I also rotate my tires and grease all my adjustable control arms (I'm lifted on 35s) every 5k. If I didn't have to do that I'd go for the full length of the oil life monitor which is ~7500-8000 in most conditions.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Her mileage was way down, so I replaced the plugs....... Not hard to do, but time consuming.

You have to remove the intake manifold to get to one bank of spark plugs. Not insurmountable but it is a whole afternoon job for a home mechanic. A few videos on YouTube discuss and go into more detail.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: Ducked

You have to remove the intake manifold to get to one bank of spark plugs. Not insurmountable but it is a whole afternoon job for a home mechanic. A few videos on YouTube discuss and go into more detail.

Thanks. Hard to believe (!*?) but GOOD to know (and avoid)

I've never had any vehicle where replacing the plugs would have taken more than 5 minutes, not counting buying new ones.

Last edited:
Transverse V6 engines are usually known for hard-to-reach plugs. It's not like a 4-cylinder engine. I'll never have to do them again, though. Iridium plugs go for at least 100k miles. It was worth doing myself and saving $300!

Last edited:
I've had 3 Pentastars. As others have said, any oil that meets Chrysler's spec will do fine. I've never had to add a drop on any of mine. I typically use PP. For filters, I prefer Napa Gold or Wix. Both are priced decently.

Great engine, you can't go wrong with Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra like the others have said. Even regular old Pennzoil is a good choice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back