2020 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L engine oil filter recommendations

Just wanted the forums recommendations on oil filters for a 2020 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L. It is a cartridge style filter. I have used Fram Ultra and Amsoil since the first oil change. Just curious what cartridge type filters others are using? The cartridge filters are subject to twisting in the Pentastar engine. Filter vs flow vs structural strength. Looked at the Fram Titanium

FRAM, Amsoil, WIX, OEM, pretty much any filter that fits your vehicle will work well. Maintenance is 1000x more important than brand of filter. Every 5 - 7k miles and your engine will not know the difference.

If the Jeep is still under warranty maybe just run the mopar filter? Technically you don’t have to, but don’t those engines have rocker issues?

I use the Mopar brand in my wife's T&C with the 3.6L. They have come out the best for the price IMO. I have used Mobil 1, Wix and K&N. They are available off Amazon or at your local WalMart.

Just my $0.02

I'm using Fram Ultra. I leave it in for two OCI which is usually around 15-16 months. Change the oil at 5k miles (7500 kms) intervals using Pennzoil Ultra. If I'm using conventional then the OCI is shorter. I've been working from home for the past two years, so it's short tripped.

I've used Wix and Mopar previously. I find that my oil stays cleaner when using the Ultra. YMMV.

We have two vehicles with the Pentastar engine. I stick with the Mopar MO-349. No particular reason. They all seem to run around the same price and for awhile I was getting a pretty good deal on them on Amazon. Last time I bought them was for $17 for a 3-pack.

I mostly run the Fram Ultra. I also bought a bunch of Mobil 1 filters on clearance at Walmart, so I'll be running those probably every other OCI until gone. It won't take too long as I now have 2 Pentastars to care for.

The Mopars are fine but I find they do the Pentastar Twist as badly as any. Maybe its luck of the draw. Anyway, the twist is not an issue at all with these engines. I've had a Mobil 1 in there for an 8k OCI and it was all twisted up pretty good but wasn't compromised in any way. So no biggie.

But at the end of the day the Fram Ultra gives you the best filtration efficiency overall and for the money spent.

I mostly run the Fram Ultra. I also bought a bunch of Mobil 1 filters on clearance at Walmart, so I'll be running those probably every other OCI until gone. It won't take too long as I now have 2 Pentastars to care for.

The Mopars are fine but I find they do the Pentastar Twist as badly as any. Maybe its luck of the draw. Anyway, the twist is not an issue at all with these engines. I've had a Mobil 1 in there for an 8k OCI and it was all twisted up pretty good but wasn't compromised in any way. So no biggie.

But at the end of the day the Fram Ultra gives you the best filtration efficiency overall and for the money spent.
I’ll have one coming up I can post. They’ve been so uneventful they weren’t worth posting IMO. No twists yet.

What years do you see the twist in? There’s 2 versions of the filter I believe.

I’ll have one coming up I can post. They’ve been so uneventful they weren’t worth posting IMO. No twists yet.

What years do you see the twist in? There’s 2 versions of the filter I believe.
I've seen the twist in the Pentastars that use the newer filter. I have no experience with the older version.

I purchased about 8 Mobil 1 filters from Walmart on clearance for $3.00 each and have not had any problems with them. I use them on a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I am very happy with them and they look great even if I change them every other oil change. Currently 75,000 miles on the Jeep.

You're already using very good filters, I would stay with that. On the other hand, my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.6 has seen nothing but Wix filters in its entire 144k miles and still runs perfect. I've used 5w/30 Mobil 1 exclusively switching to Mobil 1 HM 5w/30 somewhere around the 70k mile mark. To me, 5w/30 is preferred over the 5w/20 because in my opinion the engine was originally spec'd for 5w/30 before and they went 5w/20 later on just for MPG's.

I've used Napa Gold, Platinum, and Mobil 1. I bought tons of M1 filters when Walmart was clearancing them out. I've never had a problem with twisting. I like the Platinum the best.

Back