2015 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason the salesperson stated the 2015 civic has DI. Looking at the specs on the Honda Canada website it states good old PGM-FI. Were there any changes in the 2015 engine?

We're looking at purchasing a 2015 civic. So the engine is the same, good. What about their new CVT? Any feedback on the durability of this tranny and how long has it been in service at Honda?

Honda's history with CVT's is not good. I had one in my 2003 Civic Hybrid. There was alot written about the issues at the time but I got one anyway. Fantastic FE but after 200 000 km I had to change the CVT fluid (drain and fill) every other oil change or I could not put the vehicle into gear. The dealer at the time wanted to change out the transmission for a few thousand dollars but the car was not worth that. I have been a Honda guy all of my life and currently have a 2005 Civic. I will not buy another new Honda until they go back to a regular automatic transmission. I may however buy a manual.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Honda's history with CVT's is not good. I had one in my 2003 Civic Hybrid. There was alot written about the issues at the time but I got one anyway. Fantastic FE but after 200 000 km I had to change the CVT fluid (drain and fill) every other oil change or I could not put the vehicle into gear. The dealer at the time wanted to change out the transmission for a few thousand dollars but the car was not worth that. I have been a Honda guy all of my life and currently have a 2005 Civic. I will not buy another new Honda until they go back to a regular automatic transmission. I may however buy a manual.

They will never go back from cvt. It's a one way ticket IMO. To be fair Honda has had more problems with their traditional automatics. I did notice they appear to need more frequent fluid changes. I feel the fluid technology needs to catch up to the demands of the CVT.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Sales" staff" aren't hired for their automotive knowledge.

No, but they're supposed to go through courses and are told of any new features...

32.gif

On the topic of Sales Staff knowledge... I recently visited a local Scion dealership to look at the tC. A Salesman walks over and says, "you know this engine is shared with Subaru..." I said, you must mean the FRS. He said "no, this one too." I didnt argue. He walks away for a few minutes, comes back and chuckled with embarrassment saying, "sorry, I'm new here, it is the FRS". I said, not a problem, we all start somewhere.

I've been searching for chronic Honda cvt issues. Found a discussion on the 2013 accord. Didn't seem like an epidemic of failures though. Just inconsistent shifting and noise. I think we'll take the extended warranty just in case.

I really liked the Mazda 3. Traditional 6 speed auto felt good and their DI engine is really smooth with low end torque. My wife liked the civic though and it was less expensive per month with more features.

I have a /14 Civic. For a small car, the biggest advantage is the FE, especially when my other vehicle is a 5.7L Tundra. I love the little Civic. No problems to report however mine is a 5sp M/T.
Just be forewarned the batteries on these newer Hondas are horrible. Not enough CCA. I keep a small battery charger handy and plug it in once a month.
Good luck on your new purchase.

Originally Posted By: dernp
I have a /14 Civic. For a small car, the biggest advantage is the FE, especially when my other vehicle is a 5.7L Tundra. I love the little Civic. No problems to report however mine is a 5sp M/T.
Just be forewarned the batteries on these newer Hondas are horrible. Not enough CCA. I keep a small battery charger handy and plug it in once a month.
Good luck on your new purchase.

If it were mine I would go with the manual. My wife's commute is stop and go and it has to be auto for her,

My parents have a 2010 Suzuki sx4 with a cvt. No issues or complaints on that tranny. It's got about 50k miles.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I will never buy a car with a CVT...too many choices out there.

Like?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Buy manual, change gear oil every year, 150k mi, profit.

Has to be auto for my wife.

On the internet you can find people having problems with every car, so you have to discern between what are the real issues. Since the Honda CVTs are new it will take years for problems to develop. I'm sure Honda CVTs have improved since 2003 though.

There is also a lot of hype on the internet. For my BMW people make it seem like the sky is falling and it's the worst car ever made, when in reality it's a reliable car with a few minor issues.

Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra don't have CVTs. Although if my wife liked the Civic the most, I'd trust Honda and get it. Reliability is a big selling point for Honda. They won't experiment too much with one of their most successful cars. They already had problems with automatics in early 2000's so I would think they learned from that. Also if you treat your car well you are less likely to have problems.

I was kidding about constantly changing the gear oil. I'd follow the maintenance schedule.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
On the internet you can find people having problems with every car, so you have to discern between what are the real issues. Since the Honda CVTs are new it will take years for problems to develop. I'm sure Honda CVTs have improved since 2003 though.

There is also a lot of hype on the internet. For my BMW people make it seem like the sky is falling and it's the worst car ever made, when in reality it's a reliable car with a few minor issues.

Mazda 3, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra don't have CVTs. Although if my wife liked the Civic the most, I'd trust Honda and get it. Reliability is a big selling point for Honda. They won't experiment too much with one of their most successful cars. They already had problems with automatics in early 2000's so I would think they learned from that. Also if you treat your car well you are less likely to have problems.

I was kidding about constantly changing the gear oil. I'd follow the maintenance schedule.
wink.gif

Agreed, big deals are made out of statistically infrequent events. Same could be said for my Subaru... head gaskets, release bearings, cat failures, etc.

Originally Posted By: webfors
For some reason the salesperson stated the 2015 civic has DI. Looking at the specs on the Honda Canada website it states good old PGM-FI. Were there any changes in the 2015 engine?

Every time I've had a recall fixed they ask if I want to schedule a timing belt replacement on my K series. i typically tell them "yes, and check to make sure the hamsters in my engine are properly nourished while you're in there." They typically don't get it.

We take delivery this week. We negotiated 2k off. Looking forward to having a Honda in the family again
wink.gif

When Honda made a GDI Accord, they called the engine "Earth Dreams" and wrote it on the valve cover. I'm not sure if Honda wrote "Earth Dreams" on their other GDI engines, but if they did, it proves the engine is GDI.

Sometimes Honda puts a big casting number on the engine block. If you see that number, and type into Google, you will probably find the entire list of those engine specifications. It would probably tell you if it uses GDI, or conventional fuel injection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back