2015 CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just approaching the 30K mark and thinking its time for fresh trans fluid. I used to do the 100% flush at stealership, but I see there's not a lot of love for that method here. Why? Is a 3 qt. drain and fill ok at this mileage,if so, then how often to I repeat? Then theres the question of oem vs. Maxlife.....................

If Im thinking straight, 30k in a year or so is a LOT of highway use, which is probably the easiest and best use profile.

Flushes can kick up a lot of junk. Is the filter in this AT easily replaceable?

I personally would just simply drain and fill the small amount to keep the adds topped up. Your AT is young, KISS is good here IMO.

Id run OEM DW-1 or else the Amsoil low viscosity ATF personally.

The 2015 CRV has a CVT, so the drain and fill procedures and fluid/capacity requirements are completely different from prior model years. I'd read up on this carefully before proceeding on a DIY basis. This should be a change interval triggered by the maintenance minder, fwiw.

^^^ good points above.

IMO, if it's a CVT, I'd lean towards oem fluids, I doubt the amsoil will support it, though in time they might. I don't think 30k is too soon. The fluid probably isn't anywhere near spent yet, but it's not needlessly early either.

Pablo, our BITOG Amsoil resident, said that Amsoil CVT fluid is recommended for Honda CVT.

My daughter 2014 Accord LX with CVT is about 40-42k miles now, I will do extraction with Mityvac 7201 at 50k miles and probably will use Amsoil CVT fluid.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Pablo, our BITOG Amsoil resident, said that Amsoil CVT fluid is recommended for Honda CVT.

My daughter 2014 Accord LX with CVT is about 40-42k miles now, I will do extraction with Mityvac 7201 at 50k miles and probably will use Amsoil CVT fluid.

The accord hybrid may not have a true CVT, but they do call it a CVT, and...

AD105B21-188C-4853-8071-12195567DE9E_zpsxr2tut96.jpg

93B915FF-DDF1-4FC5-992C-E904F13A9BE2_zpsgncynkks.jpg

EE02A598-7A0C-4738-A48D-C6370F128FCE_zps27sqm9wf.jpg

And:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/86-9th-generation/335650-accord-hybrid-atf-confusion.html

So check your OM!!!!

Pablo and I discussed this and I think he had to take this up with Amsoil tech department to ensure the stated fluid was accurate.

NOT saying it is the same for the CRV.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Honda is insistent only Honda fluid (HCF2)should be used or the warranty may be compromised - see your manual. Keep in mind the drain/refill on the CVT is more like a manual gearbox: open the drain plug, drain fluid; refill with specified capacity; open weep port and allow excess fluid to drain or add until fluid weeps out. And of course the car has to be perfectly level.

No guarantee the extractor will get to the bottom of the sump and the only way to check fluid level is via the weep port. Not a lot of room to work on these things and identifying the weep port isn't exactly intuitive (I only know 'cuz mine leaked after some dealer ministrations).

Last edited:
I only use Honda transmission fluid in my cars. The couple extra bucks per drain/fill is not worth the risk to me. Just because other fluids work great for people doesn't mean it isn't doing harm that may show up down the road.

I also recommend a drain and fill every 30k miles. On my car at least (2010 Civic auto) it is a SUPER easy process and only costs me $18 in fluid.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
I only use Honda transmission fluid in my cars. The couple extra bucks per drain/fill is not worth the risk to me. Just because other fluids work great for people doesn't mean it isn't doing harm that may show up down the road.

I also recommend a drain and fill every 30k miles. On my car at least (2010 Civic auto) it is a SUPER easy process and only costs me $18 in fluid.

Honda transmissions can be a little finicky if they don't use the OEM fluid and it isn't that expensive to get the OEM fluid at the dealer. Normally I would say Valvoline maxlife and LGR for 99% of the applications but this the 1%. If you are going to put on miles like that every year I would do a drain and fill every year otherwise I would do it every 30-50k

CRV 2015 owners manual says on page 449.

Maintenance
Transmission Fluid
Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.

Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid
Specified fluid: Honda HCF-2 Transmission Fluid

Continuously Variable Transmission Fluid
NOTICE
Do not mix HCF-2 with other transmission fluids.
Using a transmission fluid other than HCF-2 may
adversely affect the operation and durability of your
vehicle’s transmission, and damage the transmission.
Any damage caused by using a transmission fluid that
is not equivalent to HCF-2 is not covered by Honda’s
new vehicle warranty

(Not DW1)

Last edited:
I'd be pretty scared to do anything but exactly what honda says for the new CVTs until someone else has really proven its safe to use other stuff and your warranty is expired anyway.

Is the MM telling you to change it now? Change it when the MM tells you to, and yes, a 3qt drain and fill every time the minder says so will be fine.

Maxlife is awesome, but NOT in a CVT! But don't worry, as Castrol and Valvoline make a great CVT Fluid. You can get Castrol CVT on Amazon at a great price, about $35 for 6 quarts
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 1bioguy
Thanks all, is the procedure for drain/fill same for cvt as traditional trans?

See my earlier response. No, it is not.

Two things: first, definitely use the Honda HCF-2 fluid - you can buy it online from Amazon or places like Handa Accessories (yes, spelled with an "a"). Second, look at your owner's manual. For my 2015 Civic, the "severe" schedule is replacing it every 25,000 miles or 40,000 km. Since it is just a drain and fill, a lot of the current fluid will remain in there when you do a drain and fill. Based on the research I've done, it looks like Honda (and other manufacturers) have lowered the number of miles between changes over time, in part because some of the problems some manufacturers have had with their CVTs. In short, based on that and the drain and fill is only replacing a portion of the fluid, I plan to do a drain and fill every 15,000 miles on mine, so every 30,000 miles I will get approximately the equivalent of a full fluid change. Sure, it will cost more and take more time, but with such a critical component as a transmission, I think it's worth it. Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: atxmazdahonda
Two things: first, definitely use the Honda HCF-2 fluid - you can buy it online from Amazon or places like Handa Accessories (yes, spelled with an "a"). Second, look at your owner's manual. For my 2015 Civic, the "severe" schedule is replacing it every 25,000 miles or 40,000 km.

I thought Honda used the MM to determine intervals, and that they don't publish any kind of schedule anywhere--they rely only on the MM

My 2015 Civic (which has the 2nd-generation CVT) manual states: "*4: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) models: Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed every 25,000 miles (40,000 km)." in the footnotes on page 117. I don't operate in those conditions, howver, due to the reasons mentioned earlier, I am going to do a drain and fill every 15,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back