2014 Sonata Turbo First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cylinder head guy always has his place crawling with 1.8t heads that have eaten their cam lobes. I'd run synthetic for more than just the turbo.

But for turbo cars, in general, I'd rather do with the extra durability at high heat of the syn, then to not have it.

At some auto parts stores, you can buy JUGs of 5+ qts of oil. I am not sure if it is store specific or if it even matters as all in this post but, I thought I'd bring it up.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: maximus
Orange dipstick = 5.28 QTS
Yellow dipstick = 4.86 QTS

I can confirm this.

I believe but can't confirm that orange indicates a Korean built engine.

Quote:
FWIW, I found a service card in the glove box that says 5.3 quarts and 3000 miles for the first oil change and every 5000 after that.

So maybe an Orange dipstick really does = 5.28 QTS

Seems Hyundai is getting a bit sloppy in regard to this. My '14 Santa Fe 2.4 manual says: 5.28 Qts. 5w-30, 10w-30. It has an orange dip stick. But the oil cap says 5w-20 and is at the full line with just under 5 qts. The 2 sonata's I had previously said 5w-20 on the cap and manual and had yellow dipsticks. Both took just under 5 qts. to show full, as was indicated in manual, 4.86 qts.

Go figure. I think I'm going to request a new cap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrianC
Originally Posted By: maximus
Orange dipstick = 5.28 QTS
Yellow dipstick = 4.86 QTS

I can confirm this.

I believe but can't confirm that orange indicates a Korean built engine.

Quote:
FWIW, I found a service card in the glove box that says 5.3 quarts and 3000 miles for the first oil change and every 5000 after that.

So maybe an Orange dipstick really does = 5.28 QTS

Seems Hyundai is getting a bit sloppy in regard to this. My '14 Santa Fe 2.4 manual says: 5.28 Qts. 5w-30, 10w-30. It has an orange dip stick. But the oil cap says 5w-20 and is at the full line with just under 5 qts. The 2 sonata's I had previously said 5w-20 on the cap and manual and had yellow dipsticks. Both took just under 5 qts. to show full, as was indicated in manual, 4.86 qts.

All the 2.4L caps say 5W-20. The manual says you can use 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 (Sonata 2.4). I just add 5qts, look at the dipstick, see it's full and close the hood. Both vehicles in sig.

Last edited:
Quote:

Quote:
All the 2.4L caps say 5W-20. The manual says you can use 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30 (Sonata 2.4). I just add 5qts, look at the dipstick, see it's full and close the hood. Both vehicles in sig.

The Santa Fe manual does not mention 5w-20...only 5w-30 and 10w-30. I would think the cap would match the manual. I do the same (5 qts.) as far as filling goes, I doubt that 4 ozs is gonna cause a problem.

Originally Posted By: brianc

The Santa Fe manual does not mention 5w-20...only 5w-30 and 10w-30. I would think the cap would match the manual. I do the same (5 qts.) as far as filling goes, I doubt that 4 ozs is gonna cause a problem.

Ah, got it. They must issue one Santa Fe Sport manual (2.0T and 2.4) because i looked in my wife's and you are correct. Only on the back cover does it mention 5w20 on our 2013. But nowhere inside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back