2014 silverado oil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I found this website looking for advise on my new 2014 silverado I purchased in August. My truck has the 5.3 engine and my issue is excessive oil consumption. My truck calls for 0-20 oil and it's using about a quart per 900 miles. The dealer said this is normal and the engine is still breaking in. I have 4200 miles on the truck and this just seems excessive to me. It just drive it for commuting I haven't towed at all and haven't even hauled a heady load in the bed yet. Any advise would be appreciated. I'm sick over this I paid $35000 for this truck and I saved for years trying to afford a new truck. Thank you

Try a specific Silverado website. I don't run Xw - 20 anything in the families vehicles. Unless they were to live in below 0 conditions. Have you ran the engine hard? Rings need pressure from combustion to seal.

I haven't run it hard but haven't babied it either. I jumped on the throttle a few times but that's all so far. I'm using the 0w20 due to it being under warranty and had the oil changed at the dealer.

Don't worry yet...the engine is not broken in yet. You really need to give these new generation direct injected truck engines a good 10k miles before all settles in.

x-20 oils are for MPG's only. read where a thousand was considered normal. not for me especially new $$$$, warranty is your problem but if it didn't improve i would contact GM + check the LEMON law. that said try a top quality 5-30 "synthetic" better yet 10-30 "synthetic" oil. these group III oils are very good + since 1999 are legally labeled synthetic in USA but are severly hydrocracked mineral oils. a 10-30 will require less VII making it more stable + flow good enough for our weather. the new pennz platinum from GTL looks to be a great oil. i use real group IV synthetic Amsoil in everything i own with wheels. girlfriends 13 LS malibu 2.5L took 2 qts of the watery 5-20 oil in 3,000 miles, switched her to Amsoil 10-30 signature series added none in 12,000 miles yearly change with filter at 6 months, don't tell the Stealer!!! there are several Dexos I approved oils that would prolly serve the warranty, speaking with your stealer on this may be a good move

Last edited:
Change the oil and filter at 5,000. Monitor the oil use carefully after that and record the mileage, date, and quantity of oil added.

If you continue to see oil use, tell your dealer that you'd like to file a warranty claim. If they reject your claim, contact GM directly.

A further note: Stick with 0w-20 if that's what the owner's manual requires. Don't give them an excuse to reject a claim.

run it hard for a few miles. Being in the engine business i see this from time to time.
you dont have to worry you have the best lemon law attorneys in P.A.

Sucks. They're no doubt good looking trucks that I eyeball from my GMT900.

Give it some more time w/ revs, extended heavy throttle loadings and long downshifted coasting decelerations to help seat things up properly.

Good luck and keep us posted, okay?

I would try a 5w-30 or 10w-30 but the manual states I have to use 0w-20. I'm just afraid to void the warranty at this point since it only has 4200 miles on it. I had the factory oil changed at 3000 miles at the dealer and added a quart at 3900 miles. Since I bought it I've averaged 900 miles a quart I'm topping off with ac delco 0w-20.

I cant say I agree that 0w20 has any bearing on this issue.

2 things here

1) its not broken in yet.

2) it has a consumption issue

Start documenting in a maintenance book mileage and oil you add.

LAST thing I would do is use a non-recommended oil weight if you have an oil consumption issue under warranty.

I'm documenting every time I add oil and going to keep going to the dealer for oil changes so they can't say I'm not maintaining the truck. The other issue I noticed with it is the motor pings a lot on 87 octane. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. The dealer said both issues are normal. I will give it a few hard runs to see if that helps at all it just ticks me off I saved for years to afford this truck.

Don't you dare even consider using any oil except an exact oil specifically approved by GM. In fact have the dealer change the oil. Document everything very carefully. Get a spiral notebook and keep notes and staple the receipts on pages as you go. Have the dealer check your oil periodically and add the makeup oil as needed. Write it down, names, phone numbers, date and time and staple the receipts. Don't give the dealer any wiggle room in case you have to file a claim. Be very diligent. You're only doing this one time and you signed your reputation away on a contract along with a lot of money (to you). The dealer does this every day of every week of every month of every year he's been in business. The dealer will not give an inch. You have to take the high ground if it comes to a claim or you'll never have a good outcome. You will have one chance to make your case. You must have everything there and ready. And that's the notebook.

That's exactly what I'm doing. The make up oil I add I even bought off the dealer. I saved receipts and I'm writing down everything in a note book for my proof in case I have to make a claim against them.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
That's exactly what I'm doing. The make up oil I add I even bought off the dealer. I saved receipts and I'm writing down everything in a note book for my proof in case I have to make a claim against them.

That's all you can do for now. Drive it hard. If you're still seeing the consumption between 5,000 and 10,000 miles, start the claim process. The pinging you're describing is troubling too. Make sure the dealer is documenting both issues.

Originally Posted By: Jschreffler81
The other issue I noticed with it is the motor pings a lot on 87 octane. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. The dealer said both issues are normal. I will give it a few hard runs to see if that helps at all it just ticks me off I saved for years to afford this truck.

Try to make the pinging stop by adjusting input to the gas pedal. When it's safe, accelerate faster. Until the engine is broke-in and rings are seated try to learn to drive with no pinging at all by adjusting input to the gas pedal as soon as you hear pinging start. It could take a year or two to completely stop burning oil.

Last edited:
Low tension piston rings + 0W-20 = 1 quart burned every 900 miles.

Catalytic converter is gonna be gettin plugged up pretty soon too.

If its burning 1 quart per 900 miles I doubt 0w20 is your issue. And if GM spec'd 0w20 and didn't build the engine to run on it, shame on them. Be ready to make a claim.

Sorry to hear about your new truck having issues. I don't think you're going to get that much consumption completely straightened out no matter how hard you get on it, just maybe lessen the consumption.

The 20 grade oil isn't the problem, it's the engine. As long as you didn't totally baby it, you can't be blamed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back