2014 silverado oil issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: wemay
Just fine. The 0W20 oil is super thin. Just like water. GM admonishes against running thicker oil in their DI truck engines. The oil passages are very narrow and the 0W20 oil is thin enough to flow through properly.

Where can this information be found? The Owners Manual? This is the first time i hear of only one oil viscosity being accepted. Just curious is all.

Yes, the owner's manual is where this info can be found. Historically as far back as the late 80's and early 90's GM has not run any oil thicker than 5W30 due to failures from running thicker oils during R&D testing. GM has stated that it's new DI truck engines have narrow oil passages and the thinner 0W20 oil flows easier through narrow passages and so for that, it is the only approved viscosity for that application. I will try to dig up the section of the owner's manual that states this. My owner's manual (Cadillac CTS-V) states never to run any oil thicker than 5W30 and for cold climates a 0W30 oil is acceptable.

That doesn't sound right. GM runs 0w-40 in their own track program Corvettes....
21.gif

Yeah, Mobil 1 on both the UK and German sites recommend 0W-40 for my 1.8L (GM) Ecotec). The U.S. Saturn manual says to use only 5W-30 and 0W-30 meeting the GM6094 spec...

I have taken this car pedal to the metal since it had 5 miles on the clock and my engine is still consuming oil at a good pace.

Drive it like you stole it and get those rings seated!

This article would suggest people not follow your advice, and follow the recommendations in the car manual regarding break-in procedures..

http://www.autos.ca/auto-tech/auto-tech-breaking/

I always just start out driving a new vehicle just like I will be for it's entire life. I have never followed any so-called "break in" procedures. Now true, I don't drive around like I am trying to get poll position at Daytona, but I do not play the babying game early on either. I just drive it normal. And If I need to tow a trailer early on, I tow it just like I will anytime. I do use the vis oil that they recommend, but that is about it. Like my 2013 Chevy pickup, I use a 5w30 synthetic I get from Schaeffer along with my other commercial bulk orders, Not specifically on the dexos list, but it is a 5w30 that Schaeffer claims that meets the spec. I sleep quite well at night.

Nobody has touched on the dipstick markings being the culprit.

Incorrect reading of the oil level could result in the oil being
overfilled.

I found with DuraMax engines the best procedure was to let the vehicle
sit overnight, pull the dipstick out of the engine for a few minutes
to let any trapped oil run down the tube, then check the oil.

For information, not a suggestion- I've been using 15W40 and 5W40 in a
2013 5.3.

Used oil samples show nothing drastic going on.

The engine oil starts out just above full mark, and 6,000 miles later, it is just under add.

Or about 1.5 liters per 6,000 miles.

The truck is driven 600 miles per week.

It's not an issue with the dipstick markings or whether or not the dealer put the correct amount of oil in. I always check my oil when the engine is cold and on level ground. After I put about 500 miles on the truck the I checked the oil level just because I figured it may use some breaking in. I have been checking it roughly every 500 miles but don't add any until it's down a full quart which is every 900 miles. Since posting here the I was contacted by gm and they are monitoring my level at the dealership so they can verify the issue. I have to say to anyone with an issue with a gm product is to post about it on a forum somewhere and it will get there attention quick. I am very impressed with gm's customer service since I posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back