2014 Pentastar cylinder head issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Chrysler improve the cylinder head design or completely fix the problem? My brother is considering a new Jk. But i told him think 2x... Chrysler tech, pls .... Appreciated. Happy Monday

Supposedly, middle of 2013 revision in the Driver side head.

Know a couple techs at local Dodge store, they havent had any late 2013 or 2014 models where they have had to swap any heads.

Chrysler extended the warrany on the 2012 and 2013 to 150K miles I believe.

Last edited:
IIRC, there were two revisions to the head. Something to with #2 cylinder. My son and a friend are Chrysler techs and I don't think they've done any of the new ones either.

I thought it was mid '13 model year / mid '12 production date that the "C" heads hit production lines.

Last edited:
IIRC the problem ended with a few early 2013's. The head went through 2 revisions and the 'AC' head did the trick. 2014 is GTG, and 2015 is essentially the same. DI still hasn't caught up to it yet, which IMO is a plus.
27.gif

Actually my son's shop is taking apart more Hemis than Pentastars right now.

I found the thread in the Jeep forum that I had read, it claims revision "C" heads hit production Oct of 2012. Revision "B" out in June of 2012, so '13 model year cars are all supposed to have the second or third revision of the head. There had not been any reports of the ticking issue on either the A or B heads. Apparently a few reports of cam bearing journal issues on the B.

Originally Posted By: cp3

Dropped valves?

They have a revision on the Chain guides, doing a recall on them.

I saw a hemi at the local store my friend was working on, needed a new cam, had 350K miles on it in Landscapers 2500 Ram plow truck. Engine looked mint but one of the followers had worn and took out a lobe, of course guy had service contract and his cost was 100$, guess he was smiling saying Chrysler is my pit crew.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
They have a revision on the Chain guides, doing a recall on them.

I saw a hemi at the local store my friend was working on, needed a new cam, had 350K miles on it in Landscapers 2500 Ram plow truck. Engine looked mint but one of the followers had worn and took out a lobe, of course guy had service contract and his cost was 100$, guess he was smiling saying Chrysler is my pit crew.

350K not bad.

This means nothing unless you are only referring to model years 2011+. The 5.7 has been around 8 more years than the Pentastar, so yea -- you are going to see more of them in the shop.

But back to the original question..."head issues" should be the least of concern. You may want to read up on the forums for other issue...

Considering his dealership sells more Pentastars than Hemis and does more warranty work than payed, I would disagree that this means nothing.

What are the issues that are more of a concern than head?

Considering his dealership sells more Pentastars than Hemis and does more warranty work than payed, I would disagree that this means nothing.

The issue affects very few engines. Less than one percent of total production at the time, and it has been resolved for a long time now.

A huge non-problem...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The issue affects very few engines. Less than one percent of total production at the time, and it has been resolved for a long time now.

A huge non-problem...

The head or the chain guide?

NOTE: I'm not saying either is a big concern...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back