2014 Jetta 4 year review

Status
Not open for further replies.
gregk24, what model Jetta do you have? Thanks for the review and hopefully mine will be trouble free for miles and miles to come also.

Dale

Originally Posted By: earthbound
sorry, but 36k after 4yrs is hardly anything to brag about. if you said 136k and only the ign cylinder issue, then yeah for a vw you did well.

There is a review of a 2014 Nissan Versa right below this one with a little bit more mileage at 58400 and somehow nobody in that thread told OP that it's hardly anything to brag about.

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
Not to be a smart aff but my Nissan Versa, a cheaper car with roll down windows and manual transmission, has been more reliable than your German-engineered Jetta. Mine has 60k miles.

'08 Toyota Yaris Sedan, 64k miles. Original owner.

Traded for a '16 VW Golf SportWagen. At a pretty good price too.... It pays to be persistent...

Congrats to the OP.

P.S. - RANT: BITOG-ers, really? The OP posts a review of his car and you put him down?
What happen with "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say nothing at all?"
What's so hard with ignoring the thread if you don't like something?
I thought we are motorheads, not light-fluffy-heads

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: earthbound
sorry, but 36k after 4yrs is hardly anything to brag about. if you said 136k and only the ign cylinder issue, then yeah for a vw you did well.

There is a review of a 2014 Nissan Versa right below this one with a little bit more mileage at 58400 and somehow nobody in that thread told OP that it's hardly anything to brag about.

well I would of...

I'll be the first to admit that about 4 years ago I hated VWs. My sister had a 2001 Jetta 2.0L that was a major pile of poo. Transmission took a dump at 110k miles, engine burned/leaked about a quart a week, electrical nightmares, etc.

Fast forward a few years, and they have been improved quite a bit. I have 3 friends with Jettas 2012-2015, and my sister just bought a 2013 about 6 months ago. Another friend sold his 2010 2.5L Jetta with over 230k miles on it and very little issues.

You get a lot of car for the money. My sister drives all over New England for her job, and she loves driving. On the weekends she goes to the mountains in NH for day trips. She needed something to replace her falling apart 2005 Civic, and we test drove pretty much everything. Corolla, Civic, Cruze, Sonata, Mazda 3, etc. She kept coming back to the Jetta because the price was right and in her words "it's just fun".

I had a '14 Jetta for a rental in '14. My wife and I used it to travel from LA to SF up the Pacific Coast Highway. At first I was a bit disappointed, having never driven a turbo more than in a parking lot, but after I got used to the little bit of lag I quite liked the car. As Greg's review said, the 1.8T has impressive pull for the class of car it's in (although the new Civic's 1.5T may now be better). The other thing that struck me was the feeling of solidity, it was fantastic. That translated to competent handling which made the drive fun, at one point I was keeping up with a BMW and Maxima [sloppily] harassing each other in the twisties. There were some hard plastics inside but it was buttoned up very well. This car surprised me in a good way and helped make the drive enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
With a frown on your face the whole time.

No one buys a VW expecting it to be a 100% trouble free appliance. They buy them because they handle, drive, and perform nice.

Guys: Did I just defend a VW?
grin2.gif

Oh wow! I can't believe what I'm reading.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

No one buys a VW expecting it to be a 100% trouble free appliance. They buy them because they handle, drive, and perform nice.

grin2.gif

Oh wow! I can't believe what I'm reading.
smile.gif

Perhaps Nick is coming around and accepting the idea that no manufacturer is perfect now that his, so we'll regarded Hyundai, is showing signs of early trouble.

Not to be a smart aff but my Nissan Versa, a cheaper car with roll down windows and manual transmission, has been more reliable than your German-engineered Jetta. Mine has 60k miles.

Yeah but the Jetta has much better fit and finish over a Versa. I'll take a Jetta over a Versa any [censored] day!!

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I had a '14 Jetta for a rental in '14. My wife and I used it to travel from LA to SF up the Pacific Coast Highway. At first I was a bit disappointed, having never driven a turbo more than in a parking lot, but after I got used to the little bit of lag I quite liked the car. As Greg's review said, the 1.8T has impressive pull for the class of car it's in (although the new Civic's 1.5T may now be better). The other thing that struck me was the feeling of solidity, it was fantastic. That translated to competent handling which made the drive fun, at one point I was keeping up with a BMW and Maxima [sloppily] harassing each other in the twisties. There were some hard plastics inside but it was buttoned up very well. This car surprised me in a good way and helped make the drive enjoyable.

Yes, solidity is a good way to describe how the car feels and behaves.

grin2.gif

Nick welcome back to the dark side man!

Originally Posted By: deven

Yeah but the Jetta has much better fit and finish over a Versa. I'll take a Jetta over a Versa any [censored] day!!

Yes! I have had 2 rental Versa's, the last we had for a week and a half in Hawaii. What a boring car to drive! I zaps all the fun out of driving.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I wonder how this 2014 Jetta compares to a 2014 Mazda 3 ?

Probably the same or better. My mom's Mazda6 is in the shop way more than my dad's Jetta Hybrid ever was.

Why is there always at least one person in every thread that does this?

Hey, FermeLaPorte, are you offering to buy everyone on the forum a Nissan Versa in order for them to be as cool as you are?
Because there are a whole lot of us on here who wouldn't buy that car with our own money, no matter how great you want to believe it is.

I personally would have saved up a little bit more money, and bought the Toyota Yaris iA, gotten a Mazda in disguise, along with better fuel economy, and actual driving dynamics when going around a corner.

But, you bought your car with roll up windows for your own reasons, and not the same reasons as everyone else who buys something different.

BC.

Congratulations on a good car made better by a good owner.
Well written review and gracious responses.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Glad it has served you well!

Greggk24,

Classy response to someone who was looking to start an argument...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back