2014 Jetta 4 year review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading this forum for a couple years, but just registered for this thread. Was surprised at the comment that VW's aren't well thought of, I never noticed.
I have the same car (2014, 1.8T EA888), but do a little more driving than you do. Currently at 84,000 miles, no issues at all. Have been using Mobile 1 0W-40, but did use castrol the first few changes. I only went to the dealer for the first change, took 3 hours, so free or not, that was the last time I went. I use ~7,500 OCI.
Also have a 2002 Jetta TDI - 245,000 miles. I've had some leaks (injector pump, valve cover), but it's also been incredibly reliable. I may just be lucky (had a volvo with 214,000 issue free miles too), but I always chalked it up to keeping them maintained.
Good luck, and enjoy the car.

Probably a good idea to keep fresh oil in it. 10k is definitely too long IMO.

Friend has a '12 GLI and has been having a host of problems recently.

Broken suspension spring, rear window glass falling off track, limp mode issues (coil pack.) He started it up when I was standing next to it a few weeks ago and it made a very loud squealing noise. Not sure what that was. I think he said the turbo is also on its way out.

Car has less than 100k. Issues didn't pop up until 60-75k iirc. Hope yours is more reliable than his.

In my leased '17 Jetta 1.4t I did the first oil change at 8000...even though it's leased and won't be my problem after the lease is up I still can't stomach doing a 10,000 OCI on a dinky little turbocharged engine. So it costs me an extra $49 dealer oil change during the life of the lease, so what? It makes me feel better about the whole thing, like I'm being a good steward of the car.

I still think the Jetta is one of the best bargains for what you get. My sister's 2013 SE with the 2.5L has been flawless, gets great MPG, and has a nice interior and driving dynamics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back