2014 Hyundai Equus 5.0 GDI with 17k miles, do I need an oil analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate that I purchased in March 2017 with only 9k miles on the odometer. The car was owned by Hyundai and used in promotional events such as golf tournaments etc, during which time it only accumulated about 2,500 miles. An independent dealer bought it at auction, and the dealer owner drove it for another 6,500 miles during the six months he had it before I purchased it. In the 24 months I've owned it I've only put 8,000 more miles on it.

After my purchase I had my independent mechanic do an oil change with synthetic oil and an unknown brand filter. I then had the 15k service done at the Hyundai dealership in January 2018, which obviously included an oil change with Mobil1. After 14 months I'm going to change the oil myself with Mobil1 and an OEM filter (I know, a bit late), but I'm curious if there's anything else I should do to make sure the engine is in good health. Should I do an oil analysis before changing the oil? Would this indicate if there are any sludging issues? I read somewhere about this engine possibly having a sludge issue so it's in the back of my mind. How about an additive/cleaner right before the oil change? I don't know if the car sat for long periods of time in between it's limited periods of use while being a promo vehicle.

Any suggestions?

Normally I would not bother with such low miles but why not? It should help you establish the correct OCI given your not normal driving habits.

Any recommendations for oil analysis vendors or are they all about the same? I just ordered a kit from Blackstone.

Last edited:
Blackstone is probably fine. That engine is fine and there is no way there is sludge forming anywhere on a low-miles engine with 2 oil changes already.
Every 50,000 miles, put in a summer time fill of a carbon-ringland cleaner, which should also handle any varnish issues. Use Cummin's "Valvoline Premium Blue Restore". Lots of threads on it. Here is JAG's thread a while back that outlined its cleaning abilities. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...arbon-cleaning-valvoline-premium-restore
That is for really hard-core cleaning, and you probably don't need it anytime soon.
For now, just do a 3,000 mile Mobil1 oil change, or really any dexos1-rated full syn, and continue as usual if you want to be sure you've got this controlled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back