2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost, Rotella Gas Truck 5w30, 7.5k OCI

2014 Ford F150 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost

Another oil change, another blackstone report.

This truck has the following modifications: 93 octane 5* tow tune, Mishimoto intercooler, 170 t-stat.

Mild towing again with up to 7k# trailers. Probably between 500-700 miles of this interval was towing trailers. I believe the oil filter was a carquest red(wix). Truck is remote started in the mornings before I take off to work.

I've labeled the types of oil from the previous oil changes so the differences between them can be seen more easily.

Attachments

• 12-14-2020.jpg
    12-14-2020.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 580
Yeah, I’ve got to say I like the Rotella Gas Truck oil...had good luck with it in terms of lowering oil consumption a little bit. Not sure if they’re still running their rebates, but it used to be a steal.

Nice looking reports.

The RGT sheared down below grade, and iron ticked up. The shear down is consistent.
7500 would be the max limit imo.
If it was my truck, I would probably change at 6,000 mile intervals.

Looks good to me. UOA’s like yours make me want to try and actually us my OLM on my Ecoboost.

2014 Ford F150 3.5L twin turbo ecoboost

Another oil change, another blackstone report.

This truck has the following modifications: 93 octane 5* tow tune, Mishimoto intercooler, 170 t-stat.

Mild towing again with up to 7k# trailers. Probably between 500-700 miles of this interval was towing trailers. I believe the oil filter was a carquest red(wix). Truck is remote started in the mornings before I take off to work.

I've labeled the types of oil from the previous oil changes so the differences between them can be seen more easily.
Nice report! I've run M1 EP 5w30 in mine exclusively until the current OCI. I'm now running the RGT because I got a bunch of it on clearance. I think it is great oil and this confirms it.
Looks good to me. UOA’s like yours make me want to try and actually us my OLM on my Ecoboost.

I use the OLM with M1 EP on my Transit's Ecoboost. I've not seen any good reason not to do that. It usually triggers an oil change at about 10k or just before. I've never seen any oil usage nor have I ever smelled fuel in the oil like some Ecoboosts. My wife mostly drives it and it gets warmed up plenty. Very rare is there a short trip where the engine doesn't get up to full temp, so I don't think it is a particularly hard pattern on the engine or oil. I'm swapping out the RGT early because I'm taking a long trip and I'm a little OCD about starting out on fresh oil. I'm at about 5k now, anyway, on the RGT. I might even do a UOA on it. I'll be putting RTG in again this time. Btw, I run a Fram Ultra XG10575.

looks good to me. Your copper numbers are way better than mine, we do similar oci's. Mine are usually in the high 20's

I thought that the red carquest filters were repackaged red purolator filters?
They were purchased from RA as repackaged wix filters when they went on sale for $2 each. They were not identical when I received them. Some looked exactly like the motorcraft, and others had slight variation.

given your tune, and towing use, i'd say you got your money's worth out of that run and changed it at the right time considering your TBN. I'd cap it at 7K miles to be safe for this oil. I currently also have RGT 5W-30 in my 4runner and i have a feeling it'll show fairly similar properties after about a 7-8k mile run, although my engine isn't as power dense as yours by a long shot. decent oil for the price, but not a long drain interval option IMO.

They were purchased from RA as repackaged wix filters when they went on sale for $2 each. They were not identical when I received them. Some looked exactly like the motorcraft, and others had slight variation.
Did you get old stock then? As far as I am aware, Purolator also supplies Motorcraft. The only one parts chain that has repackaged wix is NAPA and maybe O'Reillys. Again, correct me if I am wrong. I use to work for AAP not to long ago and I was always told that they came straight from Purolator.

Back