2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost, Rotella Gas Truck 5w30, 8,367 miles

2014 F150 3.5L ecoboost with 93 octane tow tune. Mild towing this time around with around 500 miles towing multiple trailers ranging from 2k-7k.

Motorcraft oil filter used. In the mornings, I usually remote start my vehicle 30 seconds before jumping in and taking off. This vehicle is used in central Florida and deals with the very hot weather at times.

Attachments

• 14_F150-200726[33858] edited.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 14_F150-200726[33858] edited-page-001 (1).jpg
    14_F150-200726[33858] edited-page-001 (1).jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 590
Looks like a good report. Also RGT seems to be a great product for this application. The phosphorus number looks a lot better for RGT than it does for PP.

Thanks . Just put 3.6 quarts of the R.G.T. 5w-30 with FRAM Ultra XG9688 in the '18 Accent ( 1.6 Ltr. G.D.I. ) . So far , so good .

Last edited:
Seems like a kind of weak showing for a tougher 'truck' oil - less than 2 TBN and sheared out of grade in less than 10k miles.

I'd consider this a very good report considering twin turbo, towing and Florida heat on a $12 jug of oil (after rebate). I'd say 8K is probably where I'd set the limit though. Maybe consider 5w40.

Pretty consistent showing across the board.

I've read a lot about how Magnatec is THE oil for Ecoboost engines here on BITOG, but I'm also seeing a number of reports (this one included) demonstrating that it's in-line with all the other brands out there.

Covshark, if you are willing to be a guinea pig, consider one of these: Mobil 1 ESP (available in 0w30, 5w30, and 0w40), Rotella Multi-vehicle, or a 0w40 European oil (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Castrol). I would love to see your results.

Signed:
A fuel diluting Ecoboost owner

PS, I went with Valvoline Premium Blue Restore “10w30” for my long (8000-9000 mi) summer trip, but it is a big financial commitment, and I am actively looking for a more affordable long-term approach. I’m thinking Valv PBR for the summer trip, with some “cheap” synthetic for interim fall/winter/spring: bi-annual oil change : Valvoline for the long summer, other oil for the rest: 2 fills per year. ORRR..., something “better than average” for year-round. I already own the summer 2021 VPBR fill oil, so no new news from me for awhile. PS, the VPBR held up to my fuel dilution in 2019, will change out summer 2020 fill and get a UOA sometime this fall. Will share those results (subject to NDA), but it may be a couple months.

U.O.A. ( Blackstone ) results of R.G.T. 5w-30 . Starts at 1:11 minutes .

Totally different 3.5 liter. That Ford edge was not turbo charged or direct injected back in those years. Nice video though.

I have such a huge stock of RGT(AAP sales w/rebate), I don't think I'll be switching oil anytime soon. I'm pleased with the results of RGT. I've just added a new intercooler a few weeks ago, so it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference (probably won't).

Covshark, if you are willing to be a guinea pig, consider one of these: Mobil 1 ESP (available in 0w30, 5w30, and 0w40), Rotella Multi-vehicle, or a 0w40 European oil (Pennzoil, Mobil 1, or Castrol). I would love to see your results.

Signed:
A fuel diluting Ecoboost owner

PS, I went with Valvoline Premium Blue Restore “10w30” for my long (8000-9000 mi) summer trip, but it is a big financial commitment, and I am actively looking for a more affordable long-term approach. I’m thinking Valv PBR for the summer trip, with some “cheap” synthetic for interim fall/winter/spring: bi-annual oil change : Valvoline for the long summer, other oil for the rest: 2 fills per year. ORRR..., something “better than average” for year-round. I already own the summer 2021 VPBR fill oil, so no new news from me for awhile. PS, the VPBR held up to my fuel dilution in 2019, will change out summer 2020 fill and get a UOA sometime this fall. Will share those results (subject to NDA), but it may be a couple months.

I have such a huge stock of RGT(AAP sales w/rebate), I don't think I'll be switching oil anytime soon. I'm pleased with the results of RGT. I've just added a new intercooler a few weeks ago, so it'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference (probably won't).
I gotta admit, looks better than PP. plus MultiVehicle is hard to find, and not overly cheap. I don’t know enough to venture into low-SAPs, given Texas gas. (Sulphur?)

Back