2014 Fast Lube Operator Survey Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
National Oil & Lube News
September 2014, page 18

http://noln.uberflip.com/i/368044

There are many more pieces of data, here are just a few that I find interesting:

Cost of goods for standard, full service LOF: $12.18
Break-even car count: 27.75
Miles customer drive between oil changes: 4597
Vehicles equipped with oil monitors: 41%
Miles driven between OCs by vehicles with monitors: 4686
(and miles driven between OCs by vehicles with monitors has DROPPED for three straight years)

Overall breakdown of Motor Oil Sales:
Conventional: 47%
Synthetic Blend: 9%
Full Synthetic: 15%
High Mileage: 18%
Diesel: 10%
Re-refined or "green": 1%
other: 1%

Overall breakdown of motor oil sales by weight/grade:
0W-20: 13%
5W-20: 29%
5W-30: 39%
10W-30: 6%
5W-40: 1%
15W-40: 1%
other: 1%

By an overwhelmingly HUGE margin, engine air filters are by far the best selling "add-on" service. Headlight restoration is a big business.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
This is probably the most important part.
Average ticket $71.02.
This is where the money is (unnecessary services).

It's not hard to hit that number, when they're charging $40 for conventional, $60 for HM and $77 for synthetic.

Besides, most cars need a tire rotation at each oil change. I wonder if they're also selling that service.

I'm not surprised by the relatively low number of miles driven between OC for vehicles with OLM. I had a company car with one (2011 Impala, I believe) and the OLM would take me to about 7,000 miles between oil changes. However, many of my coworkers would take theirs in every 3k miles, which would work out to 2-2.5 months, because of ingrained habits.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I'm not surprised by the relatively low number of miles driven between OC for vehicles with OLM. I had a company car with one (2011 Impala, I believe) and the OLM would take me to about 7,000 miles between oil changes. However, many of my coworkers would take theirs in every 3k miles, which would work out to 2-2.5 months, because of ingrained habits.

Our policy requires the drivers to follow the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back