2014 Fast Lube Operator Survey Results

National Oil & Lube News September 2014, page 18 http://noln.uberflip.com/i/368044 There are many more pieces of data, here are just a few that I find interesting: Cost of goods for standard, full service LOF: $12.18 Break-even car count: 27.75 Miles customer drive between oil changes: 4597 Vehicles equipped with oil monitors: 41% Miles driven between OCs by vehicles with monitors: 4686 (and miles driven between OCs by vehicles with monitors has DROPPED for three straight years) Overall breakdown of Motor Oil Sales: Conventional: 47% Synthetic Blend: 9% Full Synthetic: 15% High Mileage: 18% Diesel: 10% Re-refined or "green": 1% other: 1% Overall breakdown of motor oil sales by weight/grade: 0W-20: 13% 5W-20: 29% 5W-30: 39% 10W-30: 6% 5W-40: 1% 15W-40: 1% other: 1% By an overwhelmingly HUGE margin, engine air filters are by far the best selling "add-on" service. Headlight restoration is a big business.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
This is probably the most important part. Average ticket $71.02. This is where the money is (unnecessary services).
It's not hard to hit that number, when they're charging $40 for conventional, $60 for HM and $77 for synthetic. Besides, most cars need a tire rotation at each oil change. I wonder if they're also selling that service.

I'm not surprised by the relatively low number of miles driven between OC for vehicles with OLM. I had a company car with one (2011 Impala, I believe) and the OLM would take me to about 7,000 miles between oil changes. However, many of my coworkers would take theirs in every 3k miles, which would work out to 2-2.5 months, because of ingrained habits.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
I'm not surprised by the relatively low number of miles driven between OC for vehicles with OLM. I had a company car with one (2011 Impala, I believe) and the OLM would take me to about 7,000 miles between oil changes. However, many of my coworkers would take theirs in every 3k miles, which would work out to 2-2.5 months, because of ingrained habits.
Our policy requires the drivers to follow the OLM.