2013 Hyundai Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been off the board for a while, but over the past year, I have updated my fleet. I traded my 2009 GTI for a 13 Sonata GLS. I know there is not much love for Kia/Hyundai on the board, but the Sonata is just an appliance to get me to work. The GTI spent over a month in the shop in the past year (electrical and mechanical problems out the wazoo), and the extended warranty company would pay for mid size rentals. I drove the Toyota Camry, Sonata, and an Optima during those times.

I picked up this Sonata as CPO, 41K miles, with the popular package (power driver seat, auxiliary lights, alloy wheels, etc.) So far, I like it, although the steering is a little light, and the engine sounds a little raspy. Seats are comfortable, A/C is cold, and I am averaging 33 mpg.

Here are a few pics.

Dave

Last edited:
I think these are very nice, that's a good ride you have there. Hyundai and Kia have both been slowly and progressively "stepping up their game" over the last 8-10 years and it shows.

Great buy, especially in the same color as mine.
smile.gif

What is that stain on the driver's seat? LOL!

Have you looked at Mazda6 at all? It would have likely been more engaging to drive than any of the other cars you mentioned.

Congrats!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is that stain on the driver's seat?

Looks like a water or sweat stain that dried. Or maybe a light colored soda, or even soap of some kind? hard to tell from the pics....

Nice car.

My son has a white one same year model. He is short, and says that's it hard to see out the back when he needs to back up. I drove it, and it surprisingly has a lot of power, and it's not the turbo.

from a gti to a Sonata is a great choice Hyundai and Kia make great cars. Yes some of their engines make a little noise but they seem to last a long long time and the warranty can't be beat. The bad thing is because they are good cars and have that warranty they are now expensive not like years ago when they were cheap.

It looks much better than a 15 year old Crown Vic-the darling of BITOG forum members!

Originally Posted By: Ga129
What is that stain on the driver's seat?

Looks like a water or sweat stain that dried. Or maybe a light colored soda, or even soap of some kind? hard to tell from the pics....

It was a water stain, I left the driver's window down when a Fl afternoon thunderstorm came in. Upholstery cleaner took the stain out after it dried. I took these photos about a month ago.

Dave

What is that stain on the driver's seat? LOL!

Have you looked at Mazda6 at all? It would have likely been more engaging to drive than any of the other cars you mentioned.

Congrats!

I did not look at the Mazda6. I bought my daughter a 12 Mazda3 iTouring. I will post pics of that this weekend.
Dave

Dave, Just for your sig sake, both the Optima and Sonata share the same 2.4L GDi engine. Designated, Theta II.

wink.gif

I'm on my second new Hyundai and couldn't be happier. In my opinion, they're as well made as any other domestic or import vehicle in North America, and better in some ways. I'd definitely buy another when the time comes.

Nice car! Congrats!

Careful on these (post 2011 Sonatas)

The one I picked up for the MIL had a recall notice from Hyundai Canada acknowledging the engine oil consumption/burning associated with the motor. They state that during the manufacturing process of the crank, there was metal shavings that were not removed from the oil passages. These shavings end up blocking the oil passages on the crank bearing(s) and leads to seized main bearing(s).

As a result, they have extended her warranty on the engine block to 10 years/200,000kms.

I applaud them for taking a proactive measure to ensure their current customers are being taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back