:::2013 Hyundai Elantra owner travels 1 million miles with original powertrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice assumptions.
Even on my long family trips I never averaged the speed limit. You hit stop and go traffic, slow downs etc, so the average is below the speed limit and oftentimes it's not a small amount.
I would presume this lady doesn't just drive, but carries some sort of cargo. There is time involved with that as well, pickup/drop off waiting, getting signatures, filling out some paperwork, then there are restroom and food brakes.

Possible? Yes. Is it probable, I would say no.

I actually had to go into some of my records here, but I actually do have trucks doing 2500 miles per week on a 6 day schedule. This includes plenty of loading and unloading, with my drivers pulling the loads into the freezers upon delivery.

Assuming I gave my drivers Elantra sized loads (and vehicle) and let them take the vehicle home and start their route from home, it shouldn't be that hard to cover another 90 miles a day in the same effective work day.

I admit, I am having a little trouble understanding how a person car do deliveries of auto parts and miscellaneous with a Hyundai Elantra and find work both that reliable and profitable to the point that one can and would do it every single day for 5-6 years. I know alot about the delivery industry, and just don't see how this makes any 💰. The medical delivery previously mentioned, I understand, but auto parts and such? Who is doing this?

I really can't fault the naysayers here, because in order for this whole thing to work, we have to believe that for a 5-6.5 year period she:

*Met almost every woken hour of every single day of every week, of every month, to a profitable load
*Both willing and able to take every single one she could by herself
*These loads were profitable without the use of a vehicle designed to maximize load (small load/vehicle ratio)
*In the Kansas area?
*Was not unduly hampered by weather intervention in winter

While it is not outside the realm of possibility, it is well outside the realm of probability. I blame no one for doubting.

This would be heavily bolstered if it turned out she actually did work for a high dollar field like medical or pharma, or was regularly employed by a company with some sort of delivery-per-day incentive, but I think we will never know. All articles I find are amazingly short on details and Hyundai isn't going to poke holes in their own advertising.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by PimTac
Hard to believe

I feel the same way about guys changing out the factory fill at 500 miles........

You don't believe that people are changing their oil at 500 miles? Every new Corvette owner with the dry sump oil system is doing it, it's specified in the owner's manual and the dealer will even do it for free.

Originally Posted by CKN
Hard to believe

I feel the same way about guys changing out the factory fill at 500 miles........

Did it in all my cars.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by CKN
Hard to believe

You don't believe that people are changing their oil at 500 miles? Every new Corvette owner with the dry sump oil system is doing it, it's specified in the owner's manual and the dealer will even do it for free.

The hard to believe statement came first and was directed at a particular comment that was made beforehand. I didn't want to quote that person and derail the thread into a bicker fest.

Last edited:
IMO, this is fake news. The number of miles per day, every day, that she would have had to drive to get to 1,000,000 miles in five years can't be possible when traffic and weather are factored in, not to mention the down time required for maintenance, repairs, illness, sleep, etc. I don't know where she was doing this kind of driving, but on the highways I'm familiar with, traffic alone would make this feat impossible.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
I admit, I am having a little trouble understanding how a person car do deliveries of auto parts and miscellaneous with a Hyundai Elantra and find work both that reliable and profitable to the point that one can and would do it every single day for 5-6 years. I know alot about the delivery industry, and just don't see how this makes any 💰. The medical delivery previously mentioned, I understand, but auto parts and such? Who is doing this?

This is where I have the most skepticism. It's one thing to do a lot of miles. It's another to have a good, profitable reason to do so. There's a reason long haul freight is transported in big trucks and local short trip on demand passengers are hauled by a passenger car.

Here, roads are fairly wide open. I could fairly easily put on a whack of miles per day if I had the motivation. I would rarely have to worry about gridlock. I've gone on highway trips where I haven't seen anything except a train for over 100 miles. However, finding the motivation and funding to do so on an ongoing basis to accrue that total mileage is another thing.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp

This is where I have the most skepticism. It's one thing to do a lot of miles. It's another to have a good, profitable reason to do so. There's a reason long haul freight is transported in big trucks and local short trip on demand passengers are hauled by a passenger car.

Here, roads are fairly wide open. I could fairly easily put on a whack of miles per day if I had the motivation. I would rarely have to worry about gridlock. I've gone on highway trips where I haven't seen anything except a train for over 100 miles. However, finding the motivation and funding to do so on an ongoing basis to accrue that total mileage is another thing.

Where you live, traffic may not be major a limiting factor, but weather certainly would be. Where I live (Texas), weather wouldn't be a major limiting factor, but traffic certainly is. In many areas of the US, both of them would be limiting factors.

Originally Posted by wag123
IMO, this is fake news. The number of miles per day, every day, that she would have had to drive to get to 1,000,000 miles in five years can't be possible when traffic and weather are factored in, not to mention the down time required for maintenance, repairs, illness, sleep, etc. I don't know where she was doing this kind of driving, but on the highways I'm familiar with, traffic alone would make this feat impossible.

Yep. I agree .

It can be done but he would have to drive 9 PM - 6 AM daily for 5 years at 80 miles per hour to get 1 million miles.

Last edited:
And then... there are also the construction zones, inconsiderate moron drivers, and huge number of heavy trucks!!! One can't drive everywhere at 80 mph unfettered. To maintain an average speed of 75 or 80 mph you would have to drive at close to 100 mph a LOT of the time.

Originally Posted by wag123
Where you live, traffic may not be major a limiting factor, but weather certainly would be. Where I live (Texas), weather wouldn't be a major limiting factor, but traffic certainly is. In many areas of the US, both of them would be limiting factors.

Absolutely!

Maybe not fake news after all. Also, looks like Hyundai did more than give her the badge as she got a 2019 Elantra as well.

Link

That should quiet down the detractors. In the end we don't know the whole story, maybe for privacy reasons. If Hyundai has confirmed the mileage then this jury should rest.

She did state that she loves to drive.

I think the car would be vastly more capable of accomplishing this if properly maintained, than one person having to endure that grueling routine for 5 years, 7 days a week, without a day off.

This was posted the other week, so I'll paste my same reply below:

Everyone here calling it a 5 year old car.

It very well could be 6-1/2. My 2015 was made and sold in the summer of 2014.

1 million miles in 6-1/2 years is 154k miles a year. If she has a dedicated route of all highway and not so much traffic for 6 days a week, that's 493 miles a day. 60 mph average is just over 8 hours. Then there's her off days that she has to drive for too. Very do-able.

This probably isn't a salary job either. The more you drive and the more you deliver, the more you make.

That's the kind of job I want. Million mile Escape coming right up! It's gonna take a lot of Uber to get me there LOL.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
This was posted the other week, so I'll paste my same reply below:

Everyone here calling it a 5 year old car.

It very well could be 6-1/2. My 2015 was made and sold in the summer of 2014.

1 million miles in 6-1/2 years is 154k miles a year. If she has a dedicated route of all highway and not so much traffic for 6 days a week, that's 493 miles a day. 60 mph average is just over 8 hours. Then there's her off days that she has to drive for too. Very do-able.

This probably isn't a salary job either. The more you drive and the more you deliver, the more you make.

The linked articles clearly say five years.

Wow. She was doing some driving. I have a 2013 Freightliner semi truck that just turned 918,000 miles. And I thought the average 135,000 miles a year I drive was a lot. I can't even imagine being crammed into a sardine can of a vehicle for all those miles.

Maybe she bought her 2013 in 2012, but it does seem a little unbelievable and Hyundai wants the press. The idea of making a delivery means stopping so I don't see it. The front end doesn't have the beat/sandblasted look that every car I've seen over 4-500k has. It's not hard to change an odometer reading in a car if you're savvy with chip programming... this link has some more info. She says she drives 24/7 so maybe she does live in this car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a25645830/hyundai-elantra-million-miles/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back