2013 Fusion 2.0 Ecoboost HPL PCMO 5/30

Sample from wife's 2013 Fusion 2.0 EB. Iron is higher than expected but she only commutes about 2mi each way & does 95% city driving/short trips. Viscosity is also a bit lower than expected but fuel dilution came in as <1. Will be taking this car on a vacation next week where it'll see >1k mi of hwy use. Filter was an Amsoil for this 5k run, new filter is Fram Endurance (same filter). Wear Check listed this as HDMO on the report but it's actually the base PCMO. They got it correct on other pages of the report/interface.

OA-RPT-L-11072350-4433410 modified_Page_1.jpg

OA-RPT-L-11072350-4433410 modified_Page_2.jpg

Zinc is 1493, what oil were you using before you used HPL?

Do you have any previous UOA's for this Vehicle?

Zinc is 1493, what oil were you using before you used HPL?

Do you have any previous UOA's for this Vehicle?
There were a few things surprising here. That was one of them.

No, there are no previous UOA's for this vehicle. Going to do another on the next OCI though.

Previous oil was PUP 5/30 with a qt of EC30.

From 145k to 175k it used PUP 5/30.

I'm still waiting for the VOA of this oil to come back. I'm curious if there was an error made in the lab

There were a few things surprising here. That was one of them.

No, there are no previous UOA's for this vehicle. Going to do another on the next OCI though.

Previous oil was PUP 5/30 with a qt of EC30.

From 145k to 175k it used PUP 5/30.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, and I forgot about this, now I did not comment about the Iron level, but maybe HPL did something, and the HPL EC did something. What I am saying is maybe something was cleaned out and that is why you are seeing the high Iron Numbers. The Zinc Number, I have no clue.

You may need another 1 to 2 UOA's with HPL Engine Oil, the experts here on UOA's will explain what I cannot explain.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, and I forgot about this, now I did not comment about the Iron level, but maybe HPL did something, and the HPL EC did something. What I am saying is maybe something was cleaned out and that is why you are seeing the high Iron Numbers. The Zinc Number, I have no clue.

You may need another 1 to 2 UOA's with HPL Engine Oil, the experts here on UOA's will explain what I cannot explain.
I was starting to search for other UOA's of the base PCMO 5/30 as this seems to not be in line with many other PCMO UOA's of the higher tier HPL oils.

For the iron, I agree. It was a bit high to first look at but there was a small amount of fine particulate in the filter when I did the C&P. Figured on something being slightly elevated.

The add pack though looks to more closely resemble an older M1 Euro blend than what I've seen posted from HPL UOA's as of late.

Here are my UOA on my 2015 fusion 2.0L ecoboost. This is the same engine as yours.
I'm curious if the iron is from some cleaning, normal shed for your engine, or if the ZDDP level is almost to aggresive?

Here are my UOA on my 2015 fusion 2.0L ecoboost. This is the same engine as yours.
I'm curious if the iron is from some cleaning, normal shed for your engine, or if the ZDDP level is almost to aggresive?
With what HPL has listed as their elemental information, I'm starting to think that the lab might have made a mistake. Or, possibly that HPL bottled another formula into this batch of PCMO

1718306219679.jpg

This car also spent the majority of its life on Amsoil SS 5/30 with 90% hwy commuting of 25-30mi each way. At 145k mi it was swapped to PUP 5/30 as the commute shortened to just city driving. Did 10k mi OCI's on Amsoil SS 5/30 for the hwy commuting and 5k OCI for the short commute (including this run).

With what HPL has listed as their elemental information, I'm starting to think that the lab might have made a mistake. Or, possibly that HPL bottled another formula into this batch of PCMO
I would check with the lab and see if they can rerun the sample you sent.

View attachment 224764
That's an insane amount of Mg. That's where that TBN/TBN retention comes from I bet.

View attachment 224764

Yeah the UOA you have looks more like a racing motor oil than the HPL oil. I'd inquire with the lab and also HPL.

Heres my 5K PCMO run with 90% highway driving. I find it weird you're running a full saps oil on a GDI, that calcium looks concerning but probably being balanced out by the ZDDP but wheres the Moly?. That Base number is amazing for a short tripped vehicle. But fuel readings don't align with short tripping behavoir.

That's an insane amount of Mg. That's where that TBN/TBN retention comes from I bet.
Report in the OP says 15ppm of magnesium but a butt load of calcium!

EDIT, very odd report, I would inquire @Wearcheck to rerun the sample.

Heres my 5K PCMO run with 90% highway driving. I find it weird you're running a full saps oil on a GDI, that calcium looks concerning but probably being balanced out by the ZDDP but wheres the Moly?. That Base number is amazing for a short tripped vehicle. But fuel readings don't align with short tripping behavoir.

Report in the OP says 15ppm of magnesium but a butt load of calcium!

EDIT, very odd report, I would inquire @Wearcheck to rerun the sample.
Calcium should be in the 1200-1300 range with the HPL PCMO oils. There should also be Moly in there & only a trace of Boron as I did run the EC30 prior. EC30 has 100ppm of Boron so I don't see the car adding more to that on its own lol

Back