2013 Ford Focus ST - Pennzoil Platinum 11,279 km

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOAs on newer equipment are nearly worthless, except to provide fodder for banter (enter BITOGers who are bored ...
grin2.gif
)
Wear metals are skewed by break-in and Si is skewed by sealers, so there is zero ability to make any decent decisions out of this.

That being said, ditch the K&N. I've not seen any UOA that ever showed filtration being "better" with them. And generally, any OEM media filter will flow well more than enough air to sustain solid combustion events over the intended FCI.

If OEM OCIs are the intended exposure (I presume you'll use the IOLM), then ditch the expensive syn too. Any decent qualified dino lube meeting Ford specs will suffice for normal OCI events, and still have PLENTY of reserve safety margin. Your owner's manual calls for WSS-M2C945-A, which is met by a LONG list of fluids, many of which are dino.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODFOC/~MUS~LEN/41/13focom3e.pdf
page #307

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
UOAs on newer equipment are nearly worthless, except to provide fodder for banter (enter BITOGers who are bored ...
grin2.gif
)
Wear metals are skewed by break-in and Si is skewed by sealers, so there is zero ability to make any decent decisions out of this.

That being said, ditch the K&N. I've not seen any UOA that ever showed filtration being "better" with them. And generally, any OEM media filter will flow well more than enough air to sustain solid combustion events over the intended FCI. I

If OEM OCIs are the intended exposure (I presume you'll use the IOLM), then ditch the expensive syn too. Any decent qualified dino lube meeting Ford specs will suffice for normal OCI events, and still have PLENTY of reserve safety margin. Your owner's manual calls for WSS-M2C945-A, which is met by a LONG list of fluids, many of which are dino.
page #307

Maybe. But I'd be a little reluctant to go the 10,000 mile suggested OCI on conventional oil in a DI, turbocharged engine. No other auto recommends this. With all due respect for Ford Engineers...whose fallibility is demonstrated daily by the Focus dual clutch transmission.

Thanks for all the good comments, especially in regards to the K&N filter. Interestingly enough, I brought up this issue to blackstone (because I forgot to mention it). This is what they said:

"Having the K&N filter wouldn't change the results much. We usually don't see the aftermarket filters impacting the results, so no worries".

This is despite the tests run by BITOG which clearly show particulates passing through less dense and oiled filter media!

ajwan

Originally Posted By: Danh
grin2.gif
)

That being said, ditch the K&N. I've not seen any UOA that ever showed filtration being "better" with them. And generally, any OEM media filter will flow well more than enough air to sustain solid combustion events over the intended FCI. I

page #307

Maybe. But I'd be a little reluctant to go the 10,000 mile suggested OCI on conventional oil in a DI, turbocharged engine. No other auto recommends this. With all due respect for Ford Engineers...whose fallibility is demonstrated daily by the Focus dual clutch transmission.

The DCT is fine now that the programming has most of the kinks worked out. Theres nothing in this report that shows 10K ocis aren't plausible.

Originally Posted By: volk06
grin2.gif
)

page #307

The DCT is fine now that the programming has most of the kinks worked out. Theres nothing in this report that shows 10K ocis aren't plausible.

Ah, but you see I actually own a Focus with a DCT and can assure you things aren't "fine". Most troublesome transmission available in North America in my estimation. Nearly three years of production experience and still oil-soaked clutches, grinding, schizophrenic behavior, et al. An epic Ford engineering fail: I've sworn off the brand.

Over here:

http://fordstnation.com/f22-focus-st-repair-shop-service.html

there's a collection of 5 or so UOAs for the Focus ST 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost I-4 engine (turbo, DI), 3 being factory-fill (5W-30 synblend), one PU and one (mine) PP. Some of the oil runs were done to the oil-life-monitor, which goes off at roughly 10,000 miles. I think the benefits of a synthetic in a turbo DI engine are clear. The 100C cSt viscosity of Pennzoil Platinum out of the bottle is 10.0, mine sheared down only to 9.65, a 3.5% drop over close to 7,500 miles. Meanwhile the factory-fill synblends have sheared wayy out of the 5W-30 spec, to a 5W-20. Really interesting stuff!

In the end, if I can't find anymore Pennzoil Ultra, I'd be very happy using Pennzoil Platinum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajwan
Thanks for all the good comments, especially in regards to the K&N filter. Interestingly enough, I brought up this issue to blackstone (because I forgot to mention it). This is what they said:

"Having the K&N filter wouldn't change the results much. We usually don't see the aftermarket filters impacting the results, so no worries".

This is despite the tests run by BITOG which clearly show particulates passing through less dense and oiled filter media!

ajwan

Your sample looks good.

Yea i was gonna say, I've been running AEM/K&N on my 2.0t with DI for over 30k miles and my Si has leveled nicely. The aftermarket filter doesnt hurt it much has BITOG faithful preach.
Originally Posted By: ajwan
Over here:

http://fordstnation.com/f22-focus-st-repair-shop-service.html

there's a collection of 5 or so UOAs for the Focus ST 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost I-4 engine (turbo, DI), 3 being factory-fill (5W-30 synblend), one PU and one (mine) PP. Some of the oil runs were done to the oil-life-monitor, which goes off at roughly 10,000 miles. I think the benefits of a synthetic in a turbo DI engine are clear. The 100C cSt viscosity of Pennzoil Platinum out of the bottle is 10.0, mine sheared down only to 9.65, a 3.5% drop over close to 7,500 miles. Meanwhile the factory-fill synblends have sheared wayy out of the 5W-30 spec, to a 5W-20. Really interesting stuff!

In the end, if I can't find anymore Pennzoil Ultra, I'd be very happy using Pennzoil Platinum.

I'd stay "cheap" syn like PP and 7,500 miles. The key is you and the other ST uoa dont seem to show fuel dilution (unlike my platform...) so as long as thats good you ought to be fine. It all about driving style too...I see you're tuned and that helps the fuel dilution IMO. Probably gets rid of the "lazy"/rich AFR in the mid-range RPMs that most OEM turbo setups have for engine longevity reasons.

Originally Posted By: volk06
grin2.gif
)

page #307

Ah, but you see I actually own a Focus with a DCT and can assure you things aren't "fine". Most troublesome transmission available in North America in my estimation. Nearly three years of production experience and still oil-soaked clutches, grinding, schizophrenic behavior, et al. An epic Ford engineering fail: I've sworn off the brand.

We have 4 in the family. No problems so far. You actually brought up a good point though, your only estimating the problem and of course since you have had a problem, it left a sour taste in your mouth, which is understandable.

Well nationwide the problems were reported, not just 1 BITOG...

Yea maybe they fixed some of it with programming now. They also had how many years in development to make the program proper the 1st go-around?

Originally Posted By: RedHotOptima
Well nationwide the problems were reported, not just 1 BITOG...

Yea maybe they fixed some of it with programming now. They also had how many years in development to make the program proper the 1st go-around?

There are no doubt lots of good DCTs out there, but when Ford's CEO acknowledges the problem, owners are waiting for clutch parts that are backorderd and Ford TSBs now say grinding between gears is "normal" behavior, it's not a big stretch to conclude there's an issue.

There are no doubt lots of good DCTs out there, but when Ford's CEO acknowledges the problem, owners are waiting for clutch parts that are backorderd and Ford TSBs now say grinding between gears is "normal" behavior, it's not a big stretch to conclude there's an issue.

I agree.

It is always scary when you return to the stealership with your brand new car doing obviously bad things and the first thing they say is "they all do that"!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It is always scary when you return to the stealership with your brand new car doing obviously bad things and the first thing they say is "they all do that"!

That's the main thing that discourages me from picking up a Fiesta ST to use as my work beater- the local Ford dealers have absolutely abysmal service departments. My BMW dealer and my Mazda dealer are both first rate with respect to both service and pricing- no "could not replicate" nonsense or manic upselling or incompetent diagnostics.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Only 4% - 5% shearing is pretty good for an oil over 11,279 km in a free-revving turbocharged engine.

I agree.
As far as the next interval is concerned follow the labs advice. Isn't that why you paid them,for the data on oil condition and how long the oil can be used before depleted.
You've put ultra in there,the best off the shelf oil available. I suggest using it to its potential and not drain early based on feelings or uneducated opinions.
Do a uoa at 10000 miles and don't drain it. Get the results then decide based on the labs recommendation.
Or don't bother with the uoa. Why pay for data if its going to be ignored. I'm very interested to see how ultra performs in this application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back