2013 Ford Focus ST: 2.0L DI Turbo engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any opinions on oil for this vehicle? I don't have my owners manual yet (dealer forgot to include them), so I can only go by what people are saying on focus st forums, but most of them just argue back and forth.

I'm at 900 miles on my factory fill. I was going to change my oil tomorrow, but I don't know if it's too soon or not on the factory fill.

I also have no clue on what oil I should use. I'm guessing any 5w30 synthetic will do just fine.

Any thoughts?

Well in todays times, 900 is a bit early as, we want the piston rings to seat properly. New engines are a bit different breed from yesterdays engines! I'd wait for the owners manual and travel at least a couple of thousand miles before changing the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well in todays times, 900 is a bit early as, we want the piston rings to seat properly. New engines are a bit different breed from yesterdays engines! I'd wait for the owners manual and travel at least a couple of thousand miles before changing the factory fill.

That's what I would do.

Also drive it as if you intend to drive it, don't baby it, but don't red line it either. Just be generous with throttle application.

Heavy throttle in higher gears will yield an excellent ring seal.
Avoid low gears and redline for a bit, but don't be too gentle!

As far as changing the FF early, it's a feel good mod, like bigger oil filters. No proven benefit at all, but also unlikely to hurt much...

Personally, I'd wait another thousand miles, maybe two. Then use any quality synthetic 5W-30, especially Pennzoil/QS or Mobil 1 since they have the Honda HTO-06 turbo rating...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Heavy throttle in higher gears will yield an excellent ring seal.
Avoid low gears and redline for a bit, but don't be too gentle!

As far as changing the FF early, it's a feel good mod, like bigger oil filters. No proven benefit at all, but also unlikely to hurt much...

^^^^ this and you can also accelerate up to highway speeds and take your foot off the accelerator allowing the engine to "coast" (rinse and repeat). This will create a high vacuum condition in the cylinders that can help seat the rings.

Owner's manual should tell you what it needs. I believe the ST models have a specific Ford oil spec.

Originally Posted By: Josh8519
Any opinions on oil for this vehicle? I don't have my owners manual yet (dealer forgot to include them),

You know you can download the manual right? Here's what the manual (ST Supplement) says. You can use regular old dino oil that meets the Ford spec if you wish.

•Motorcraft SAE
5W-30 Premium
Synthetic Blend Motor
Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE
5W-30 Full Synthetic
Motor Oil (US)
•Motorcraft SAE
5W-30 Super Premium
Motor Oil (Canada)
•Motorcraft SAE
5W-30 Synthetic Motor
Oil (Canada)

2Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the
requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A, SAE 5W-30 and display the API Certification
Mark.
Your engine has been designed to be used with Ford engine oil, which gives a fuel
economy benefit while maintaining the durability of your engine. Using oils other than the one
specified can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

Interestingly, the capacity is 5.7 quarts, more than a quart more than the non-turbo Focus engine. Makes sense just first I'd heard of it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! And yes, I don't baby any of my cars during break in. I'm a firm believer of "hard" break ins or "drive it like you stole it."

I've done plenty of wot pulls.

Stick with synthetic for that Direct Injected Turbo. People with the 2.0L DI Turbo engine in the Hyundai Sonata/Genesis, which is an entirely different engine, but it's turbo and DI, recommend synthetic over conventional if you plan on driving it like you stole it.

I just hope your oil filter isn't between the intake manifold and/or t he AC lines like the 1.6L Ford Ecoboost Escape, which is a PITA to remove.

Originally Posted By: kam327

Interestingly, the capacity is 5.7 quarts, more than a quart more than the non-turbo Focus engine. Makes sense just first I'd heard of it.

It is probably because it has an oil cooler and oil lines going thru the turbo to keep that cool. My 1.6L only takes 3.5quarts...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Dump at 1,500 miles

Use m1 0w-40. That's what I would do if I bought a new ST

M1 0w40 might be acceptable out of warranty but he needs a Motor oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C946-A. This ends up being a 5w30 synthetic or motorcraft syn blend 5w30.

Last i checked M1 0w30 AFE meets that spec.

If you want some fancy stuff, Amsoil signature 0w30 and Redline 5w30 meet the spec.

Castrol Edge Professional is another choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Congrats on the new Foci STs guys. That car was on my short list, but it had too many doors for my taste so I ended up with a new GTI 3-Door.
Enjoy!

Thanks! The 2015 GTI seems to have the ST beat though. Couldn't wait though, I actually needed more doors having 2 kids and previously an RSX Type-S. Nevertheless I've never regretted my purchase! Yes, my ST is a "family car" LOL!

Originally Posted By: ajwan
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Congrats on the new Foci STs guys. That car was on my short list, but it had too many doors for my taste so I ended up with a new GTI 3-Door.
Enjoy!

Thanks! The 2015 GTI seems to have the ST beat though. Couldn't wait though, I actually needed more doors having 2 kids and previously an RSX Type-S. Nevertheless I've never regretted my purchase! Yes, my ST is a "family car" LOL!

I can certainly see the need for the extra doors. I don't get too concerned about what the critics say, buy what moves you.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
Stick with synthetic for that Direct Injected Turbo. People with the 2.0L DI Turbo engine in the Hyundai Sonata/Genesis, which is an entirely different engine, but it's turbo and DI, recommend synthetic over conventional if you plan on driving it like you stole it.

Many of us use conventional at conservative oci. Dealer uses conventional as well. 99% of U.S. drivers just want the oil changed and are fine with whatever their prepaid maintenance agreement supplies, never to have an oil related issue, if adhering to manufacturer intervals.

But I too struggled with this to the point of constantly flip flopping. Finally settling on PYB 3-4k mile oci.

Last edited:
I have the same motor (somewhat less tuned up) in a Fusion. I'm doing my first change tomorrow at around 3,500 miles. I'll be using Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. I'll probably start with a 6,000-6,500 mile OCI and do a UOA. After that, I'll probably follow Blackstone's recommendations, and do a UOA every third oil change or so. I'd prefer to stretch the OCIs out if possible, but I want to know the oil is holding up before I try to do that.

Having said that, Ford claims to have solved fuel dilution problems in this motor, and they recommend Motorcraft syn-blend at 7,500-10,000 mile OCIs. My guess is using a good quality synthetic oil should allow the OCIs to meet or exceed factory recommendations without issue. I'm just being careful because I plan to drive this car for a long while.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back