2013 Ford Escape ecoboost review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hertz rental.

The ecoboost is very well mannered. Trans is smooth and the AWD is seemless. Driving dynamics are good, bordering on very good.

This thing is comfortable! The leather seats really conform and feel nice. Sure this is an individual thing, but I'm not the only one who thinks this. They simply have very high quality foam and form fit nearly instantly.

The cabin is a very comfy place to be. The stereo sounds great, the electronics have all sorts of features and there is a USB plug for phone/music.

The little 2 liter turbo engine has sufficient power to pass people with authority, and is reasonably engaging to drive, kinda fun.

Now for the bad. The best I can do is 22mpg going very very easy. 12-15mpg getting on it a bit around town. The Ford "my key" has been configured by hertz and restricts top speed to 80, the radio volume won't go over 45% and the traction/stability control can't be turned off. This results in braking action during full throttle turns. Very annoying as it cuts in far too early! I don't like the "nanny state" stuff and won't rent vehicles with restrictions again. Also, the bottom of the drivers door has corrosion on the bottom seam, big time!!!! It looks to be aluminum and it has serious issues, with only 9000 miles on it. This is not good.

Of course, if this were privately owned, all of this "nanny state" stuff can be properly configured.

Overall, I give this mini SUV very high marks for driving dynamics, comfort and power. And while the mpg is not as good as the hybrid, I very much prefer the power and response of the little ecoboost.

Hmm... 22 mpg going very easy? Its a rental, and honestly it doesn't sound like you're going very easy. Lol! What are they EPA rated for?

Originally Posted By: dcf
I thought they were rated at 33 mpg highway ?

2013 2.0L models are rated the following according to fueleconomy.gov (city/combined/highway):

FWD: 22/25/30
AWD: 21/24/28

The 2.0L model is really Ford's replacement for the old V-6, and gets mileage numbers commensurate with a small V-6 (because that's the amount of power it puts out). The 1.6L model may be more appropriate to compare with other 4-cylinder SUVs:

FWD: 23/26/33
AWD: 22/25/30

After having 3 Egoboosters in the family we have concluded there is no free lunch.

Contrary to Ford's ridiculous ad I saw where they said "burn air, not fuel" the EB is a bit thirsty. Our V6 models averaged 17.5 mpg across three different platforms and widely varied drivers.

It is NOT the Second Coming, it is simply a modern well designed and built turbocharged engine. This means power, responsiveness, even decent durability. But apparently it does not mean fabulous fuel economy.

9k on the clock, and it has corrosion on the door? In Florida? I presume you rented in a northern state--although, that doesn't make sense, a rental with 9k I'm guessing hasn't seen winter yet.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
After having 3 Egoboosters in the family we have concluded there is no free lunch.

Contrary to Ford's ridiculous ad I saw where they said "burn air, not fuel" the EB is a bit thirsty. Our V6 models averaged 17.5 mpg across three different platforms and widely varied drivers.

It is NOT the Second Coming, it is simply a modern well designed and built turbocharged engine. This means power, responsiveness, even decent durability. But apparently it does not mean fabulous fuel economy.

I call it as an EPA play where they return good fuel economy under EPA cycle, but real world fuel economy suffers and is no better than traditional method of making power - more displacement.
Boo to Ford.

If you don't drive with a smooth foot, even making small adjustments all the time, gas mileage will be bad. My father and I can pull 29/30 out of it. My mother, 26 best.

Once it was 5 or 6 months old (around 9 or 10K miles), my parents escape gas mileage shot up. Was the same with my Focus.

12-15mpg?

What?

For something that small?

I can treat my full size, extended cab, large V8 powered pickup truck that way, and still get that in town.

The more that I read about these EcoBoost engines out in the REAL world, the less impressed that I am.

We have them at work in our fleet. SE's with the 1.6 ecoboost. Seems like a nice little vehicle, although the cabin is small (Focus sized front seat area) Other than that it drives well and rides pretty good too.

I am not the norm here, but I think it looks better than the outgoing model as well, I never liked the 08-12 models.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
12-15mpg?

What?

I can treat my full size, extended cab, large V8 powered pickup truck that way, and still get that in town.

The more that I read about these EcoBoost engines out in the REAL world, the less impressed that I am.

The lowest I got with city driving was 22MPG.

Small turbocharged engine in heavy vehicle => have to get into boost and fuel enrichment to make the thing go => bad fuel economy. I was hoping the direct injection would allow them to hold stoichiometric mixture well into boosted operation and and enable better fuel economy, but apparently that's not the way it has worked out. For best fuel economy, get a turbodiesel.

Or a hybrid, especially if doing lots of city.

Really can't get around the fact that it takes fuel to make hp. If it is heavy, every time you accelerate it burns fuel. The faster you go, the more it burns. Etc. I'm not convinced that a turbo automatically means lots of fuel burn. A big displacement engine takes longer to warm up, and I'm pretty sure when you honk on those it has to get rich also.

Flog anything, and it will get less mpg than if you take it gentle. And of course, someone flogging it in a Florida city is going to have different results than someone babying it in hill city. IMO it's kinda hard to put too much into one data point. As you go across the country, and the different commutes, it gets kinda hard to compare.

12-15mpg?

What?

Sure flog it and like any other engine it will use tons of gas. When I had a 2.3 Mustang it got abysmal fuel economy as it was either WOT or idle. I picked up a 2007 Cobra and it got about the same fuel economy (a bit worse in the city though).

I'm fine with my Ecoboost 3.5 - in the SHO it weighs about as much as an F150 and I can get 18-20 in town and up to 25 on the highway. Not bad for an AWD land yacht.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
I'm fine with my Ecoboost 3.5 - in the SHO it weighs about as much as an F150 and I can get 18-20 in town and up to 25 on the highway. Not bad for an AWD land yacht.

Your Taurus weighs "about as much as" 5,300 pounds? Holy cow... Land yacht indeed.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
9k on the clock, and it has corrosion on the door? In Florida? I presume you rented in a northern state--although, that doesn't make sense, a rental with 9k I'm guessing hasn't seen winter yet.

I'm I'm Cali at the moment. The door corrosion is really weird. Somebody here suggested the escape may have been driven on the beach! Could be, as the corrosion had water under the paint!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
12-15mpg?

What?

The lowest I got with city driving was 22MPG.

Please explain what you meant here:

"12-15mpg getting on it a bit around town."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back