2013 Focus vs. 2012 Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
By Beetle is dying fast. Time for a replacement. Considering a 2013 Ford Focus or a 2012 Fusion. I want a Ford for various reasons. Are there any known issues with either car? I've heard of trans. problems with the Focus. Dealer says the issue has been identified and corrected. 2.5l 4cyl in the Fusion. 2.0 in the Focus. You guys always seem to know of issues or potential problems that I can't find elsewhere. Any suggestion or anything to look out for? Fusion is 1k more expensive.

The clutch on the Focus is pretty bad. I've driven my dad's 2013 Focus a few times and its very awkward and jerky. He also had to have the clutches replaced before the vehicle even had 15,000 miles on it.

I picked up a 2013 Focus and like it so far. The 2.0 liter engine is more than adequate and the handling is superb. I got the semi-auto PowerShift six speed transmission that has gotten mixed reviews. It has the latest software installed and to me works very well if you keep in mind it is not a slushbox. It is a little rough in residential driving (though not that bad), but once out on the road the shifts are nice. I keep it in sport mode all the time which to me feels best. I only wish they would have put paddle shifters on it for manual mode instead of the lame toggle switch on the shift lever.

I truly hate the DCT in the Focus.

It is just continuously confused. I can occasionally confuse a VW DSG. Usually when I am coming to a stop at a stoplight and it turns green. The Ford would probably disintegrate.

Why not a 2012 Mazda6i? Mechanically similar. Essentially the same engine as the Fusion (will have some Denso components vs Motorcraft on the Fusion) Made in Michigan instead of Mexico. Jatco 5-spd. transmission. Not an exceptional transmission but I like it better than the 6F35.

My earlier model Mazda was starting to get to the point to where I was having to do something every weekend. I could have just driven it until it broke and probably easily would have exceeded 200,000 miles. But it bothered me. Transmission and engine were still really strong. Small oil leak on the back valve cover (of course the back bank.) Smell of coolant occasionally. Held 10psi for a long time with no drop in pressure. Never could find the leak. Probably could have used struts. Didn't want to take it apart for fear of what else I would find when I did. All stuff you would expect from a 180,000 mile car. It was a good car.

For the same money or close, the Fusion.
A safer, roomier and more comfortable car that won't use much more fuel.
Either car is unrefined as compared to the class leaders, but their values reflect that.
FWIW, any dealer will always tell you that any known problem in any model has been found and corrected.

Interesting that the Focus-bashers don't actually own one. The Focus as introduced as a 2012 model had real problems with the DCT: 1) the programming for the transmission was half-baked and 2) bad seals allowed gearbox oil to contaminate what should have remained a "dry" clutch. Add in a dealer network that was woefully unprepared to deal with a new transmission design and you had the recipe for lots of unhappy owners.

Since then, Ford has had a number of software updates, revised the clutch material and redesigned seals. Ford has also extended the warranty on the clutch, seals and DCT programming to 7 years/100,000 miles. The extended warranty applies to all owners, and as there's no scheduled maintenance on the DCT during this period, buyers of used Focuses shouldn't fret.

Those owners running current versions of hardware and software seem to have few complaints.

So, my advice is not to exclude the Focus from consideration just because of the DCT: it is truly an exceptional small car. But do test drive the heck out of the example you're considering in all conditions you're likely to encounter. Even a properly functioning DCT behaves differently than a traditional automatic and you may not like it. If it exhibits clutch chatter or gear grinding, run away. If you're buying it from a Ford dealer, insist the software be updated to the latest standard.

Also consider the 2012 Fusion is the old design, which, as a non-owner, I can say say with authority I have always found to be lacking.

THanks everyone for your information and opinions! As usual BITOG has provided useful and thoughtful material.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Interesting that the Focus-bashers don't actually own one. The Focus as introduced as a 2012 model had real problems with the DCT: 1) the programming for the transmission was half-baked and 2) bad seals allowed gearbox oil to contaminate what should have remained a "dry" clutch. Add in a dealer network that was woefully unprepared to deal with a new transmission design and you had the recipe for lots of unhappy owners.

Since then, Ford has had a number of software updates, revised the clutch material and redesigned seals. Ford has also extended the warranty on the clutch, seals and DCT programming to 7 years/100,000 miles. The extended warranty applies to all owners, and as there's no scheduled maintenance on the DCT during this period, buyers of used Focuses shouldn't fret.

Those owners running current versions of hardware and software seem to have few complaints.

The thing about this car is that you do see all the complaints, although at this point, they are a few years old. Then you see the relatively high resale value on the used ones and I'd have to assume that whatever it is was either fixed good, or maybe really not all that bad.

Had them as a rental car and my BIL has/had one. BIL is trading his because he and his wife can't stand the DCT.

My rental seemed ok, but just ok.

Maybe I'm a luddite. I'm not a fan of CVTs either.

Seems like it could be a good thing, if done well. Not sure Ford did it well at the get-go. Haven't driven one in a couple of years now, so don't know if they are any better than before.

Originally Posted By: Danh

So, my advice is not to exclude the Focus from consideration just because of the DCT: it is truly an exceptional small car. But do test drive the heck out of the example you're considering in all conditions you're likely to encounter. Even a properly functioning DCT behaves differently than a traditional automatic and you may not like it. If it exhibits clutch chatter or gear grinding, run away. If you're buying it from a Ford dealer, insist the software be updated to the latest standard.

Also consider the 2012 Fusion is the old design, which, as a non-owner, I can say say with authority I have always found to be lacking.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I took the Focus I purchased on a 45 minute test drive without the salesman. I had read the "issues" but the dealer I have purchased both my Fords from run all the computer updates. I found the transmission to work fine. Like I said it is not as smooth as a slushbox at low speed, but really not that bad. But driving out on the open road was nice. The car handles great, better than any other small car I have owned. I took it on a mini road trip the day of buying it and have enjoyed the car since.

I too wonder how many negative comments towards the transmission are either from people who don't actually own one or never got the programming update.

Either way I am sure the Fusion is a good car too. Go out and drive both and choose for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back