2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 - High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20 - 15,437 miles

Looked at different engine oil capacities. Ecoboost 2.7, 3.5. Toyota, GM V6's and several V8's all 6 quarts or less and the list goes on. Maybe Euro makers are big sumps but certainly not most domestic or Japanese.
Absolutely. My Sienna takes 6.4qt in 3.5. My in laws Honda Pilot in 3.5 takes, ahem, 4.5qt.
My 3ltr BMW takes 7.5qt :).

I'm not too concerned at this point. I'll sample it again at 20k miles to see if the TBN is holding well. If it falls on down below 2.0, then I'll change it. Looking at this though, it would be plenty safe at 15k mile intervals if I was to decide on that.
I dont get it. If you aren't racing or testing for an odd use fleet..oil analysis is expensive and OCD..mho. 10000..15000 OC ..is so little expense for a normal vehicle and driver. I think it is wise pull the dipstick every 1st Saturday..unless you suddenly get a leak under the car.

Thank you. The takeaway here is that it is generally understood that oils will thicken with age. If you formulate with VI improvers that are less stable the resulting loss from the VI improver and the slight thickening with age will cancel each other out. Yes it is less important on an xW20 than a formulation than one that has higher VI concentration. I chose to not even buy 35 SSI VI Improvers for my plant. We sell more products with a higher split. We also use Star polymers that have even better shear stability than OCP’s. It is not uncommon to see a rise in vis with our products vs a loss that you would expect to see. What Bryce has seen here is much like what Wayne saw with his sample data. Long drain, great wear trends, and little to no oil consumption. This of course perfectly checks off the list of performance we intend to bring to the table. Long drains aren’t for everyone. For those looking for extended drains, we will likely be good friends.

David
Curious, what is the starting vis for your 0w-20 oil

I dont get it. If you aren't racing or testing for an odd use fleet..oil analysis is expensive and OCD..mho. 10000..15000 OC ..is so little expense for a normal vehicle and driver. I think it is wise pull the dipstick every 1st Saturday..unless you suddenly get a leak under the car.

I'm a nerd who really likes data. That's mostly why. :)

Thank you for the vis. Where can this oil be purchased?

Back