2012 Mustang 3.7L V6 - High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20 - 15,437 miles

With 3.2 remaining TBN I would not have the confidence to run another 5000 personally. 2500 or so would be the limit for me. I assume you will run another UOA at the finish line. Should be interesting. Thanks for the data point.

I couldn’t agree more. Historically we have seen good results in vehicles with crossover while running the TBN down to 1. While I am not a fan of that it does cause you to ask the question why. There are multiple methods for TAN as well as TBN. If you have a higher acid number compared to base number you would pretty much have to assume your methods are measuring strong base and weaker acids. If the reverse were true you would then expect that you would see the opposite of what your data shows.

David
My experiences lead me to expect slight oxidative thickening to occur between now and the next UOA.

With an oil of this quality, and this robustness,
and with appropriate viscosity, I expect there to be nothing to see here.

I collected a sample of the oil from my wife's 2012 Mustang V6. The sample was extracted through the dipstick tube. This is the first run on High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20. I'll likely check again at ~20k miles.
Very nice results! Educating myself on this oil. How purchased and what's the cost?

The next oil change will perhaps be more telling. There is some dilution with the previous oil in the vehicle. There is also a chance that potential deposits in this engine may be dissolved into this oil change. We have esters in this formula like most of ours and therefore he oil will clean. The alkalinity will take a hit if this is the case. It is certainly a possibility as this TBN is lower than I would have expected.

The next oil change will perhaps be more telling. There is some dilution with the previous oil in the vehicle. There is also a chance that potential deposits in this engine may be dissolved into this oil change. We have esters in this formula like most of ours and therefore he oil will clean. The alkalinity will take a hit if this is the case. It is certainly a possibility as this TBN is lower than I would have expected.
I have read speculation that thinning from fuel dilution can mask oxidative thickening,
with extended OCIs.

Any comments you might have would be enlightening.

The 2 would definitely be opposites in terms of Viscosity. The dilution I was referring to was dilution by volume from a residual amount of the old oil. The sample could be looked at with GC to look at fuel concentration. Based on experience with our oils it would be much more likely that we are seeing results that will be bested by the next sample. When you consider a typical oil will run roughly 30 minutes on PDSC (200C at 500# oxygen) compared to ours at greater than 120 minutes is is not very likely at all that this oil is oxidized. The trend of information over time will paint a much more accurate representation than a single datapoint.

For a comparison, here's the VOA of this oil from the same gallon jug. The UOA shows 30-35% dilution. It appears this engine holds a good bit of oil over from the previous change. I'll change it at 20k miles, take another sample then, and run this oil for another 15-20k. If the numbers are the same from VOA to UOA, then that's the issue. Regardless, the oil is holding very well at 15k.

High Performance Lubricants HDEO 5w-20.jpg

I definitely think this oil could/can compete with the SS series of Amsoil. Has loads of molybdenum and reminds me of Redline HP but with a bit more duration on the tbn.

I posted the 20,000 mile report a while back.

My only concern would be that if your engine has VVT with cam phasers. They like fresh clean oil.

My only concern would be that if your engine has VVT with cam phasers. They like fresh clean oil.
I'm sure it being ester based it will stay clean much longer and clean up whatever was there prior. So long as the oil filter is top notch and air filtration is performing as it should then it might surprise us.

Ok, wrong choice of words.
6qt is nothing. VW 1.8 4cyl engine has more than 5qt sump.
Looked at different engine oil capacities. Ecoboost 2.7, 3.5. Toyota, GM V6's and several V8's all 6 quarts or less and the list goes on. Maybe Euro makers are big sumps but certainly not most domestic or Japanese.

Back