2012 Mazda 3i Skyactiv, Castrol OE 0W-20, 7k

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'm taking my chances, then. I read about the oil dilution issues in the Skyactiv-D engines in Europe. In those cases, the oil level on the dipstick was actually rising during the OCI. If my oil were being diluted I should see SOME change on the dipstick. It seems awfully convenient that it stays right where I fill it. I guess that means that the rate of consumption must be pretty darn equal to the rate of dilution. My oil has no weird smells, either. Just smells like used synthetic oil to me. I think you may be worrying over a non-issue.

I am using the fuel Mazda specifies and not losing a bit of sleep.

I think you make some assumptions about fuel dilution....

1) It occurs despite the levels on the dipstick not changing. That means nothing.
2) It takes a lot to make oil smell different
3) the fuel in the oil evaporates fairly quickly. It doesn't take much oil mixed with the fuel vapors to form deposits.

The VWs, Audis, BMW, etc. that all have the intake valve deposit issues have fuel dilution but many don't show any change in oil level or produce a strong fuel smell in the oil. You'll only know for sure with a UOA.

And don't think I'm losing any sleep over it. I know how to keep the valve deposits in check. All the other Syactiv UOAs have shown severe fuel dilution. Mine is the first that has not. I'm thrilled because it also means I don't have to worry about my car beating up the oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I guess I'm taking my chances, then. I read about the oil dilution issues in the Skyactiv-D engines in Europe. In those cases, the oil level on the dipstick was actually rising during the OCI. If my oil were being diluted I should see SOME change on the dipstick. It seems awfully convenient that it stays right where I fill it. I guess that means that the rate of consumption must be pretty darn equal to the rate of dilution. My oil has no weird smells, either. Just smells like used synthetic oil to me. I think you may be worrying over a non-issue.

I am using the fuel Mazda specifies and not losing a bit of sleep.

You are talking about oil dilution in the Diesel engine vehicles due to the DPF regen cycle causing extra diesel fuel to be injected into the combustion chamber for a period of time while the vehicle is running.

The Direct Injected Gasoline Skyativ engines do not have this same regen cycle, so there is no need for you to be concerned of rising oil levels in a Gasoline Skyactiv engine, EVER.

BC.

If Mazda varies the closed loop mixture significantly it is the first engine ever made that does so. The whole purpose of the feedback loop is to maintain efficiency and an exact mixture to feed the cats what they want. Lean burn makes too much NOX.

Under heavy throttle/open loop enrichment is a standard feature, and many mfgrs use fuel as cylinder coolant.

I would like to see a link or some real evidence that would back up your assertions, please. This (if proven) would be the first real substantive piece of the much over-hyped 'Skyactiv' technology.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I would like to see a link or some real evidence that would back up your assertions, please. This (if proven) would be the first real substantive piece of the much over-hyped 'Skyactiv' technology.

Honda has done "lean burn mode" for at least a decade if not 2.

My UOA is the only evidence so far for Mazda, other than its engineers saying they purposely use rich a/f ratio to reduce temps and prevent knocking on 87 octane.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Honda has done "lean burn mode" for at least a decade if not 2.

My UOA is the only evidence so far for Mazda, other than its engineers saying they purposely use rich a/f ratio to reduce temps and prevent knocking on 87 octane.

But knock will only affect timing, not A/F. Your engine will know it is not knocking and add more timing on higher octane fuel, but it isn't going to run any leaner than it was originally programmed to run. These are separate things.

And "lean burn" isn't new, or exclusive to Honda. Ford's old EEC-IV ran lean on light throttle too (quite a bit leaner than stoich) and this is par for the course with an EFI engine. However, you add load, and the ECM will enrich the mixture to compensate for said load and when you go WOT, it will richen the mixture further. This lowers cylinder temps, increases power output and wards off detonation. All standard practices here.

All the other Syactiv UOAs have shown severe fuel dilution. Mine is the first that has not. I'm thrilled because it also means I don't have to worry about my car beating up the oil.

Fuel dilution can (and often is) flashed off when the vehicle is driven at reasonable oil temperatures for a while. Did you see my winter M5 UOA and the amount of fuel in it? LOL!
smile.gif

So it is very possible for an engine to dilute under a given operating protocol, and when that protocol changes, the fuel can be flashed off. Which still means the fuel had the potential to affect the lubricant in service, even if that fuel doesn't show up in a UOA
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

So it is very possible for an engine to dilute under a given operating protocol, and when that protocol changes, the fuel can be flashed off. Which still means the fuel had the potential to affect the lubricant in service, even if that fuel doesn't show up in a UOA
wink.gif

Exactly, which is why it is always better to bring the oil up to temperature every time the engine is started so that any fuel that makes it's way past the rings has less chance of degrading the oil.
Running mostly short trips in the winter and once per week or even longer going for a long run will flash off any fuel still hanging around but the oil may have already been permanently diluted and otherwise chemically altered reducing it's lubricity.

But knock will only affect timing, not A/F. Your engine will know it is not knocking and add more timing on higher octane fuel, but it isn't going to run any leaner than it was originally programmed to run. These are separate things.

For about the 100th time. Knock can also be controlled through A/F ratio. Mazda runs rich (as per their engineers) purposely to lower octane requirements. They inject fuel twice for each ignition. They intentionally run rich to CONTROL KNOCK and prevent detonation. The extra fuel absorbs more heat and lowers combustion chamber temperatures. This allows them to run high compression on 87 octane gas. They also have regular timing control.

Mazda isn't the only one that does this. I think most of the euro companies do the same thing.

As for fuel not showing up in my UOA vs others, other skactiv UOAs have been done after highway trips it seemed by their descriptions yet still had severe fuel dilution, not just mild dilution. My sample was pulled after a 15min drive on a cold start. I don't do as much highway as some of the others that have been posted. Mine is about 50/50.

Last edited:
Do you think one could compromise and use mid-grade (89 octane here)? Last time I tried a tank of premium it appeared that fuel economy rose by 1 mpg. The second time I used it fuel economy dropped by the same amount. But, outside temps were quite a bit warmer on the second tank and the A/C was running a lot more.

I sure would like to see fuel dilution numbers on YOUR car for regular v. premium and not your premium numbers v. others' regular numbers.

Do you think one could compromise and use mid-grade (89 octane here)? Last time I tried a tank of premium it appeared that fuel economy rose by 1 mpg. The second time I used it fuel economy dropped by the same amount. But, outside temps were quite a bit warmer on the second tank and the A/C was running a lot more.

I sure would like to see fuel dilution numbers on YOUR car for regular v. premium and not your premium numbers v. others' regular numbers.

89 might be enough. Everyone's situation is different. If you really want to know for sure, get a scanguage and get all the information in real time. I cannot afford one so I am trying to verify things through other means.

I will not be running 87 in my car ever again. If someone likes my results compared to others running 87, they can try what I do (91+ octane). There are enough people running 87 octane, I would think if it isn't the gas making the difference for me, we'll see some similar results from someone running 87 octane at some point. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy my MPGs and start extending my OCIs. I'm going to do one 7,500 mile OCI on this PP 0W-20 and then probably to 10k OCIs.

I don't know. Something just strikes me as very wrong if the stated octane requirement would result in issues like this. I guess it wouldn't be a first for a car manufacturer, though.

Perhaps I will have to break down and pull that UOA sample after all.

For about the 100th time. Knock can also be controlled through A/F ratio. Mazda runs rich (as per their engineers) purposely to lower octane requirements. They inject fuel twice for each ignition. They intentionally run rich to CONTROL KNOCK and prevent detonation. The extra fuel absorbs more heat and lowers combustion chamber temperatures. This allows them to run high compression on 87 octane gas. They also have regular timing control.

Well Mr. "For the 100th time" I guess you missed this line of my post:

Quote:
However, you add load, and the ECM will enrich the mixture to compensate for said load and when you go WOT, it will richen the mixture further. This lowers cylinder temps, increases power output and wards off detonation. All standard practices here.

Quote:
Mazda isn't the only one that does this. I think most of the euro companies do the same thing.

Adding fuel to ward off detonation is built into the base load table of pretty much any ECM. There is an ignition timing table to go along with it. The ignition timing table is altered by data gleaned from the knock sensor. The A/F target table is manipulated during closed loop by feedback from the O2 sensors. Whatever A/F the engineers shot for at a given load/engine temp/air temp, the ECM will try to obtain, and will modify the amount of fuel added to meet those numbers.

In addition to this, ignition timing will be added/removed based on knock-sensor feedback relative to its base-table values. You then have these multiple tables running in parallel, the base tables, which are referenced for conditions not met/experienced in the learned/feedback table and the modified ECM-created table(s) that reflect information learned through feedback/CL operation from which it pulls values for parameters that it populated in that table during CL/feedback operation. These tables are always in flux as they represent whatever combination of parameters for a given throttle angle, load %, ACT, ECT and timing position met the targets of a proper AF related to the desired value programmed in the base table and no knock relative to feedback from the knock sensor relative to the values in the timing table.

When you run higher octane fuel, the A/F stays the same. The ECM doesn't know you put 93 octane in the tank and that it could subsequently run leaner without inducing knock. The opposite of which appears to be the argument you are making here, is it not? (this is based on this quote by you:)

I honestly think the reason for low fuel dilution is using exclusively premium gasoline. This engine is designed to enrich the A/F ratio to cool the combustion chamber and prevent knocking. I think the premium allows the ECU to lean out the ratio.

What a conventional feedback based system WILL do is add more ignition timing based on knock-sensor feedback. O2 sensor feedback remains the same regardless of the octane of gasoline used.

My impression is that your premise here is that the engine uses the knock sensor to manipulate A/F in conjunction with timing as some sort of ultra-intelligent feedback mechanism and that is "knows" you have higher octane fuel in the tank based on that feedback and is subsequently running leaner than "designed" because of this. And this in turn is what is lowering your fuel dilution numbers, correct? This would of course mean that the base table for A/F is relative and range based rather than static in regards target ratios and that instead of the ECM attempting to achieve a target A/F for a given operating condition in CL operation, it instead attempts to control knock within a given range of acceptable A/F values by manipulating fuel in addition to ignition timing. This would mean there is no single "target". That "as lean as possible" with "as much timing as possible" is the ECM's goal and that it shoots for both of those things constantly with nothing more than a ceiling and basement in place for its ranges.

If so, this is very easy to verify. Your car would HAVE to have wide-band oxygen sensors for this system to work. If that is the case, then a decent scan tool should be able to access the oxygen sensor information. I've done this in my sister's 330i, which has wideband O2's in case you were wondering, and I've graphed its feedback with my Auto Enginuity software.

You simply need to log the A/F for the same operating conditions on 93 and 87 octane gasoline. If the system is of the traditional feedback type, the O2 sensor graphs for both types of fuel will pretty much mirror each other. If, on the other hand, the system operates as you think it does, it should be significantly leaner on the 93 octane fuel than it is on the 87.

Do you have a scan tool?

89 might be enough. Everyone's situation is different. If you really want to know for sure, get a scanguage and get all the information in real time. I cannot afford one so I am trying to verify things through other means.

I will not be running 87 in my car ever again. If someone likes my results compared to others running 87, they can try what I do (91+ octane). There are enough people running 87 octane, I would think if it isn't the gas making the difference for me, we'll see some similar results from someone running 87 octane at some point. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy my MPGs and start extending my OCIs. I'm going to do one 7,500 mile OCI on this PP 0W-20 and then probably to 10k OCIs.

Unfortunately a UOA simply does not provide enough accurate data to verify what you are potentially claiming is happening here. And I use the term "potentially" because I hadn't given you adequate time to reply to my post that proceeds this one when I composed this.

However, as I noted in that post, what you are claiming IS verifiable. The test I indicated would need to be run on the same car with load, throttle angle, ACT and ECT's logged and the O2's being graphed. It is quite simple to prove or disprove. We just need the data.

I have a scan tool. It's not an expensive one, but on the Mazda3 I cannot read O2 sensor voltages, though, I can read them on my GF's 2003 Highlander and my daughter's 1999 Infiniti I30. I guess my device doesn't totally speak Mazda's ODBII language? I can see a lot of other data, but not the sensor voltages. My tool is an Autel MaxiScan MS509.

I have a scan tool. It's not an expensive one, but on the Mazda3 I cannot read O2 sensor voltages, though, I can read them on my GF's 2003 Highlander and my daughter's 1999 Infiniti I30. I guess my device doesn't totally speak Mazda's ODBII language? I can see a lot of other data, but not the sensor voltages. My tool is an Autel MaxiScan MS509.

Mazda may be like BMW and only expose enough of the ECM to comply with the OBDII requirements. You'd need something (like AutoEnginuity) with an actual Mazda package to give you the higher level information required to test badtlc's theory.

The skyactiv engine runs rich in "closed" loop mode to cool temps in order to prevent knock while running lower octane during higher compression. Running a higher octane doesn't require the combustion chamber to be cooled as much to prevent detonation or knocking.

So the skyactive engine doesn't run stoich in closed loop, seems like that would defeat the efficiency gains of the high compression. That doesn't sound right.

Unfortunately a UOA simply does not provide enough accurate data to verify what you are potentially claiming is happening here. And I use the term "potentially" because I hadn't given you adequate time to reply to my post that proceeds this one when I composed this.

However, as I noted in that post, what you are claiming IS verifiable. The test I indicated would need to be run on the same car with load, throttle angle, ACT and ECT's logged and the O2's being graphed. It is quite simple to prove or disprove. We just need the data.

Of course it isn't the most accurate. I think I quite clearly said it wasn't, unless you still can't read.

Speaking of can't read, I can't read your previous post. Too long and you make assumptions based on previous designs w/out considering Mazda might be different.

If you can't admit that the premium fuel is doing SOMETHING, then you have obviously made up your mind on the subject and should really just stay out of this thread, please. If you think something else is improving my results, provide that.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The skyactiv engine runs rich in "closed" loop mode to cool temps in order to prevent knock while running lower octane during higher compression. Running a higher octane doesn't require the combustion chamber to be cooled as much to prevent detonation or knocking.

So the skyactive engine doesn't run stoich in closed loop, seems like that would defeat the efficiency gains of the high compression. That doesn't sound right.

Unless something has changed recently, very few, if any cars run stoich from what I understand. That is around 12.6:1 and EPA has set the lower limit to around 14.7:1 for emissions from what I can figure out. Is there something about current fuel that raises the stoichiometric ratio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back