2012 Hyundai Accent oil recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I purchased a new 2012 Accent. Very happy with the car, barely has 85 miles on it. Drove it around this weekend. I wanted to get everyones opinion on my oil change when 3750 rolls around.

3750 will actually come by pretty fast for the car since it will be used for commute 7/365. Wife works during week, I work weekends. I estimate the car will be driven AT LEAST 600 miles/month and city/freeway usage will be about 30/70. Car is being driven strictly in the SF bay area commute.

I am under the assumption that it has stock QS currently in it. Dilemma is this, I am stocked up on Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 (I have about 50 liters I got on sale) that I put in my other car. But does anyone recommend against this switch?

I have never owned a sub compact before and I know the information and first impressions out there are very fresh still, but I wanted to get opinions as its likely there will be others with similar questions.

Thanks

Last edited:
D'oh, knew I forgot something.

It calls for 5w-20, 5w-30, or 10w-30

The PU 10W-30 will work fine for you.

Why are you talking about changes at 3750? Is that the severe OC suggestion from Hyundai? I'm thinking 70% freeway use would not be considered severe, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you still have the Ram pickup?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

The PU 10W-30 will work fine for you.

Why are you talking about changes at 3750? Is that the severe OC suggestion from Hyundai? I'm thinking 70% freeway use would not be considered severe, but maybe I'm wrong.

Do you still have the Ram pickup?

Dealership folk are being nice and offer free oil change and full tank of gas when I reach 3750 miles on it. Severe OC suggestion, is in fact every 3750 miles according to the manual. I don't think my usage would be considered severe, either. Again the dealership is just being nice to me. They were very forward in telling me that the company demands that all customer surveys be 10s across the board in everything. I am guessing they get higher commission and more hours for top marks in surveys or some kind of bonus to whoever at the end of the month/year.

Yes, I still have the pickup. However, it will be sold soon. Its a pretty rare truck I hear, and my in-laws having been asking for first dibs on it since forever. Its still kicking, but dire need for a tuneup.

Originally Posted By: PaulC
Dealership folk are being nice and offer free oil change and full tank of gas when I reach 3750 miles on it.

OK, I see. In that case, I'd just let them put their oil in at 3750 and start using the PU after that using a 5-7k schedule.

Read the manual a little closer. What exactly does it call for? API SM? SN? ILSAC? Is there a temperature vs viscosity chart?

DO you have receipts for all the oil? Especially if not, Id buy the filters from the dealer each time to have a record of the purchase/service.

I dont see an issue with 10w-30 so long as the OM is OK with it. Seems to me it is pretty mild year round in SF.

I would op for a 5w30 if it were mine. Like others have said, exchange some 10w30 for 5w30 IF you can. 10w30 will not hurt but, 5w30 would be a better option since a 5w20 is also listed. You didn't say what the "prefered" oil weight is. Another reason, I don't keep a big stash of oil as engine requirements change as to grade and chemistry. Ed

We have owned/own 5 Hyundai/KIA vehicles and have used 5W20 synthetic. We live a few miles from the Florida line and experience long hot summer months here.

Lots of short trips which = severe driving and we change according to the owners manual for severe service.

I would try and sell or exchange some of the oil you have. Too, recommend that you use the factory OEM filters.

10w-30 is fine, but 5w-20 would be my personal preference. it seems like the way to go for econoboxes. You'll get better MPG with 5w-20. SF can be cold on random days...I prefer better startup.

Originally Posted By: poiuy223
10w-30 is fine, but 5w-20 would be my personal preference. it seems like the way to go for econoboxes. You'll get better MPG with 5w-20. SF can be cold on random days...I prefer better startup.

I agree, even though the 10w30 will *probably* work just fine in that climate, I think that 5w20 is the better choice. It will give better MPG (probably only 0.5 to 1, but every little bit counts in the long run)

We have 2 2009 Accents. A but dull, but absolutely the most reliable cars we have ever had. My wife has 15K on hers, I have 34K on mine.

Stick with 5W20. I prefer Pennzoil Ultra (when I can find it) or Pennzoil Platinum. Also, sticking with the 3750 mile/3 month OCI may be best: Hyundai has a bad reputation when it comes to honoring warranty claims. Fortunately, we have had none, just routine maintenance.

Also, some may say that putting synthetic oil in such an inexpensive car is stupid. Maybe, but originally I had hoped to drive mine for 200,000 miles. Now, I am thinking 300,000- or beating my '89 BMW by 50,000 miles. If you trade often, then synthetic is a waste.

Lots of good opinions here, I like it.

For all who are telling me about my oil/receipts, etc.
I bought it all months ago last year when I switched my truck to synthetic. I still have my truck for right now and still use it. I could go exchange some of it, sure. I am thinking of going with 5w-20 PU, I just wanted to see what peeps here thought about the 10w-30 option.

There is a visocity chart, perhaps you guys would like a scan of it?
While I am there, is anyone curious about anything else in the owners manual?

I will get back to you guys tomorrow.

If you can, perhaps you should think of using PP. I highly doubt that your new Accent would be hard on oil so using PU may not be "necessary". PP would do just as well--you'll probably notice no difference. There are other inexpensive syns that you can opt for, but I say PP so that at least we're sticking to Pennzoil as a brand. The small savings (which may not be a big deal to you) can add up to buy you more quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back