2012 Grand Cherokee SRT-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You talk like it is some kind of dog. You have to spend 80g to beat it.

Nope, a $30k base model Mustang GT will do it
grin2.gif
. But you're right, no other SUV can touch it for the price.

Hello? Pick something AWD, or at least relevant.

It's very far from that stang.

Why does it have to be AWD Steve? You aren't going far off-road with those wheels and tires and I bet you can't fit anything remotely off-roady with those brakes anyway.
wink.gif

AWD is not about off road, it's about more control on road. You have instant traction off line and handling is even better in many instances.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
AWD is not about off road, it's about more control on road. You have instant traction off line and handling is even better in many instances.

I'm quite sure the RWD Mustang would have the AWD Jeep within the first hundred or so feet, regardless. I'm aware of the potential advantages with AWD but I'm also quite sure a Mustang would smoke the Jeep. But, as Steve pointed out, it's still not a fair comparison.

The only reason I made my point was because Steve said nothing under $80k would beat it and clearly there are faster vehicles out there for less money. Just not faster SUV's, which I think was Steves point.

I'm not sure I see the value of AWD in the handling department, either.

Owning a sporty-ish SUV-ish vehicle, I can say that AWD seems more useful in it than in a regular car. The reality is that there is too much compromise to make an SUV handle as well as a car with a lower CG, but AWD does help keep them in line and it does help pull them out of corners. The added weight of the AWD system is low in the chassis (at least). You end up with a very stiff, non-compliant suspension which combined with low profile tires is not great for traction.

Regardless of how sporty an SUV or CUV may be, you don't want to be hanging the rear end out too far. You may end up on your side, the AWD systems really help out in this regard without limiting the power as much as a traction control only solution would.

That being said, if you have to drive an SUV, it might as well be able to outhandle your average car - even if it rides like a brick.

On the original topic, most of the chargers/challengers and many of the Grand Cherokees that are not rentals that I see are either R/T's or SRT's. They are certainly the ones that I notice anyway.

Originally Posted By: cchase
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

I'm quite sure the RWD Mustang would have the AWD Jeep within the first hundred or so feet, regardless. I'm aware of the potential advantages with AWD but I'm also quite sure a Mustang would smoke the Jeep. But, as Steve pointed out, it's still not a fair comparison.

The only reason I made my point was because Steve said nothing under $80k would beat it and clearly there are faster vehicles out there for less money. Just not faster SUV's, which I think was Steves point.

I'm not sure I see the value of AWD in the handling department, either.

I was not debating your Mustang point. I was just emphasizing the AWD benefit overall. As for handling, AWD does help a lot. Look at those WRX's on the track...better 4 wheels pulling you thru than sliding out with 2. I know that's extreme, but still the AWD has it's advantages.

It's advantages are legion, but it also has its negatives.

In the first generation SRT8 models the Jeep gets almost 3 car lengths out of the hole in a standing start, but at 90-100 the Magnum/Charger/300C blazes past like they're standing still.

So for stoplight to stoplight it's pretty hard to beat. I like it best in bad weather. With the proper tires an awd can be very entertaining in snow/wet.

Comparing the Jeep to anything outside of its category is ludicrous. Why not put it up against a supercharged Corvette instead of a Mustang....or an Enzo, a Maserati?? Get real here friend. For what it is nothing can touch it WITHIN THE CATEGORY. Comparing apples to ironing boards makes no sense whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back