ConsumerGuide Automotive test drive : '22 JEEP Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4Xe

70k, dont make me laugh.
It is pretty nicely optioned (whether you like those options or not is a different matter) even in absolute base spec. Heated leather seats and steering wheel, 4x4, BSM, lane keep assist, adaptive cruise, home link garage door opener, steering wheel audio controls, 506w stereo with 9 speakers+sub, and panoramic sunroof among others for $62k. Add that to pretty much any other crossover that’s not a PHEV and you’re at ~$50k easily.

The 4Xe Wranglers are pretty expensive as well. I like my Wrangler as a fun second vehicle, but I'd have a hard time dropping $60k on one. I saw the 392 Wrangler on the showroom floor and it was $80k.
OK-what would you consider in that price range? OR-would you even shop that price range? Personally-I would try to avoid spending that much. I just bought a 26,000 mile-two year old F150 Lariat for that very reason. A new one was in excess of $60,000.00-and I could have afford it-but didn't want to.

OK-what would you consider in that price range? OR-would you even shop that price range? Personally-I would try to avoid spending that much. I just bought a 26,000 mile-two year old F150 Lariat for that very reason. A new one was in excess of $60,000.00-and I could have afford it-but didn't want to.
I think part of the issue I have is that living in a climate with harsh salty winters, even $90k pickup trucks become piles of rust after 10 years, essentially depreciating faster than a $40k pickup truck after 10 years. So with that in mind a decent used vehicle will always win, especially with a clean frame from the south.

With that said, I'd say $60k would be a good price for a loaded mid-level luxury SUV, or top of the line trim pickup. Instead the base models are $60k. When my father was looking to replace his Grand Cherokee, they had new models with the 3.6L and fairly bare bones options wise considering the other trims for $65k. I love my Wrangler, but even the new ones are a harsh ride, and feel cheaply made for $60k.

I'm sure what it comes down to is being spoiled in the past with quality for the price, and prices being higher now because of all the incorporated tech.

Reactions: CKN
Back