2011 Mustang GT 5.0: First change

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think there is the slightest possibility you will be doing 10K oil changes then I would start using PP 5W-20 right now. The Motorcraft blend is a good oil but I would not attempt to push it that far. Actually 5K would be my max on the Motorcraft blend.

And as someone else said, what a great car. If you have time please post a picture for us.

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
5w20 will last 50% longer than 5w30 and 8 qts will last 75% longer than 5

1) Why would 5w20 last 50% longer than 5w30? Is there scientific proof?

Great point! I caught that, too. There is NO scientific proof required whatsoever when THIN oils are discussed here. Thin is always the "greatest thing ever" in every application, and THIN validates the advanced intelligence and enlightenment of whoever hypes it.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If you think there is the slightest possibility you will be doing 10K oil changes then I would start using PP 5W-20 right now. The Motorcraft blend is a good oil but I would not attempt to push it that far. Actually 5K would be my max on the Motorcraft blend.

And as someone else said, what a great car. If you have time please post a picture for us.

I would tend have similar thoughts, however the 5.0 has an 8 quart sump. That is a lot of oil and I'd honestly look at a 7500 mile run even on the MC blend, then get a UOA to see if it could handle more. I would have to believe, given Ford's track record of product development that if they feel the default for their monitor is 10k/1 year that with the sump capacity and MC blend oil it can do that run.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: rjacket
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
5w20 will last 50% longer than 5w30 and 8 qts will last 75% longer than 5

1) Why would 5w20 last 50% longer than 5w30? Is there scientific proof?

Great point! I caught that, too. There is NO scientific proof required whatsoever when THIN oils are discussed here. Thin is always the "greatest thing ever" in every application, and THIN validates the advanced intelligence and enlightenment of whoever hypes it.
crazy2.gif

I pulled that 50% number out of the air
wink.gif
Reasoning: 5w-30 is NOT a stable oil (worse than 10w-40) and 5w-20 should be VERY stable afa shearing out of grade and sludging and varnishing since 5w-30 conventional is a light base that is LOADED with polymeric viscosity improvers, and the 20 should not be as compromised given its lighter "running" viscosity. Now detergency and TBN retention is another matter - I am in the "moderate detergency and moderate OCi" camp rather than High detergency long oci when using ILSAC GF$ low/mid saps oils. I am not a "thinner is better" guy - but I concede that Ford has a VERY good handle on the "thin oil thing" where the Asians Mfgs seemingly tend to back-spec current engines and then cross their fingers - given how noisy some of the first back specd engines ran. I feel thay will catch up though.

Originally Posted By: pavelow
That 5.0 is a nice engine....read all about it in MMFF. With sticky tires, it yanked the front wheel of the ground and ran low 12s. Anyways, I personally wouldn't let that oil go 10K....5K is where I'd pull the plug.

I read the same article; the car is a monster. What a great track toy it would make.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Maybe the rear end is undersized on the new Mustangs, and the heavier gear oil is therefore required.

It's still an 8.8, right?

But even given how strong/reliable that ring & pinion is (I wish it came from the factory on my ride!!), these new Coyotes driven/launched hard on sticky tires certainly seem more than capable of shearing some teeth off, or grenading the diff.
wink.gif

To the OP: I see you live in AL, were you and your car at the Hot Rod Power Tour when it went thru B-ham and Mobile? seems I remember seeing a 2011 in the BLUE color thursday or friday?? Awesome car.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Strange thing is the 9.75" in my Truck with Towing Package only requires 75W-90 Synthetic.

Does it have a Dana in the back by chance? They have a special fluid for them as opposed to the Sterling/Van Dyke rear ends like the 8.8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back