2011 Mustang GT 5.0: First change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I dropped the factory fill engine oil and rear differential lube in the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with 1062.5 miles.

The oil was run through a fine stainless mesh into a clean pan that caught absolutely nothing. I ran it back through a white cloth and all that I got was some very fine gray "powder" that might have been from the ring seating.

The differential lube was essentially the same other than the fact that most of the gray powder was on the the magnetic plug.

The Factory FOMOCO Filter appeared to be a Champion PH500 although Im not certain its internally the same. The replacement Motorcraft FL500S comes with an 8-psi Bypass Spring and Im thinking the standard PH500 uses a heavier spring. The FOMOCO Filter is a little longer than the FL500S.

I refilled with Motorcraft 5W-20 SB and used the MC FL500S Filter. It took exactly 8 Qt (Engine appears to fully drain) and the Filter mounts on a 45-Degree Angle. I pre-filled as much as I could without it running out while installing. I did not get any indication of low oil pressure on restart. The inlet is directly over the timing chain tunnel so the oil goes directly to the pan without having to drain through the head. Pulled the dipstick and allowed 5 minutes for dipstick tube to drain to make sure I got a clean reading.

PS After seeing this oil and rear diff lube I think Im finally ready to leave the early change camp.

Last edited:
Things sure have changed in this department!
You certainly should have left the differential oil in longer.
The engine oil was still good, too.
But, no harm no foul.

BTW what did you use for the rear end sauce?

I used 2 Qt of the Motorcraft 75W-140 Synthetic + 2 oz of Motorcraft XL-3 Friction Modifier.

I always start with 2 oz (Instead of recommended 4 oz) of Friction Modifier and increase if it chatters in corners any.
Less modifier increases the bite of the clutches.

Both the engine and the rear diff had the cleanest fluids I have ever seen after break-in.

Last edited:
I'm envious. I'd love to have a 5.0 for my HPDE instructor car...
thumbsup2.gif

Semes a bit early to dump 2 gallons of oil in a passenger car, but I get antsy around 1.5-2k myself on FF. 5w20 will last 50% longer than 5w30 and 8 qts will last 75% longer than 5 so you have a LONG OCI capability. What's the manufacturers' rec OCI non-severe service?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
That diff needs SAE 140?!!!!

You say that as if it were unusual.
grin2.gif

Both my Cherokees recommend 75W140 synthetic in the rear differential for severe usage. In fact most rear-drive vehicles I've seen recommend it. A Coyote-powered Mustang is definitely going to qualify for "severe usage," at least it would if it were mine
grin2.gif

To the original poster- I'm on your side as far as getting break-in fluids out as soon as possible. Even if you can't see it, there's a lot of fine junk in there that doesn't do anything any good- as you proved by seeing the fine gray powder when you ran the engine oil through a cloth. Can you leave the factory fill in and still have a 300k mile engine life? Sure, it happens. But why risk it.

I cant see the diff getting hot enough on a street car to need 140. Seems like a power killer only. Circle track or Road course - yes, but Street ? The heavy vis provids NO addition shock protection for "drag style" starts - all that's in the additives. Id have SAE 90 in there in the summer and 75w-90 in the winter - if ford allows ... .

Last edited:
Semes a bit early to dump 2 gallons of oil in a passenger car, but I get antsy around 1.5-2k myself on FF. 5w20 will last 50% longer than 5w30 and 8 qts will last 75% longer than 5 so you have a LONG OCI capability. What's the manufacturers' rec OCI non-severe service?

Most new 2011 Fords (Including the 5.0) have a new Intelligent Oil Life Monitor that uses an algorithm similar to GM. Maximum is 10,000 miles or 1 year with any SM/GF4 Rated 5W-20.

I didnt reset the IOLM since I didnt plan on going full interval on the next change. Its currently showing 94% Oil Life Remaining at around 1100 miles and 49 days since its build date. Im guessing the Algorithm only defaults to the 10,000 mile / 12 month maximum when it gets near their.

Im really suprised since I have beat on it a little but its still averaged 22 mpg on E10 Gasoline over the first 4 tanks at around 80% City and 20% Highway (Thats Miles/Gallons. The Info Center Reads 7% Low).

I cant see the diff getting hot enough on a street car to need 140. Seems like a power killer only. Circle track or Road course - yes, but Street ? The heavy vis provids NO addition shock protection for "drag style" starts - all that's in the additives. Id have SAE 90 in there in the summer and 75w-90 in the winter - if ford allows ... .

Factory requirement for the 8.8" in the Mustang is 75W-140 Synthetic.

Strange thing is the 9.75" in my Truck with Towing Package only requires 75W-90 Synthetic.

I guess you know more than the oil companies and Ford as a heavy grade is recommended for shock loading. I bet Mustang owners do shock load the rear ends. Saves on warranty claims I would.

5w20 will last 50% longer than 5w30 and 8 qts will last 75% longer than 5

1) Why would 5w20 last 50% longer than 5w30? Is there scientific proof?

2) In the same engine 8qts might last longer than 5qts, but doesn't a 5l need 8qts compared to a 2.5l needing 5qts? It doesn't mean he can go 75% longer than normal because he has 8qts.

Nice ride. I'd have full confidence with MC 5w20, especially once the GF-5 version of is out. Ford really worked closely with CP on their oil and durability of it. They are very satisfied with it and the chemist is really good.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Are the Mustangs as nice as the reviews say? I have always liked
Mustangs.

I really like mine. The 2010 was a considerable upgrade in interior quality and the 2011 took car of the drivetrain. The suspension is unbelievable for a solid axle car. The standard suspension on the 5.0L was stolen from last years Track Pack.

Originally Posted By: buster
Nice ride. I'd have full confidence with MC 5w20, especially once the GF-5 version of is out. Ford really worked closely with CP on their oil and durability of it. They are very satisfied with it and the chemist is really good.

Thanks Im really enjoying it. I am pretty confident in it as well. The indications Im getting from the IOLM make me think the oil has some reserve for making 10,000 miles with my current driving habits.

So far Im thinking I will end up staying with MC Blend vs PP.
I was going to switch if i felt the MC was being pushed.
I can always run a Analysis to confirm.

I hope you're going to post pics somewhere! Awesome car. If I had to replace my car for any reason at this point, the new Mustang would be at the very top of the list!

I love my 06GT and I'm kind of attached to it, but if I was replacing it the new GT would be my choice. The most amazing thing is that yours will probably get better mileage than mine, even with all the extra power. I use PP 5W20 in mine.

That 5.0 is a nice engine....read all about it in MMFF. With sticky tires, it yanked the front wheel of the ground and ran low 12s. Anyways, I personally wouldn't let that oil go 10K....5K is where I'd pull the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back