2011 Mercedes GL550

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, I'm sure most recall this thread about the X5 M?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...637#Post2527637

Well, dad was into it, but mom wasn't
frown.gif

My parents are now down here for the summer, we don't have a local BMW dealer (not that it matters, mom has shot down that idea), but we DO have a Mercedes dealer.

Mom wants to ONLY shop Ford (and you guys wonder where I get it from.... LOL!) whereas my dad is wanting to consider the German marques. Being that it is his money, I find it funny that mom's opinion steers the show but I digress.

Anyway, dad and I went SUV/CUV shopping today. The plan is to trade in his '03 Townie, as they want to keep the Expedition. Mileage is higher on the Expedition (238,000Km), it is older (2000) and so it makes less sense to trade it. It is also more valuable for them in terms of functionality due to the 4x4, 8,000lb towing capacity....etc. They will use it to continue towing trailers back and forth, whilst the new vehicle will be parked in the garage in Ontario, used when they are here.

We first visited Ford and looked at the MKX. It was nice, but doesn't have the towing capability dad was hoping for (towing a boat for instance, the max is 3,500lbs) and dad isn't keen on the idea of a V6. I will note that the Expedition/Navigator siblings are off the list because they are too tall. They won't fit in the garage here, and that is an issue with their current Expedition. The MKX in a configuration dad would consider purchasing was $56,000.

We then took a tour down to Mercedes and looked at the GL350 (Diesel) and GL550 siblings. The Diesel and V8 power options were much more up dad's alley, as was the 7,500lb towing capacity.

They had a 2011 GL550 for $65,000 with 13,000Km on it, which we are going to go back and test drive this week. The challenge is going to be getting mom to consider it (that will be a chore, she was already telling us it was too small when I showed her the pictures, even though it is bigger than the MKX......) but we are optimistic that once she's sat in it and perhaps driven it, that she'll like it. She stated that she wanted a powerful V8.... This delivers, with 382HP and 391lb-ft between 2,800-4,800RPM! And it has plenty of room, another one of her criteria and this is part of why she is so fond of the Expedition they have currently.

Complete tech spec's here:

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/content/cana...nical_data.html

The one we are looking at:
http://www.mercedesbenzpeterborough.com/...41abf27208f.htm

00d64f319a7638f97a981d1bd787f021x.jpg

So this of course begs the question as to who here has experience with these and is there anything that my parents need to know about them? Problem spots?

Thanks in advance!

-Chris

Sorry, no input on the GLs, but your Mercedes dealer is interesting. It looks like someone's house with a Mercedes sign and a bunch of Sprinters parked out front.

Where is Felix Sabates for your exceptional Mercedes Benz experience?
Felix%20Sabates%20309*280.jpg

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Sorry, no input on the GLs, but your Mercedes dealer is interesting. It looks like someone's house with a Mercedes sign and a bunch of Sprinters parked out front.

LOL, that's the building NEXT to the Mercedes dealer
smile.gif

(And I have no idea what the deal with the sprinters is....)

Here's the dealer:
c101f865e063e6aad0749796472e19f5x.jpg

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

LOL, that's the building NEXT to the Mercedes dealer
smile.gif

(And I have no idea what the deal with the sprinters is....)

Here's the dealer:
c101f865e063e6aad0749796472e19f5x.jpg

I guess Canada isn't that exotic then. I thought you guys were selling Benzes out of your driveways for a minute there.
grin.gif

I think your mom will come around to a slightly smaller vehicle once she drives one. Not quite the same case, but my mom really didn't like anything smaller than a midsize sedan until she drove a Mazda 3. She was looking at the 6 because it was a familiar, comfortable size, but once she drove the 3 she was sold on it.

The early MLs had some quality issues initially, but that was 14 years ago. Alabama has been cranking out some top notch cars for years now and not just Benzes.

I too have no suggestions. However, you live in Ontario and your parents came DOWN for the summer? Where do your parents live? What's their idea of winter living?

They are OK, I know a lot of people with ML's who like them.

I personally like G wagons more, they are better built than ML's.

If your mom wants bigger a GL would be the next size up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I too have no suggestions. However, you live in Ontario and your parents came DOWN for the summer? Where do your parents live? What's their idea of winter living?

The east coast.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I was going to say, isn't that am ML?

Always wanted a diesel one.

I don't think my mom will go for a diesel
frown.gif

Dad thought it was great (especially the fuel mileage!) but I don't think we could get my mom to even consider it.

ML's were known for teething issues the first few years, I'm pretty sure they are all worked out.

One heck of a nice example of a sweet driving SUV in smaller proportions. Nice muscular V8 too!

Quote:

Being that it is his money, I find it funny that mom's opinion steers the show

Words fail me! Overkill can not really be saying that. I know he is married.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Quote:

Being that it is his money, I find it funny that mom's opinion steers the show

Words fail me! Overkill can not really be saying that. I know he is married.

Fair enough, LMAO!!!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
now the diesel part...

OK, sell wasn't as tough as I thought.

We take out a diesel one tomorrow. The 30Mpg highway/20 city made it pretty appealing.

It will be interesting to hear the difference in interior noise with the diesel. I guess if anyone can make it near silent, it should be MB!
I find diesels are all over the place in terms of noise, even the same motor in the same truck. Some I would pay a premium not to listen to that all day and some are quite nice.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
It will be interesting to hear the difference in interior noise with the diesel. I guess if anyone can make it near silent, it should be MB!
I find diesels are all over the place in terms of noise, even the same motor in the same truck. Some I would pay a premium not to listen to that all day and some are quite nice.

The engine is darn near silent, you can barely tell it is a diesel
crazy2.gif

All Mercedes diesels since 1986 have been pretty quite inside the car.

The old 617 sounded a bit truck like but the double fire wall in the W126 really helped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back