2011 Ford 5.0 - Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
What oil does the factory recommend? Run it.

5W-20 SM/GF4 WSS-M2C930-A

That includes pretty much all the 5W-20 from WalMart Supertech on up.(Excepting a few Boutique Oils and Off Brands).

So are you saying just buy what evers cheaper?

Getting away from specific oil for a minute...

What does everyone think about the proper time to change based on the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor?

1. 1st OCI - 1000 miles.
2. 2nd OCI - 4000 miles.
3. After that according to the IOLM:
30% Life Left on Conventional (Actually Synblends for the most part).
0% Left Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

What does everyone think about the proper time to change based on the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor?

1. 1st OCI - 1000 miles.
2. 2nd OCI - 4000 miles.
0% Left Synthetic.

That's exactly what I would do, FWIW.

That includes pretty much all the 5W-20 from WalMart Supertech on up.(Excepting a few Boutique Oils and Off Brands).

Yep!!! if the engine would benefit from syn oil it would be recommended. If you were running it hard enough to get the oil real hot a syn oil or oil cooler would be a good idea. I bet you would be in jail before the oil would get too hot if driven on the street

Yep!!! The engine will last .

Yeah, Advance will be having a sale in a couple weeks that will be 5qt Synpower/Bosch Distanceplus for $27, I'd pick that and a few extra quarts up.

A good article about this engine in the April 2010 issue of Hot Rod magazine. Looks like a really trick engine. They say it is a proprietary engine to the new Mustang. I'd have one if they put it in a rwd sport sedan...

With an 8 quart capacity, I'd run Amsoil 0W-20(ASM) and a EaO oil filter for sure at one year-intervals and not be concerned at all about warranty.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
They say it is a proprietary engine to the new Mustang.

It is for now, but they said the same thing about the 3.7 V6 for Lincoln and we see how long that lasted.

They would be fools not to put this engine into the F150, and hopefully a new RWD sedan in a couple years.

Can never go wrong with mc, and I would use the mc filter. Could always use your full synthetic of choice if you are more comfortable. A ten k change, huh. Wow. Ps I envy you. My wife won t let me trade, lol

The 5.0L DOHC and 6.2L SOHC (From 2011 Superduty / 2010 F150 Raptor) will replace the 4.6L and 5.4L in the 2011 F150.

Ford makes such a Sport Sedan. Its called a Falcon and will be available with a 536 bhp Supercharged version of the 5.0 in the GTHO Model.

Now if we could just get Australia to send us one or two...

Last edited:
Ford makes such a Sport Sedan. Its called a Falcon and will be available with a 536 bhp Supercharged version of the 5.0 in the GTHO Model.

Yea I know, but I want to see the GRWD revived to make a rear drive sedan/coupe viable in all markets.

I've been jealous of the Boss 315 and the turbo 4.0L for some time now, the Coyote and EcoBoost 3.5 have placated me though.
grin2.gif

Back on the topic of weight. The new 5.0 is actually lighter than my 4.6 because it has an aluminum block. The mileage is just as good also. A new GT is not exactly a light-weight, but almost nothing is nowadays. My 81 BMW 320i weighed less than 2400 lbs. A new 3 series is about 1000 lbs. heavier.

< 3500Lbs isnt bad I thought I read when they went to the "lincoln LS /Jag platform" it was over 3800Lbs. I went to the Ford site and they didnt list weight under specs on the '11 - or I missed it.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
the 412 hp in the new one has me salivating.

I did at first, but not so much now. The new breed has an 11/1 compression ratio and aluminum pistons. Although the rods are a form of forged process the high compression and weaker piston is not going to be boost friendly. I would guess no more than 6-7 lbs. of boost before the factory build is borderline stressed for destruction.

I'm going to add 10PSI Whipple Twin Screw supercharger w/ intercooler to my 08 4.6L and call it a day, but that 5.0 for a natural aspirated setup is nice. I'm glad Ford finally caught up with GM for HP and MPG specs when it pertains to the muscle car category.

Nothing inherently wrong with powdered metal rods, they seem to hold up well. And it's not the piston that is the issue when tuned properly. We'll have to wait and see where Ford spec'd the ring gaps.

Like any high output engine it will be more challenging to mod, but they are already running high tens now.

Weighing in around 3580 for a lightly optioned test car.

I can't wait for my turn to drive one.

Last edited:
Agreed Steve.

The International DT444 for example ran powdered metal rods.

They are not inherently weak. It simply depends on the implementation.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT

1. 1st OCI - 1000 miles.
2. 2nd OCI - 4000 miles.
0% Left Synthetic.

That's exactly what I would do, FWIW.

Sounds good.

Originally Posted By: brsmith
412 HP and 3500 lbs isn't going to run high 10's. Maybe 12.80 on a good day.

There's a whole thread on it in the Vehicles section. Feel free to check it out. And yes, it's 412HP stock. Amazing what a few bolt-ons and a tune will do.

I just thought you were implying it will run 10's stock.

I didn't even look before my post, I just guessed by the HP and weight and when I looked it up, Motor Trend's test mule ran 12.8 at 110.

There is more left in that engine that is for sure, with less than $1200 worth of mods and tinkering, the old LS1 Camaros could run high tens.

The 2011 GT looks very impressive for a stock offering.

I am just wondering what Dodge is going to do to counter the new Z28 with 556 HP and the the new GT?

If it were up to me, I would take the new Gen 3 Hemi to 7.0 liters like the Gen 2 Hemi and up the ante to 600 HP.

The Challenger is heavier, but with 600 HP it would be a beast.

Originally Posted By: brsmith
There is more left in that engine that is for sure, with less than $1200 worth of mods and tinkering, the old LS1 Camaros could run high tens.

Only if that $1200 included a cam, slicks, a 200 shot and some hopes and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back