2011 Diesel Cars - VW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really want my next car to be a diesel. What do people think about the 2011 VW SportWagen TDI? Price seems right and is a decent looking car. Engine has awards and great reviews from Wards.

Holding out to see if the new Durango will have a diesel, but suspect if it does it will be way overpriced like the Grand Cherokee is rumored to be (Durango is same platform as the Jeep).

Anybody have a summary of what non-truck diesel powered cars are available for 2011 in the US?

bmw, mercedes, audi, vw are the ones I know about. The A3 diesel is of similar size to the jetta wagon but costs more. The new A7 is supposed to be available as a 3.0 diesel but will be freakishly expensive I would guess. The guys at TDIclub love the new vw diesel despite some reports of a fuel pump issue and the complex emissions system. I like the Golf 4 door tdi but don't own one. I hope VW someday brings their diesel electric hybrid golf concept and/or polo. Another one I'm hoping for but I bet won't make it to the US is the subaru boxer diesel in the outback/forester.

325d, x5d, a3, q7, golf, jetta, jetta wagon, toureg, e class, m class, r class, is the diesel cayenne available now in us?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
What do people think about the 2011 VW SportWagen TDI? Price seems right ..

Are the prices anywhere near list yet? A year ago they were in short supply and demanding a premium.

I guess I am now a member of the TDI cult, having just purchased a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Surprisingly, the deal was extremely easy to make with a discount from MSRP and a good trade-in for my Outback. I have filled it with fuel just once with 32 mpg, all around town mostly by my wife.

It is a fun car to drive with power to spare, rides extremely well, relatively quiet (tires are second rate), and handles like a sports car. Fit and finish are first rate, even the "leatherette" seats.

The exhaust system is complex and can be damaged if not operated correctly. This would be very costly I suspect. However, all it requires is periodic operation at temperature and held above 38 mph for 10 minutes. This is supposed to occur every few tanks of fuel and happens at the direction of the computer. If you screw up it informs you according to the manual and a mechanic has then to induce this with a VAG diagnostic machine. After some thought I decided it could be handled.

It also has somewhat different behavior starting from a full stop. There is no torque converter in the AT so applying heavy throttle immediately produces somewhat startling results. Since it is turbo charged, there is a slight, almost un-noticable lag. Between the two, it sort of pauses momentarily and takes off with a bang. Scared my wife the first time she drove it. For more normal takeoffs, one has to lightly apply the throttle until it just starts to move and then go as fast, or as slow, as one wants. It takes longer to explain than to learn and once this quirk is mastered it drives like anything else. I don't know what the 0-60 is, but 0-30 is really fast.

For $27,000, it is a great vehicle and fits nicely in even a tight garage. On the highway at 75 mph it really feels like a much bigger car and I read that one guy drove his 130 mph and would have gone faster except for the speed limiter.

I really like the new Sportwagen, seems like a great family car with huge cargo space.
As far as being complicated, well hybrids are the same or even more complicated, and new pzev cars with 3 O2 sensors and two or three cat converters are not much simpler either.

Originally Posted By: gfcrane
I guess I am now a member of the TDI cult, having just purchased a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Surprisingly, the deal was extremely easy to make with a discount from MSRP and a good trade-in for my Outback. I have filled it with fuel just once with 32 mpg, all around town mostly by my wife.

It is a fun car to drive with power to spare, rides extremely well, relatively quiet (tires are second rate), and handles like a sports car. Fit and finish are first rate, even the "leatherette" seats.

The exhaust system is complex and can be damaged if not operated correctly. This would be very costly I suspect. However, all it requires is periodic operation at temperature and held above 38 mph for 10 minutes. This is supposed to occur every few tanks of fuel and happens at the direction of the computer. If you screw up it informs you according to the manual and a mechanic has then to induce this with a VAG diagnostic machine. After some thought I decided it could be handled.

It also has somewhat different behavior starting from a full stop. There is no torque converter in the AT so applying heavy throttle immediately produces somewhat startling results. Since it is turbo charged, there is a slight, almost un-noticable lag. Between the two, it sort of pauses momentarily and takes off with a bang. Scared my wife the first time she drove it. For more normal takeoffs, one has to lightly apply the throttle until it just starts to move and then go as fast, or as slow, as one wants. It takes longer to explain than to learn and once this quirk is mastered it drives like anything else. I don't know what the 0-60 is, but 0-30 is really fast.

For $27,000, it is a great vehicle and fits nicely in even a tight garage. On the highway at 75 mph it really feels like a much bigger car and I read that one guy drove his 130 mph and would have gone faster except for the speed limiter.

Darn you!

I've been on the fence about a diseasel. My automotive experience has been limited to Army CUC-Vs (Blazer w/Detroit 6.2) and an ex from long ago that had an early VW Rabbit diesel (if you floored it long enough it would hit 62mph...natl. speed limit was 55mph at the time it was made so I guess that makes sense)

Then I drove a friend's New Beetle 1.9 TDi and found myself easily cruising at 10 mph over the posted 60mph speed limit. Let me emphasize "easily".

Then you post that informative bit above...got me second guessing spark ignition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back